Small sample size but is Schottenheimer>Bevell?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Seymour":ebaazl6t said:
SoulfishHawk":ebaazl6t said:
That call on 3rd and inches, after some nice runs earlier in the game. Are you kidding me, a rollout pass?
Run the damn ball. Felt very Bevellriffic. I love Pete, but him and his coaches got outcoached in this one, period.
Last season they had a PUTRID o-line, yet at times they would try to run it anyway, when they clearly couldn't. Yesterday, they clearly COULD run the ball and decided not to. Maddening to say the least.

Bad call for sure, made worse by Russell missing an easy wide open throw....by a lot. Many things about the offense to feel frustration with on Monday IMO.

I didn't personally think Russ had a bad day outside of the last drive.

The play call on 3rd and short with a pass instead of a run that would have been an easy first down was annoying though. There is no faith in the o line ever. All things considered, I didn't think the line was terrible but maybe I'm just wearing rose colored glasses.

Gotta give the ball to Carson more, Penny was a missed pick imo.

Don't be mad if Kerryon Johnson goes off tonight, that was the guy we should have picked.

Also why was no one brought in to compete at right tackle with Ifedi???

Pete's ego is a problem.

Seymour

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1s9xfg7c said:
Seymour":1s9xfg7c said:
SoulfishHawk":1s9xfg7c said:
That call on 3rd and inches, after some nice runs earlier in the game. Are you kidding me, a rollout pass?
Run the damn ball. Felt very Bevellriffic. I love Pete, but him and his coaches got outcoached in this one, period.
Last season they had a PUTRID o-line, yet at times they would try to run it anyway, when they clearly couldn't. Yesterday, they clearly COULD run the ball and decided not to. Maddening to say the least.

Bad call for sure, made worse by Russell missing an easy wide open throw....by a lot. Many things about the offense to feel frustration with on Monday IMO.

I didn't personally think Russ had a bad day outside of the last drive.

The play call on 3rd and short with a pass instead of a run that would have been an easy first down was annoying though. There is no faith in the o line ever. All things considered, I didn't think the line was terrible but maybe I'm just wearing rose colored glasses.

Don't be mad if Kerryon Johnson goes off tonight, that was the guy we should have picked.

Also why was no one brought in to compete at right tackle with Ifedi???

Pete's ego is a problem.

I would agree that Pete's ego is a very big part of several problems. The idea that one man's trash is another man's treasure has worked just enough to keep him rolling with too much trash.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":oaumyjcg said:
charcoalbg":oaumyjcg said:
From my amateur replay of watching the game. I say it is an improvement with more check down options than long developing plays with no one within line of scrimmage.

i noticed that as well, and Wilson was taking those checkdowns more often. Penny and Carson are nice little options on that. It was the difference between a mediocre-to-bad first half offense and one of those embarrassing, jaw-dropping stats like "9 passing yards in the first half" that we kept having last year.

I agree with this. Throughout the game it felt like there were non-Pete-bomb options for Russell to take. Last year first half would have been Russ dropping back 10, staring, staring, nothing, with us screaming what is it? Nobody open? Russ won't pull the trigger? What? 3 and out.

Now I do think that were it not for Earl's INT we quite possible have only 3 points in the first half and then the Bevell criticism looks more apt, but I didn't come out of the first half or the game thinking all we had in our playbook was deep drops.

I hope Schotty hammers Russ to take the check-down even more, take it all he wants until he sucks the defense up a little.

Maybe Russ could even find a check-down with an obvious pre-snap corner blitz read.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Schotty is very likely better than Bevel but it isn't hard to beat out someone that was in charge of an offense that literally averaged less than 7 pts in the 1st HALF over the entire year. Being better than terrible does not make someone good.

What Wilson really needs is an imaginative, creative playcaller that can leverage his strengths. We did not get that in our OC. We got a retread.

Q: What do retreads get you?

A: Less traction and a risk for the wheels to fall off

chris98251

Reaction score
Loved the use of TE's and the hot reads, Wilson ignored or missed some also, we used the screen, have to get better at selling it however, the deep ball was working with play action. Different looks and yes we need to fine tune things, but I seen improvement in play calling and spreading things around, remember if we don't have three distinct penalties we are in position for at least another field goal minimum and have another Touchdown.

misfit

Reaction score
They're not letting Russ run at all. That part of it is terrible and is going to cost them.

Rest of the offense I like a lot and some of the play design and routes, and use of tight ends I liked a lot.

sdog1981

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3tnespqv said:

Well following your logic of determining a player's entire career off of their first game then Carry-On Johnson is a smoldering pile of garbage. 5 carries 17 yards.

It is hard to tell which OC is good and which one is bad. Long story short Bevell should have been fired after 49 and we should be in starting year 4 of Wilson in a new system. All OC's deserve three seasons to fully implement their system with a QB. Look at Kyle Shanny he was bad when he first got to Atlanta then he got that offense really going.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sdog1981":196kdfvs said:
NFSeahawks628":196kdfvs said:

Well following your logic of determining a player's entire career off of their first game then Carry-On Johnson is a smoldering pile of garbage. 5 carries 17 yards.

It is hard to tell which OC is good and which one is bad. Long story short Bevell should have been fired after 49 and we should be in starting year 4 of Wilson in a new system. All OC's deserve three seasons to fully implement their system with a QB. Look at Kyle Shanny he was bad when he first got to Atlanta then he got that offense really going.

Thing that really scares me is the 3 and outs. If you watch other games this doesn't happen unless you are a bottom tier team. Run 1st down, pass, pass, is so predicable. I'm sure I am not the only one who watches other teams play against each other and say " oh wow, that was a good mixture of plays".

sdog1981

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":capkdfgf said:
Thing that really scares me is the 3 and outs. If you watch other games this doesn't happen unless you are a bottom tier team. Run 1st down, pass, pass, is so predicable. I'm sure I am not the only one who watches other teams play against each other and say " oh wow, that was a good mixture of plays".

Also a very good point. The Pete offense was supposed to be run balanced. But this team has been pass happy for a few years.

Just look at the very first offense series. Three straight passes with NO completions. That is bad and that needs to change. In some ways, 3 runs that get 9 yards on the first possession would feel like a win because at least the team was moving forward.

sc85sis

Reaction score
“Carroll said accounting for the elevation is why there was some added rotation at some positions and he specifically cited, when asked about it, the tailback spot where Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny each played 25 of the team’s 57 offensive snaps.

“‘He felt it,’ Carroll said of Carson and the altitude. ‘Those guys were feeling it a little bit.’”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... -and-more/

xray

Reaction score
16 run plays 39 pass plays. This is Pete Carroll's offence still trying to make good on his promise to get a MVP award for Wilson. As long as Carroll is at the helm get used to the same old same old. I have thought for the last two years that the common denominator for the down slide is Pete Carroll. He is the oldest head coach in the NFL, and it shows.He is not keeping up with the evolution of the NFL. The best thing would be a 6-10 season and Paul Allen fires Carroll. :irishdrinkers:

truehawksfan

Reaction score
No.

Shotty uses TEs and RBs in the pass game. It took Bevell years to figure how to incorporate Jimmy into the pass game. It took Shotty one game to use Dissly. Dissly had 25 career receptions and around 300 yards during his college years. He'll reach those numbers in 8 games.

I expect hot reads, more short passes, more max protect against the Bears.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few things different that I noticed:

1. Greater use of patterns over the middle. Even if they didn't always succeed.
2. Good targeting of backs/TEs. Could have been a byproduct of losing Baldwin early though.
3. Far fewer bubble screens.
4. Still no commitment to the run.
5. Better protection than last couple years. Denver has a very good pass rush. I thought the protection was pretty adequate. Not stellar. But definitely not a dumpster fire either.
6. Seemed a definite effort to keep Wilson where he's supposed to be in the pocket. Ultimately this is going to be key as the years go on. Wilson is going to lose his elusive quality at some point in the near future. His ability to remain a top tier QB is going to depend entirely on his transition to a traditional delivery QB.
7. Seemed to be more under center snaps. There were some games where Wilson didn't seem to have any of those. Haven't quantified that though. Just an impression.

On point 4, I have no way of knowing whether that's Pete or Brian. But it really felt like this game belied the lip service we got all offseason. And I'm not talking about situational running options. Seattle was very pass heavy early and in down/distance where either play was appropriate.

It's only one game. So can't really tell much of the differences that will manifest through the season. Overall though I got the sense that the offense is moving away from the frenetic (and sometimes dynamic) design during Bevell's tenure. Fewer chunk yardage shots downfield it seemed -- which could have been by design based on altitude and opponent.

Fade

Reaction score
The 3rd down offense is a byproduct of Pete wanting to be a homerun offense. It leads to more 3rd and longs which are very hard to convert. (Unless you're going against the Seahawks D.)

Normal Offenses spend 1st down calling a high percentage play that can get them 4-5 yards. To setup 2nd & 3rd manageable situations.

Too often the Seahawks love to call homerun shots on 1st down, which leads to being in 2nd/3rd and long.

They need to be better on 1st down so they can be better on 3rd down.

Also to on 3rd down they need to run RPO's when it is 3rd and manageable. Pete Carroll's offense looks straight out of the 80s/90's.

Schotty has improved it some, but Schotty can only do so much when Carroll insists it remains mostly his playbook.

I would love to see more designed rollouts for Russell early in games. Personally I think it settles him down, and allows him to get into a better rhythm. Plus it terrifies opposing defenses, the opponents want Russell to stay in the pocket. RW's 50 yard bomb to Lockett came on a designed rollout. Pete needs stop making this harder than it is.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":33zi54kg said:
The 3rd down offense is a byproduct of Pete wanting to be a homerun offense. It leads to more 3rd and longs which are very hard to convert. (Unless you're going against the Seahawks D.)

Normal Offenses spend 1st down calling a high percentage play that can get them 4-5 yards. To setup 2nd & 3rd manageable situations.

Too often the Seahawks love to call homerun shots on 1st down, which leads to being in 2nd/3rd and long.

Also to on 3rd down they need to run RPO's when it is 3rd and manageable. Pete Carroll's offense looks straight out of the 80s/90's.

Schotty has improved it some, but Schotty can only do so much when Carroll insists it remains mostly his playbook.

I would love to see more designed rollouts for Russell early in games. Personally I think it settles him down, and allows him to get into a better rhythm. Plus it terrifies opposing defenses, the opponents want Russell to stay in the pocket. RW's 50 yard bomb to Lockett came on a designed rollout. Pete needs stop making this harder than it is.
That call on third and short is actually something Schottenheimer did a lot on the Rams, Jets, hell even in Georgia. The was a Schotty call 100 percent. The call actually worked out, we could have had a big gain, and Russ even got good protection on that play, and we had a wide open receiver. Russ just wasn't able to seal the deal. That being said expect a lot more of these third and short calls.

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1r3zuaq8 said:
Fade":1r3zuaq8 said:

That call on third and short is actually something Schottenheimer did a lot on the Rams, Jets, hell even in Georgia. The was a Schotty call 100 percent. The call actually worked out, we could have had a big gain, and Russ even got good protection on that play, and we had a wide open receiver. Russ just wasn't able to seal the deal. That being said expect a lot more of these third and short calls.

That wasn't an RPO. That was a traditional play action boot.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Why are play callers so stubborn
They see other teams come up with something new and just stay with the same garbage that doesn't always work just banging their heads against the wall
I know you have to have the personnel for some things but we need to get creative to survive this season
I like Solari but not sure about Schotty
I remember bevell at least adjusted well for the 2nd half most of the time and were a mash unit but I'm concerned about the team as a whole
Lets at least run the hell out of the ball

RCATES

Reaction score
kf3339":2slql0o8 said:
Our OC wasn't the problem today.

Careful putting Wilson into a negative light is frowned upon here at .Net

OP
OP
S

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
LOL, I think we can clearly see the answer. Russ is scared and this offense dont work! They're trying to make him a pocket passer, which he is not.

bandiger

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":2on1xhng said:
LOL, I think we can clearly see the answer. Russ is scared and this offense dont work! They're trying to make him a pocket passer, which he is not.

I don't know whats up. We have known for years up tempo, short passing has worked so well instead they go for opposite much of the game. All I can do is blame Pete for his stubbornness and sticking to some old school style of offense.

Latest posts