Sidney Jones on the trading block

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
You make a good point Sun.
But, we have been burned before on this so many times.
If possible, at all, keep your DBs.

I know Tre is coming back. At least would like to see Tre in real games under live fire a few times before moving any competent DBs.

Tired of getting burned on the hot stove and we keep touching it. DBs are precious. In an NFL where the passing game is king, you either win by passing or you stop the pass.
If I thought we were going to make a deep playoff run this year, or if I thought he was going to be one of our three best corners for the next 2 or more years, I'd be right there with you. The importance of quality depth at corner is not lost on me.

I still think he's one of our 4 best corners. But, he has been beaten out by younger guys who are more likely to be part of the core moving forward, and, as exciting as this season has been thus far, I don't see a deep playoff run at the end of it. My heart says a scrappy over achieving team can make a run this year, my head says we're still 1 to 2 years away.

If we can move him to a team that needs a corner and pick up a draft pick I'm all for it.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Trade QB Lock, WR Hart, CB Jones, DE Collier, and LB Taylor + SEA ‘23, ‘24, ‘25 1st round picks for QB Johnson, RB Ingram, WR Hamler + DE Chubb and CB Surtain.

Move Tre Brown to FS, Diggs to SS. LOB 2.0 Complete.
Not a lot of boom in that LOB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not a lot of boom in that LOB.

I know I was just fooling around…
But you can’t tell me a Base Defense of…

DE Harris, Ford, Woods, Chubb
LB Nwosu, Brooks, Mafe
CB Surtain, SS Diggs, FS Brown, CB Woolen

…Doesn’t look great on paper by seasons end. With a pass rush Nickel Defense of

DE Mafe, DT Jefferson, DT Harris, DE Chubb
LB Uchenna, LB Brooks
DBs: 4 listed above
NCB Bryant

Brown is the biggest question mark but he has some Earl Thomas to his game: quick, explosive, and violent to the ball with the athleticism to cover a lot of range if healthy.

Diggs would be an undersized SS but has shown the capabilities of having a hit stick and being a ball hawk. I just think he might have lost a step or two with his injury and playing closer to the LOS might help to open his abilities. But they can rotate in Neal if they need more length on the back end and play with Brown at NCB if they need to matchup speed, a lot of options.

But yeah with all that said it’s better to just disregard this and reduce it as a rather silly exercise. But a man can dream.

Just for the record though Ingram and Hamler were kind of just throw ins on Denver’s side to help weed out those malcontents. Don’t really know if they’ll add anything to the offense other than depth.

flv2

Reaction score
Jones is on a 1 year $3.6M contract but $1.3M of that was a signing bonus which is now a sunk cost. That put him at #53 on Overthecap's average per season cost list for CB. The contract suggests he's a bottom-end starter or back-up. A potential trade partner is looking at a $2.3M pro-rata contract, which will probably be $1.5M for the rest of 2022, assuming he's active on game days. Logically he's worth less now to other teams than when he was a FA in March. That 10 or 11 game contract might be worth a mid 5th to mid 6th round pick for a CB needy contender. Replacing him with a UDFA minimum wage jag would save the Seahawks about $1M.