So, Camp is over.....

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":skpp5ja0 said:
hawker84":skpp5ja0 said:
historic defense. Because as we've seen nothing beats a great defense, not even the best offense in history. :mrgreen:

That's usually because the best offense doesn't have a top 10 defense to accompany it.

'89 49ers eviscerated the #1 D of Denver led by Wade Phillips because they had a top 5 D themselves.

Imagine if the Seahawks faced Peyton Manning with 80% of the defense that just won this last Super Bowl?

I think you might be forgetting that Manning's offense scored eight points. Are you implying that Seattle couldn't score nine or more points against that defense? Special teams and defense scored more than that alone.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ot2oq8c2 said:
This league is all about the quarterback and by extension his OL. With actual time a good quarterback will eviscerate any defense possible under the current rules. Deal with it already.

See Super Bowl XLVIII, Super Bowl XLIX (right up until the point the defense that had control of the game lost too many players to injury), and Super Bowl 50.

Dominant defenses can and do shut down elite quarterbacks in championship games (XLVIII and XLIX until Avril went out). A dominant defense isn't enough, it needs to be coupled with an adequate offense (Denver - Super Bowl 50), but a historically elite offense with a simply adequate defense won't get it done (Denver - XLVIII).

If our defense goes from elite to all time great again, I won't worry because our offense will either be top ten or top 5 depending on our offensive line. Either will get the job done if the defense does their part and doesn't fall apart at the end of games like they did several times last year.

MizzouHawkGal":ot2oq8c2 said:
Or hasn't anybody actually watched New England for the past 15 years? Why is Tom Brady so good? It's because he is able to and willing to change his offense to attack any defense's weakness on the fly because the rules allow it and demand it.

This is right on the money, and it is about time to take the reigns off of our offense. Brady/ Belichick succeed on offense because they identify opposing defensive weaknesses and attack them mercilessly again, and again, and again, and again, and again until the defense adjusts and opens up another weakness to attack. Carroll/ Bevell identify a weakness and then wait to let Russ take advantage of it until they really need to. I hate that. I would much rather see us attack and go for the jugular right out of the blocks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3me0vi9y said:
I have to be honest. I grew up in Anaheim so the Rams were my team. I'm friggin old so the NFL was different when I was young. It was easy to keep a team together and the Rams had a great O-Line for so many years it was ridiculous.

If I look at other aspects, in spite of having a great o-line and even a great defense the Rams didn't get over that hump in L,A. and even after they moved to Anaheim.

Years later, they were actually able to win an SB by a single yard.

That o-line was pretty decent, but in the end, it wasn't the difference in an entire season. So, in reality what the hell am I talking about?........It really ISN'T about the O-Line,
It really ISN'T just about the Defense either...Check Kurt Warner's accuracy stats ("Greatest Show On Turf"), and how prolific his Receivers were, and how just having a better than AVERAGE Pass Protective O-Line can get you into the winners circle.
It DOES matter if your Quarterback isn't getting his ass trounced like Russell Wilson was for the first 9 games last Season... A decent O-LINE does matter.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Largent80":2yq76b7l said:
What would you like to see going forward?

For me, as always for so many years, an offensive line that I can believe in.

This is the big thing for me. I am, frankly, very concerned about this O-line. It seems like we have a bunch of guards and a tight end that we are trying to make into a cohesive group. Don't get me wrong, I am all for challenging the prevailing conventions, but the coaches are still moving guys around and camp is over.

Some other things I'd like to see are:

--Good interior pass rush
--Tight ends catching passes

xgeoff

Reaction score
Largent80":1mfxh2wt said:
I have to be honest. I grew up in Anaheim so the Rams were my team. I'm friggin old so the NFL was different when I was young. It was easy to keep a team together and the Rams had a great O-Line for so many years it was ridiculous.

If I look at other aspects, in spite of having a great o-line and even a great defense the Rams didn't get over that hump in L,A. and even after they moved to Anaheim.

Years later, they were actually able to win an SB by a single yard.

That o-line was pretty decent, but in the end, it wasn't the difference in an entire season. So, in reality what the hell am I talking about?........It really ISN'T about the O-Line,

I think last year showed how far you can go with a bad offensive line and the answer was, pretty far. We were close to handing Carolina their ass in the playoffs despite the miserable start. It would just be nice to not have to overcome the poor line play in order to win.

xgeoff

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3gtsdapc said:
nrayorr":3gtsdapc said:
A lot more dominant O line than what we have had the last few years. To tell you the truth I think our line will be improved from last season. I pray that the line will hold strong in pass protection so that we can start strong and finish strong. Give RW time in the pocket he will find his receivers.
Correct. Give Wilson 3-4 seconds in an actual pocket and who gives a damn if the defense is ridiculously good. This league is all about the quarterback and by extension his OL. With actual time a good quarterback will eviscerate any defense possible under the current rules. Deal with it already. Or hasn't anybody actually watched New England for the past 15 years? Why is Tom Brady so good? It's because he is able to and willing to change his offense to attack any defense's weakness on the fly because the rules allow it and demand it.

It's sickening but the rules are rules and it's arrogant not to take advantage of them. His whole game is about stop me if you can and nobody can except in rare occasions. And you better be either the Seahawks on defense or have a quarterback that plays on his level. We had the former and it usually works. Now we have the latter and that always works especially if your defense is above average via the current rules.

Yeah, in the Super Bowl the Seahawks kept Brady in check until Cliff Avril was injured. All of a sudden he had time to throw, was stepping up in the pocket and the Pats started moving. The OL was critical to his success.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
A sense of appreciation from the fans for the quality of football they are fortunate enough to watch.

Jville

Reaction score
The next chapter in innovation and evolution.

Latest posts