SNF: Packers at the Falcons.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
PackerNation":27lljzx3 said:
adeltaY":27lljzx3 said:
The score might not show it, but GB played ATL waaaay better than they did in the NFCCG. Pack was missing Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Daniels, Jordy, etc. for most of the game. They still got some good stops on defense but just couldn't keep up consistently. Kevin King allowed 0 catches on 4 targets and even broke up a pass to Julio Jones.

Yea, I picked us to lose that game and if we didn't commit (or get called for) some timely penalties, we were actually right in the thick of it and played them alright. Their offense is scary good and our defense got exposed. especially when we lost Daniels.

Kevin King will be a stud back there in a year or two. That guy has got some serious ball skills. Not sure why Capers or the rest of the defensive coaches are not starting him in front of Randall and Rollins. Letting Hayward escape to the San Diego Chargers (They will always be San Diego to me) was a mistake. Josh Jones got playing time too and looked good.

If the Packer defense can just play average or a little above, we'll be in the thick of it come playoff time. Long way to go and we are already looking like a MASH unit. Cobb left as well with a shoulder injury. If any of these are serious, it will be a pretty big hit.

The packers will never have a "stud" RB until Rodgers is gone. And if they take the ball out of Rodgers hands IMO their offense is worse. Lacey was looking to be dominant and how did that work out for the Packers.

And no matter how good their D looks in the regular season come playoff time they always fold like a cheap tent. Rodgers Superbowl year where they snuck into the playoffs in a 3 way tie? The defense somehow managed to pull it together for a few games and they won it all

PackerNation

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3kx5t6g0 said:
The packers will never have a "stud" RB until Rodgers is gone. And if they take the ball out of Rodgers hands IMO their offense is worse. Lacey was looking to be dominant and how did that work out for the Packers.

And no matter how good their D looks in the regular season come playoff time they always fold like a cheap tent. Rodgers Superbowl year where they snuck into the playoffs in a 3 way tie? The defense somehow managed to pull it together for a few games and they won it all

We are a pass first offense, for sure. But having a decent run game, IMO, is essential to winning it all and having long term success. Ty Montgomery fills that role now and he is pretty good. Nothing earth shattering but he gets the job done. Lacy did not like Green Bay or the coaches and wanted out. He let him walk. Frankly, we were sick of him. I did notice he was a healthy scratch for Seattle yesterday. You have better RB's in Carson and Rawls. Lacy might not finish the season with you.

Our issue is defense. They don't fold like a cheap suit, they are just not that great and when facing the best teams, especially offensive teams, they just do not measure up. I liked us against anyone last year, except Atlanta. They are too good and too balanced.

You are wrong about our 2010 defense though. They were dominant. It was a our offense not getting in sync.... but they put it all together at the right time, won all their playoff games on the road and then won the Super Bowl. Quite a feat.

2011, we lost Bishop and Collins to injury and let Cullen Jenkins walk. Capers also made a systematic change to how our DL played it's gaps. It was one of the big reasons BJ Raji played so terribly. Our defense was never the same after we lost Collins though. He was our Earl Thomas in the backfield., despite the fact that the offense was a point scoring juggernaut. They collapsed and played terribly at the wrong time.

Such is life in the NFL.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
ivotuk":29wvy76c said:
And that Super bowl loss was the worst in history. We lost on a great play by Malcolm Butler. Atlanta will never be comfortable with a lead ever again and it will cost them.

Anyone who's been a Falcons fan for any length of time has never been comfortable with a lead. When the Patriots scored to cut the lead to 28-12 my brother texted me "We're gonna blow this bro."

LOL

I can remember quite a few games over the years where the defense couldn't shut the door.

Most recently the 2012 NFC championship (Falcons 17, 49ers 0 = 49ers 28, Falcons 24) and of course Super Bowl LI.

I don't blame that loss on anyone but Kyle Shanahan. We're up 28-3 and he's calling passing plays. The game was over when Julio made that catch... our K is money in the bank... why weren't we running it and kicking the FG for the win? I can go on and on.

I'm over it though... although I admit I didn't watch the first thing related to football from about 14 seconds after the Super Bowl ended until a few days before the season started. So we blew the Super Bowl? Oh well. We're on to the next season.

See you guys at CenturyLink on November 20th.

8)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":ttv8sdqj said:
ivotuk":ttv8sdqj said:
And that Super bowl loss was the worst in history. We lost on a great play by Malcolm Butler. Atlanta will never be comfortable with a lead ever again and it will cost them.

Anyone who's been a Falcons fan for any length of time has never been comfortable with a lead. When the Patriots scored to cut the lead to 28-12 my brother texted me "We're gonna blow this bro."

LOL

I can remember quite a few games over the years where the defense couldn't shut the door.

Most recently the 2012 NFC championship (Falcons 17, 49ers 0 = 49ers 28, Falcons 24) and of course Super Bowl LI.

I don't blame that loss on anyone but Kyle Shanahan. We're up 28-3 and he's calling passing plays. The game was over when Julio made that catch... our K is money in the bank... why weren't we running it and kicking the FG for the win? I can go on and on.

I'm over it though... although I admit I didn't watch the first thing related to football from about 14 seconds after the Super Bowl ended until a few days before the season started. So we blew the Super Bowl? Oh well. We're on to the next season.

8)
Ha Ha-I was wondering if you would ever pop up in here again.
You was on a very high horse before that Super Bowl and I understood why.
Your team took that losing the SB wtf monkey off our backs.
I enjoyed watching the Pack get spanked.
Cannot wait for your team to visit the Emerald city.

LolaRox

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1vxkiypt said:

Not true - Packer's defense was damn good that year, they were top 5 and ranked pretty high in takeaways.

The only reason that sticks with me is because one of the criticisms of Russ has been that he had a top defense when he won the SB. That is true, but so did Rodgers, but no one ever seems to mention it.

ptisme

Reaction score
LolaRox":hcggk9sr said:
WilsonMVP":hcggk9sr said:

Not true - Packer's defense was damn good that year, they were top 5 and ranked pretty high in takeaways.

The only reason that sticks with me is because one of the criticisms of Russ has been that he had a top defense when he won the SB. That is true, but so did Rodgers, but no one ever seems to mention it.
I see what you're getting at however.... Since SB 45 GB's defenses have been epically bad in the playoffs. Rodgers doesn't need the Seahawks defenses to win it all, top 15 should be good...

adeltaY

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1woigusj said:
ivotuk":1woigusj said:

LOL

8)

What about Freeman completely forgetting to block Hightower en route to his strip sack of Ryan? Or Ryan himself for taking a sack that contributed to y'all not being in FG range? Robert Alford failing to pick off Brady on that crazy Edelman catch? Shanahan was a huge reason the Falcons had one of the best offenses of all time. There's no way y'all make it that far without him. It took the offense one season to get in sync with him (Alex Mack helped a lot with that) and then they were off to the races all of 2016.

I feel like many fanbases do this: blame the guy who deserves some blame, but hey he's not in town anymore so we can put all the blame on him and now we'll be good because he's gone and he was the only reason we didn't win. Honestly, if Pete actually did fire Cable and Bevell, many of us would convince ourselves the offense would get much better quickly, which is super unlikely.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1tsh3cvt said:
FalconsFanNW":1tsh3cvt said:

8)
Ha Ha-I was wondering if you would ever pop up in here again.
You was on a very high horse before that Super Bowl and I understood why.
Your team took that losing the SB wtf monkey off our backs.
I enjoyed watching the Pack get spanked.
Cannot wait for your team to visit the Emerald city.

Heh... yeah I'm back. Like I said I didn't do anything related to football from the end of LI to the week 1 kickoff. Check my post history over at Falcons.com... you won't find any. :)

It's the kind of loss that makes you want to vomit for 6 months... but whatever... it was the year of the choke job. The Warriors blew the 3-1 lead, the Indians blew the 3-1 lead... and the Falcons blew the 25 point lead. What are the odds?

I still think back wondering what the hell just happened?

Looking forward to the MNF game on 11/20. By then we'll know just how good the Falcons and Seahawks are.

adeltaY":1tsh3cvt said:
FalconsFanNW":1tsh3cvt said:

What about Freeman completely forgetting to block Hightower en route to his strip sack of Ryan? Or Ryan himself for taking a sack that contributed to y'all not being in FG range? Robert Alford failing to pick off Brady on that crazy Edelman catch? Shanahan was a huge reason the Falcons had one of the best offenses of all time. There's no way y'all make it that far without him. It took the offense one season to get in sync with him (Alex Mack helped a lot with that) and then they were off to the races all of 2016.

I feel like many fanbases do this: blame the guy who deserves some blame, but hey he's not in town anymore so we can put all the blame on him and now we'll be good because he's gone and he was the only reason we didn't win. Honestly, if Pete actually did fire Cable and Bevell, many of us would convince ourselves the offense would get much better quickly, which is super unlikely.

I guess I worded it wrong... as said I can go on and on. Is it 100% Shanahan's fault? Of course not... but he still IMHO is the biggest contributing factor. Think about it for a second... how do you blow a 25 point lead in 17 minutes while scoring 0 points with an offense that was top 10 all time?

Had never happened before... and will probably never happen again. Everything... and I mean everything had to fall the Pats way... and it did. Those plays you mentioned obviously helped with the loss... but it still begs the question why were we passing with a 25 point lead?

I guess you go with what got you there eh? Whatever.. LOL I actually laugh about it now because the Falcons are forever written into football lore as the biggest chokers in history.

Lets see if they learn from it this season. They improved on defense... with more talent and are young... average age of 24 I think. If the offense is even remotely good as it was last season with NFL MVP Ryan at the helm the Falcons will be in the running for another Super Bowl appearance.

You can't really determine how great a team is after 2 weeks... but looking at the entire NFC as a whole there isn't a single team I'm worried about.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'd like to thank Beasley and the other dude for crushing Erin Rodgers in that game. Nothing better than seeing that cocky asswipe get smoked out there.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18rl8kh8 said:
I'd like to thank Beasley and the other dude for crushing Erin Rodgers in that game. Nothing better than seeing that cocky asswipe get smoked out there.

21640948 1629057477140934 3135198315888290364 o

Similar to the meme that came out following the 2014 Seattle/GB opener at the Clink...

LolaRox

Reaction score
ptisme":1ncvmtmb said:
LolaRox":1ncvmtmb said:
WilsonMVP":1ncvmtmb said:

I see what you're getting at however.... Since SB 45 GB's defenses have been epically bad in the playoffs. Rodgers doesn't need the Seahawks defenses to win it all, top 15 should be good...

I wasn't getting at anything, just pointing out how people forget how good the Packers' defense was that year and that Charles Woodson's leadership had a huge impact. When looking backwards, people rarely acknowledge that, but always do when talking about RW and even young Ben & young Brady.

I don't know what will get the Packers (or any other team for that matter) over the hump, but their defense has only been outside the top 15 a few times since winning the SB. No matter how great a QB is they all need something else (coaching, running game, defense, OL...)