So, Camp is over.....

kf3339

Reaction score
There are several things I would like to see this season. Both from specific position groups and team philosophy as a whole.

On position groups I would like to see an average and reasonably competent offensive Line. I know we all want that but really even a slightly below average line would be a big improvement from last year. That includes a center who actually knows what the hell he is doing from the very start.

On defense I would like to see a real effort to incorporate a penetrating 3tech in our base defense in addition to the sub packages. Having Rubin and Mebane on the line meant no penetration at all. If Reed can't develop quickly as a guy who can also push the pocket then I think Rubin should be removed for Hill, Jefferson or whoever can push the pocket and penetrate the line on first and second downs, as well as obvious passing downs. Make the other teams QB sweat with fear.

As for team philosophy I have one on each side of the ball as well....

On offense as has already been mentioned above I would like us to stop giving the first half of games away with a pathetic and predictable game plan that creates few or even no points. We should be stomping on teams hard the first half and make them have to abandon their game plans to try and catch up. Make them have to pass every down and we can then key on their QB and create sacks and interceptions.

On defense I would like to see an attacking game plan that makes other teams afraid of us. I don't mean every down, but enough that they can't get comfortable in their offense. Change things up and make them react to us, instead of it being the opposite. We are too predictable at times and good teams know how to attack us at will.

Now, I seriously doubt anything I say above will be done because PC just doesn't believe in these philosophies from what I can see. So we will probably all see another season where we will not establish comfortable leads until the fourth quarter of games, it at all. What is weird is that was not the way he coached at SC. Those teams would blow opponents out.

kf3339

Reaction score
sc85sis":1k62wnmr said:
Ad Hawk":1k62wnmr said:
I know it goes against our coach's philosophy, but I'd like to see our offense come out strong in games, get an early lead, and still win out the game on the ground in the 4th.

Fewer "hearstoppers" in terms of comebacks/close wins would be nice to see.
It's not against Pete's philosophy. He's always said he'd love to score more early. He just believes that even if you do, you still need to finish strong. So "It's not how you start" isn't a literal statement implying it's OK to be lousy early—it's more a statement of always having the fortitude to come back and win in the event your start is less than stellar.

But even if it's not a literal statement about "it's not how you start", the implication is that the finish is the key. Personally, I think he does minimize the start whether he states it, or not.

kf3339

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":394kkv5q said:
I know it goes against our coach's philosophy, but I'd like to see our offense come out strong in games, get an early lead, and still win out the game on the ground in the 4th.

No matter what others may say, I agree.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
kf3339":29xedtdh said:
sc85sis":29xedtdh said:
Ad Hawk":29xedtdh said:

It's not against Pete's philosophy. He's always said he'd love to score more early. He just believes that even if you do, you still need to finish strong. So "It's not how you start" isn't a literal statement implying it's OK to be lousy early—it's more a statement of always having the fortitude to come back and win in the event your start is less than stellar.

But even if it's not a literal statement about "it's not how you start", the implication is that the finish is the key. Personally, I think he does minimize the start whether he states it, or not.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant, but didn't say. As you mentioned in your other post, the vanilla game plans make the first quarter hard to watch. I'd love to see our execution be crisp, the running game hard to stop. Holmgren's approach of "we're going to run it down your throat, you know it's coming, and you can't stop it" is what I'd love to see.

With this said, I remember a discussion a while back where this gameplan draws the opponents defense to show their hand in coverages. Then we take advantage of those tendencies. This makes sense in the overall chess-match, and I hope we continue to do so with less drama, come-from-behinds, and the requirement of long 4th-quarter drives to succeed.

Ok, as long as we win, I'll just keep quiet. How's that? :lol:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
kf3339":24bo5zxy said:
Ad Hawk":24bo5zxy said:

No matter what others may say, I agree.

:2thumbs:

RussB

Reaction score
Like everyone else i just want the o line to be atleast decent and serviceable unlike most of last year. I have no doubt the D will be good this year like always , there will be no distractions like cary trashman williams or kams holdout. Offense should also be legit.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1pqz5cx8 said:
Oh damn...you won with that one.

Yeah I think I may have to break up with Angie Mentink for Jackie.

nrayorr

Reaction score
A lot more dominant O line than what we have had the last few years. To tell you the truth I think our line will be improved from last season. I pray that the line will hold strong in pass protection so that we can start strong and finish strong. Give RW time in the pocket he will find his receivers.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I'd like to see a competitive and competent offensive line. A healthy Richardson. More deep passes. Less jet sweeps. A calm and focused Baldwin. An angry and smack talking Sherman. Tanzania. Painted end zones. And reasonably priced beer.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
nrayorr":1k4rdho2 said:
A lot more dominant O line than what we have had the last few years. To tell you the truth I think our line will be improved from last season. I pray that the line will hold strong in pass protection so that we can start strong and finish strong. Give RW time in the pocket he will find his receivers.
Correct. Give Wilson 3-4 seconds in an actual pocket and who gives a damn if the defense is ridiculously good. This league is all about the quarterback and by extension his OL. With actual time a good quarterback will eviscerate any defense possible under the current rules. Deal with it already. Or hasn't anybody actually watched New England for the past 15 years? Why is Tom Brady so good? It's because he is able to and willing to change his offense to attack any defense's weakness on the fly because the rules allow it and demand it.

It's sickening but the rules are rules and it's arrogant not to take advantage of them. His whole game is about stop me if you can and nobody can except in rare occasions. And you better be either the Seahawks on defense or have a quarterback that plays on his level. We had the former and it usually works. Now we have the latter and that always works especially if your defense is above average via the current rules.

chris98251

Reaction score
New England has always had a decent defense to very good, they have sacrificed the O line and the RB position much like we have. When their lineman get to expensive it's take a pay cut or traded.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":ochn5cjk said:
New England has always had a decent defense to very good, they have sacrificed the O line and the RB position much like we have. When their lineman get to expensive it's take a pay cut or traded.
Read my edited post Chris. :D

NINEster

Reaction score
hawker84":gxqchfr0 said:
historic defense. Because as we've seen nothing beats a great defense, not even the best offense in history. :mrgreen:

That's usually because the best offense doesn't have a top 10 defense to accompany it.

'89 49ers eviscerated the #1 D of Denver led by Wade Phillips because they had a top 5 D themselves.

Imagine if the Seahawks faced Peyton Manning with 80% of the defense that just won this last Super Bowl?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NINEster":3pfn8772 said:
hawker84":3pfn8772 said:
historic defense. Because as we've seen nothing beats a great defense, not even the best offense in history. :mrgreen:

That's usually because the best offense doesn't have a top 10 defense to accompany it.

'89 49ers eviscerated the #1 D of Denver led by Wade Phillips because they had a top 5 D themselves.

Imagine if the Seahawks faced Peyton Manning with 80% of the defense that just won this last Super Bowl?
We did but our offensive philosophy was stupid because we forced everything through Lynch despite being absolutely loaded on offense, well that needs to change like yesterday. Screw playing around with the prey for 3/4th's of the game like a cat. Let's be a raptor like our nickname and swoop in for the kill from the jump. I'm tired of Pete not trusting his offense to win straight up. It's old and stupid especially when you have an elite quarterback that can win games with no defense if you actually let him off the leash.

Pound and ground really works when you end the game the first chance you get like the old Dallas and San Francisco teams. Everyone knew it was done in five minutes unless the opponent was actually good, really good. And could hit back quick and ground and pound exactly the same.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":6jb76tlv said:
Aros":6jb76tlv said:
More of Jackie Montgomery...

CgXSxH2UkAASmX7

And a BEAST of an OL!
Oh damn...you won with that one.

OK, that's definitely a good choice. Thought all hope was lost for AROS when he had the hots for Angie Mentink :shock:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
NINEster":35jg5ggt said:
hawker84":35jg5ggt said:

Oh good gawd.. They still would have gotten crushed. Leave it to a 9er fan to try to water down and Seahawk victory.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Health. I hope to see previously injured guys like Richardson, Simon, and Lane get a full season of work. I hope to see Graham and Rawls return to form. I hope Wagner avoids getting dinged up and missing games.

If the Hawks stay healthy, I think Kearly's and ACFan's hopes come true.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I want to see blue and green confetti raining down at the end of the Superb Owl. :D

Latest posts