Sleeper candidate: Todd Monken?

James in PA

Reaction score
How about the Ravens' OC as as sleeper candidate if we are hell bent on an offensive guy and can't land Ben Johnson? Sure, he's 57. But remember, Harbaugh is 60. Before the Ravens this year, he won 2 Chips with Georgia as their OC. Not too shabby.

Scout

Reaction score
Monken is a great potential choice as I believe he runs a 4 verticals offense concept which is in line with modern NFL trends. The Hawks have plenty of talent to make his 4 verticals approach work and spread the field.

The only big sticking point would be what type of DC would he hire?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Just curious as to why at the age of 57, he hasn't already been a head coach or had interest. At some point in a career, you are either an up and comer or just good at what you do. The Peter Principle plays a huge roll in these things. For those not versed in this, the Peter Principle is basically being promoted based on your abilities to do your current job well, but not able to translate that success at a higher level. Maybe he enjoys the lower stress of being a coordinator. Maybe he has no aspirations of being a head coach. Harbaugh was mentioned as being 60. He has been a head coach at different levels of football for over 20 years. Big difference here.

Scout

Reaction score
Monken was seriously considered to take over after Koetter was fired as the Bucs HC. However, Arians expressed interest in returning to coaching and the rest is history.

But after Monken's stint as the Bucs OC he went on to continued success at his other stops. Monken I think does a better job translating his version of 4 verticals concepts better than the person he worked under (D. Koetter).

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I have been hoping that he would be interviewed. He has actually figured out how to turn Lamar into a true dual-threat QB instead of a run-first QB. Additionally, the Ravens are the #1 ranked rushing offense in the league this season. I think Monken's history at Cleveland and Tampa Bay as the OC isn't too stellar. But then again, he wasn't working with the talent that is on this roster.

Last edited:

AceBoogie715

Reaction score
As an Athens, GA native and avid Bulldawgs fan, I can attest to the fact that I would love to have Monken as a potential head coach. He won back-to-back titles with us at UGA and look at how he's managing the Ravens play calling this year. I am 100% for this.