So, does Browner get a ring?

kidhawk

Reaction score
warden":r1i21pvj said:
Barthawk":r1i21pvj said:
Warden, why would Browner tweet out this today? I figured you would be best to enlighten us with your years of experience following the NFL. :th2thumbs:

Brandon Browner ‏@bbrowner27 4h
Oh and my ring size is a 12, more then blessed to have played for such a great organization

Browner under suspension is not allowed to have any direct contact with the Seahawks or receive any monetary value what so ever with the Seahawks. He is not allowed to even buy a ticket to attend a game. The league would fine the Seahawks heavily, maybe take draft picks away if they violate the conditions the NFL has regarding suspensions. Why would he tweet that, we'll there is no restriction on what he can tweet, maybe he is hopeful that he will receive a ring too. Players who have been cut that where part of this years team are getting rings, so it makes sense for Browner to think he is going to get one too. I fully believe that he will get a ring but it will never be given to him until after his suspension is lifted. That tweet is a round about way to get the Seahawks the necessary information to make the ring. There is no violation to make an extra ring at size 12.

It's not completely unheard of for the league to grant exceptions. Just recently, they allowed Saints Coach Sean Payton to attend a Saints game while under suspension when Brees was going to break a record. It wouldn't be all that much for the organization to request to mail Browner a ring.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
warden":2rbvc2am said:
Barthawk":2rbvc2am said:
Warden, why would Browner tweet out this today? I figured you would be best to enlighten us with your years of experience following the NFL. :th2thumbs:

Oh and my ring size is a 12, more then blessed to have played for such a great organization

Browner under suspension is not allowed to have any direct contact with the Seahawks or receive any monetary value what so ever with the Seahawks. He is not allowed to even buy a ticket to attend a game. The league would fine the Seahawks heavily, maybe take draft picks away if they violate the conditions the NFL has regarding suspensions. Why would he tweet that, we'll there is no restriction on what he can tweet, maybe he is hopeful that he will receive a ring too. Players who have been cut that where part of this years team are getting rings, so it makes sense for Browner to think he is going to get one too. I fully believe that he will get a ring but it will never be given to him until after his suspension is lifted. That tweet is a round about way to get the Seahawks the necessary information to make the ring. There is no violation to make an extra ring at size 12.

Browner just got a paycheck for the playoffs and Super Bowl...hmm???

warden

Reaction score
kidhawk":2r1zvnia said:
warden":2r1zvnia said:
Barthawk":2r1zvnia said:

It's not completely unheard of for the league to grant exceptions. Just recently, they allowed Saints Coach Sean Payton to attend a Saints game while under suspension when Brees was going to break a record. It wouldn't be all that much for the organization to request to mail Browner a ring.

Yes they can do things a little different if the league gives them the authorization to do so but so far that any action has not been made public. Allowing Payton attend a game is a lot different then allowing a suspended player receive a item which is worth thousands of dollars.

Will I

Reaction score
BB is an UFA for 2014.

He also tweeted that he woke up to paychecks from the playoff games and SB. Specifically thanked his agent and the Seahawks. So either they are breaking rules, or things are not as warden is describing.

warden

Reaction score
Will I":2lp74e6h said:
BB is an UFA for 2014.

He also tweeted that he woke up to paychecks from the playoff games and SB. Specifically thanked his agent and the Seahawks. So either they are breaking rules, or things are not as warden is describing.

Tweets can be unreliable

Article IV section B sub-rule 1 of the leagues substance abuse policy says

During any suspension, the player will not receive any pay, including pay for any post-season game that he misses because of his suspension, except as provided by Article XLII, Section 4 of the CBA.

Another part of Article IV section B sub-rule 1

A player banished pursuant to Stage Three of the Intervention Program may not participate with his club in any way except to see his Treating Clinician for treatment purposes on club property, but he must vacate the premises immediately following termination of the treatment session with the Treating Clinician. A free agent will serve his suspension as if he had a contract with a club.

Article XLII Section 4.

Expedited Arbitration: An expedited arbitration before the Impartial Arbi- trator, whose decision shall be final and binding upon all parties, shall be the exclusive method for resolving the disputes set forth in this Section. If a dispute arises between the player and either the Prior Club or the New Club, as the case may be, relating to their respective obligations to formalize their binding agreements created under Subsections 3(b) or (c) above, or as to whether the binding agreement is between the Restricted Free Agent and the New Club or the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club, such dispute shall immediately be submitted to the Impartial Arbitrator, who shall resolve such dis-
pute within ten (10) days but in no event later than two (2) days before the Draft. The Impartial Arbitrator shall not have the power to terminate any such binding agreement; he shall have the power only to direct the parties to formalize such binding agreement into a Player Contract in accordance with the Principal Terms of the applicable Offer Sheet, as interpreted by the Impartial Arbitrator.

I have seen no public record stating that an arbitrator has changed any part of ruling of the suspension. I have heard it is under appeal. The only way the Seahawks are allowed to give Browner any money is if the arbitrator approves it..

Exittium

Reaction score
Tweet can be okay at times however I think we can assume by his tweet between him and ADB he's getting a ring:

"Doug Baldwin Jr ‏@DougBaldwinJr 2h
@bbrowner27 B-Bizzlez. Wuss hanninn
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Brandon Browner ‏@bbrowner27 2h
@DougBaldwinJr coolin bruh out here in Kansas City for my cousin wedding. What's up wit u?
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Doug Baldwin Jr ‏@DougBaldwinJr 1h
@bbrowner27 handling some business. Heard you was getting that panky ring tho. Lol"

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I am figuring that there will be many ex seahawks through out the league in the next couple years,,,, someone will give him at least a tryout. I mean ,, Gus is out there now. I would not be surprised if BB is a Jaguar when his suspension is over.

drdiags

Reaction score
I noticed the tweet from BB about getting playoff and Supberbowl checks, thanking his agent as well, though I no longer see them. Maybe someone like the Warden complained about the tweet and he wised up and removed them. I guess it will not take long for this to hit the fan if some smart writer puts 1 + 1 together. Hope there are no repercussions and that he did get a cut somehow.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
warden":276ovimq said:
Barthawk":276ovimq said:

Banned from team activities is only true for PED suspension, of which Browner is not suspended for. He's not there because the team moved on. Therefore, they are paying him, perfectly legally, as they should for helping shape the LOB and helping them win games earlier in the season.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
And playoff checks come from the NFL... not from the club.

He's getting his ring... and it'll be before his suspension has been served.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like he gets a ring and checks from the playoffs

Cornerback Brandon Browner didn’t play in the postseason. He didn’t even appear on the roster, thanks to an indefinite suspension imposed by the NFL under the substance-abuse policy. He can apply for reinstatement one year after the suspension began.

But thanks to the specific language of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the suspension didn’t keep Browner from getting a portion of the postseason pay he otherwise would have earned.

Per a league source, Browner recently received a check for $131,000. Of that amount, $44,000 relates to the NFC title game, and $97,000 arises from his role on the Super Bowl-winning team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/browner-gets-postseason-check-super-bowl-ring/

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The NFL just needs to get off their REEFER MADNESS band wagon and just fix this issue.

I have ZERO problem with a player treating themselves with a natural growing plant that has never killed or harmed anyone vs. consuming all sorts of synthetic drugs/alcohol that cause all sorts of medical complications including death to thousands every year.

And YES, BB does deserve a SB48 ring along with his job back at the HAWKS if they would take him.

GO HAWKS!!!

Rocket

Reaction score
It would appear that there are a full one hundred thirty one thousand reasons to discount said years of experience in determining whether BB got paid.
It would be safe even without the specific compensation article as the CBA changes from year to year which specifically discounts said experience.

In any event I for one am glad as all get out that BB got paid, he needs to use the dough to rent a home adjacent to the Commish and play loud music all day.

FREE B.B.

lsheldon

Reaction score
warden":2rvxn68c said:
Will I":2rvxn68c said:
BB is an UFA for 2014.

Tweets can be unreliable

Article IV section B sub-rule 1 of the leagues substance abuse policy says

During any suspension, the player will not receive any pay, including pay for any post-season game that he misses because of his suspension, except as provided by Article XLII, Section 4 of the CBA.

Another part of Article IV section B sub-rule 1

A player banished pursuant to Stage Three of the Intervention Program may not participate with his club in any way except to see his Treating Clinician for treatment purposes on club property, but he must vacate the premises immediately following termination of the treatment session with the Treating Clinician. A free agent will serve his suspension as if he had a contract with a club.

Article XLII Section 4.

Expedited Arbitration: An expedited arbitration before the Impartial Arbi- trator, whose decision shall be final and binding upon all parties, shall be the exclusive method for resolving the disputes set forth in this Section. If a dispute arises between the player and either the Prior Club or the New Club, as the case may be, relating to their respective obligations to formalize their binding agreements created under Subsections 3(b) or (c) above, or as to whether the binding agreement is between the Restricted Free Agent and the New Club or the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club, such dispute shall immediately be submitted to the Impartial Arbitrator, who shall resolve such dis-
pute within ten (10) days but in no event later than two (2) days before the Draft. The Impartial Arbitrator shall not have the power to terminate any such binding agreement; he shall have the power only to direct the parties to formalize such binding agreement into a Player Contract in accordance with the Principal Terms of the applicable Offer Sheet, as interpreted by the Impartial Arbitrator.

I have seen no public record stating that an arbitrator has changed any part of ruling of the suspension. I have heard it is under appeal. The only way the Seahawks are allowed to give Browner any money is if the arbitrator approves it..

Browner was entitled to the money based on the language of Article 37, Section 4(c), which provides that “[a] player who at the time of the game in question is not on the Active List or Inactive List of a Club participating in the game but was on the Active or Inactive List for eight or more games (i.e., regular or postseason) will receive the full amount designated . . . for such game provided he is not under contract to another Club in the same Conference at the time of the game in question.”

Browner wasn’t eligible for compensation arising from the playoff win over the Saints, because Article 37, Section 3 restricts payment for the wild-card and divisional round to “[a] player who is on the Active List, Inactive List, or Injured Reserve List of a Club at the time of the game in question will be paid the full amount designated in Section 2 above for that game.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... bowl-ring/

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Brandon Browner sat out a large majority of the NFL season and wasn’t a part of the Seattle Seahawks 13-3 season that they put together and was of no help in their Super Bowl run. Still, despite being injured and suspended, the Seahawks cornerback is still going to receive a postseason paycheck and is going to be getting a Super Bowl ring for the 2013 season.

Per Mike Florio and PFT.com:

Per a league source, Browner recently received a check for $131,000. Of that amount, $44,000 relates to the NFC title game, and $97,000 arises from his role on the Super Bowl-winning team.
Florio goes on to mention that the CBA prevented Browner from being paid for the Seahawks win over the New Orleans Saints, but didn’t prohibit him from benefits beyond that game.

Luckily for Browner, the Seahawks and plenty of football left after the Divisional Round.

Browner is going to hit free agency this offseason and he’s hardly going to be coveted given the year long ban he faces for his repeated abuse of the substance policy. Still, the Seahawks cornerback is getting the same benefits that his teammates who actually played are getting, as his wallet is fatter and his Super Bowl ring is on its way.

http://fansided.com/2014/02/22/seattle- ... bowl-ring/