Snap Counts verses Rams

Jville

Reaction score
Interestingly, against the Rams the Hawks averaged just over 5 defensive backs on the field per play, but they achieved that by playing with fewer bodies on the defensive line than at linebacker. They averaged just 2.1 defensive lineman per play, compared to 3.9 linebackers on the field per snap.

Interesting mix of defensive personnel groups for the Rams game. Clint Hurtt kept a lot of speed on the field. Resulting in the team restricting the passing yardage to only 178 yards while collecting 2 take away intersceptions.

Week 13 Defense

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Defense looked like absolute trash the first Rams drive but actually settled in and played well the rest of the game. Even the other LA touchdown came after what would have been a 3 and out at a different point in the game.

The caveat to this was how often we failed setting an edge. We got beat on numerous naked bootlegs.

Irvin--who has looked good for us at other points since rejoining the team this year--got washed out or played himself out of position multiple times.

The other interesting thing is Barton, who continues his propensity to make a few stand out plays in key moments (not just the INT, either) while still regularly being out of position at other points.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Defense looked like absolute trash the first Rams drive but actually settled in and played well the rest of the game. Even the other LA touchdown came after what would have been a 3 and out at a different point in the game.

The caveat to this was how often we failed setting an edge. We got beat on numerous naked bootlegs.

Irvin--who has looked good for us at other points since rejoining the team this year--got washed out or played himself out of position multiple times.

The other interesting thing is Barton, who continues his propensity to make a few stand out plays in key moments (not just the INT, either) while still regularly being out of position at other points.
They scored 1 less point in the second half, 10 points in the fourth quarter. When did our defense turn it around exactly? Mind you, this was a team that was extremely one dimensional because they had a limited QB that couldn't throw past 30 yards down the field.

They still were able to break off big runs later into the game. Sure, it didn't happen as much in the second half -- but it still did happen.

The Rams and Bucs were the worst rushing teams in the NFL and they were able to run almost at will on us. In the case of the Rams, they didn't even have a competent passer under center.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, they allowed the Rams to move the ball downfield at will and gave up the lead. Not turned around. Hope they can get back to more disciplined football on Defense like they did during the 4 game winning streak.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
They scored 1 less point in the second half, 10 points in the fourth quarter. When did our defense turn it around exactly? Mind you, this was a team that was extremely one dimensional because they had a limited QB that couldn't throw past 30 yards down the field.

They still were able to break off big runs later into the game. Sure, it didn't happen as much in the second half -- but it still did happen.

The Rams and Bucs were the worst rushing teams in the NFL and they were able to run almost at will on us. In the case of the Rams, they didn't even have a competent passer under center.
Well, they actually scored three less in the second half, not 1. I also already adressed the TD in the 4th quarter in the post you quoted. They got beat up after the 4th down conversion but that would have been a 3 and out if it wasn't the 4th quarter.

The two FGs after the first quarter both came on relatively short fields, so keeping them to FGs wasn't terrible.

I don't see how it is difficult to see the turnaround in the game. The Rams had almost half of their total yardage in the first quarter.

And in terms of the long runs, they only had one designed run play go for more than 5 in the second half (on the drive we've already addressed), compared to 7 or 8 in the first half. I think that's a pretty significant downturn.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I've long since realized that many fans of the telecast miss the change in defensive plan from week to week as well as changes in mix of personnel from snap to snap. Personnel choices in the Rams game suggest to me that the defensive plan going into the game was to clamp down on passing game as the priority. Make them one dimensional. Statistical publications such as snap counts can sometimes offer clues to fans for discovering what they missed during the emotional experience of game day.

This is still a young defensive group discovering each other's traits and working on their communication. This is also year one of Clint Hurtt's emerging version of a Vic Fangio's defensive philosophy and schemes. Where as, this is year two of Shane Waldron's version of Sean McVay's philosophy and schemes.

One might anticipate there will be some significant defensive personnel changes during the next so called off season. In the meantime, why not enjoy witnessing the "process" of team evolution from series to series and from game to game.

I would add, that as Pete Carroll continues with his journey, he sets a remarkable example in delegating authority to those committed to his program. Remarkable in an exemplitory and uncommon way.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was reviewing the defensive snap counts. I found a correlation that when Cody Barton plays 50 -60% or less of the snaps the Seahawks seem to win games and the defense plays better overall. The past three weeks his total snap count has been avg around 81% and the defense has been suspect.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BartCo00/fantasy/2022

Not sure why he is all of sudden playing more than he was during the mid season win streak. Probably should have stuck to playing him less.

Barton's not the only issue as the DL is another big problem. Poona Ford used to be solid against the run and now it seems he gets stonewalled a lot. I think 3-4 change doesn't suit him well. Mone is meh. They needed to upgrade the DL (interior) and didn't do it. When the offense puts up 30+ points game, there is no way they should be losing those. They have lost 2 games - Saints and Raiders (both beatable teams) due to porous defense after putting up 32 and 34 points respectively.

Last edited: