So... Mama Lynch laid into Terry Blount

Anthony!

Reaction score
So a couple of things. yes to an extent they play to stop Lynch, and yes some players say it, others say they need to stop RW, not just his passing but his running. You heard the Rams, and Cardinals last year all the talked about was keeping Rw in the pocket, using run blitz's to stop Rw from being able to move, and play tight coverage. The knew that Lynch's style of running cannot beat them, and they are right. He can wear a team down, and he can keep the chains moving but he will not beat you with his style of run. I equate it to any great NBA player they are going to get theirs but if they get theirs and you stay on all the others that great player will not beat you. The same holds true for Lynch. Run Blitzing despite the name is only partial about stopping the run, the other part is about getting to the QB and since as we all know there were times our WR could not get open, it worked for the cardinals. Now add in Harvin and his running, with RW and either of our other 2 backs and the fact they have been adding in check downs for RW I think we can do just fine with or without Lynch. Also you should really go back and look at film there was not 8 in the box as much as you think. IN fact Lynch was 19th on facing 8 in a box in 2013 and it was about the same as last year. The league avg was 23.25%, Lynch was at 21.27% Do not get me wrong I would rather have Lynch than not, but it is not the end of the world. RW would be the end of the world not Lynch.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... n-the-box/

ivotuk

Reaction score
These points by her were really interesting. It doesn't surprise me that Marshawn would want the other running backs to get playing time in the SuperB Owl. He's that kind of guy.

And if they Broncos really were going after Marshawn in the 2nd half, then I hope we destroy them in the Preseason.

"THE BRONCOS WERE TRYING TO HURT MARSHAWN LITTERLY IN THE 2ND HALF AND HIM BEING THE HUMBLE PLAYER HE IS WANTED HIS OTHER RUNNING BACK TO HAVE SOME PLAY TIME TOO"

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3q1f6reh said:
HawkFan72":3q1f6reh said:
Part of the team's success is due to the fact that so much attention is paid to stopping Lynch on the field. He opens up a lot of things because teams have focused so much on stopping him.

Just because he has low numbers does not mean he isn't making an impact. We know what he can do when Defenses stop making him their primary focus...and even sometimes when they do it doesn't matter.

Teams focus on stopping lynch, yes. But the same teams will focus on stopping whoever our back is. Seattle runs the ball. thats what we do. Just becuase beast isn't back there doesn't mean opposing D's will stop focusing on our rush offense.

The question is can Michael/Turbo make the 2 or 3 "special" plays a game beast makes.

LOL, right.

Trying telling yourself with a straight that we win the NFCCG with Turbin or Michael instead of Lynch.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":wp5mp1pf said:
It all comes down to the talent we have at RB. And I am very confident that Michael/Turbin can get it done (and I do love Beast Mo, don't get me wrong about that).
I wish I shared that confidence. Can they run the ball at an NFL level? Sure. But from Marshawn to the next guy is a big drop-off.

Here's the test. Everyone try to imagine Turbin or Michael plowing through a D-lineman, shaking a linebacker out of his cleats, then stiff-arming a DB and driving a pile of players for that extra 2-3 yards. If you can do it, you have a more vivid imagination than I do. That doesn't mean they won't be effective, but the running game looks a lot more conventional and less scary to opponents without Beast.

Blount is wrong. Still, Mama needs to call Beacon.

LaSeeno

Reaction score
Die hard GB fan here from Alaska. Was at the fail mary game and will be at the opener this year.

I think some fans are underestimating Marshawn's worth. Sure, I've seen stats and have read some opinions hat Marshawn had a ho hum day in the SB while RW won the game.

I do not think these opinions take into account it was the Denver D who gave RW the oppurtunity to put up big numbers when Marshawn was the target who they decided to stop first.

Let's not forget the front 7 who harassed Manning so badly he turned into a second year Rick Mirer.

Seattle needs Marshawn to repeat in my humble opinion.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
LaSeeno":3knmyq3k said:
Die hard GB fan here from Alaska. Was at the fail mary game and will be at the opener this year.

I think some fans are underestimating Marshawn's worth. Sure, I've seen stats and have read some opinions hat Marshawn had a ho hum day in the SB while RW won the game.

I do not think these opinions take into account it was the Denver D who gave RW the oppurtunity to put up big numbers when Marshawn was the target who they decided to stop first.

Let's not forget the front 7 who harassed Manning so badly he turned into a second year Rick Mirer.

Anyone who forms their opinion off of his stat line in the Super Bowl is a moron, that much is certain.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
LaSeeno":36v23ayq said:

This is one instance where I think national perception trumps local perspective. It seems some are taking Lynch's talents for granted. Lynch is a uniquely elite talent. There are 3, maybe 4 RBs who I would classify as being uniquely elite. Marshawn Lynch has been terrorizing opposing defenses since he was in high school -- back in those days, AP was prospect 1A, Marshawn was prospect 1B. They've been neck-and-neck their entire lives. I wonder if fans in Minnesota believe their no-name back-ups could replicate AP's production and influence by committee? If they did, then the rest of the country would laugh their asses off. Pretty much what's happening in Seattle right now.

I like Turbin, but as of now, he's just a guy. His ceiling is being a productive system-back; his downside is fairly minimal. He'll get you at least mediocre yards and nothing worse. We know nothing of Michael. He was nowhere near the same prospect that Lynch was when Lynch came out of Cal. Watch their college tapes; Michael has a fantastic reel, but it doesn't even scratch the surface of what Lynch showed on his. Michael may have a pretty high ceiling, but for all we know, his floor may be a fumble-prone and/or TFL machine. He could very well be unusable in Carroll/Cable's system. To assume elite or even Pro Bowl production from him is ridiculous at this point.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ne7r2qo9 said:
LaSeeno":ne7r2qo9 said:

This is one instance where I think national perception trumps local perspective. It seems some are taking Lynch's talents for granted. Lynch is a uniquely elite talent. There are 3, maybe 4 RBs who I would classify as being uniquely elite. Marshawn Lynch has been terrorizing opposing defenses since he was in high school -- back in those days, AP was prospect 1A, Marshawn was prospect 1B. They've been neck-and-neck their entire lives. I wonder if fans in Minnesota believe their no-name back-ups could replicate AP's production and influence by committee? If they did, then the rest of the country would laugh their asses off. Pretty much what's happening in Seattle right now.

I like Turbin, but as of now, he's just a guy. His ceiling is being a productive system-back; his downside is fairly minimal. He'll get you at least mediocre yards and nothing worse. We know nothing of Michael. He was nowhere near the same prospect that Lynch was when Lynch came out of Cal. Watch their college tapes; Michael has a fantastic reel, but it doesn't even scratch the surface of what Lynch showed on his. Michael may have a pretty high ceiling, but for all we know, his floor may be a fumble-prone and/or TFL machine. He could very well be unusable in Carroll/Cable's system. To assume elite or even Pro Bowl production from him is ridiculous at this point.

Listen to this man. He is wise.

45Hawker

Reaction score
DavidSeven":gjm6kiwy said:
This is one instance where I think national perception trumps local perspective. It seems some are taking Lynch's talents for granted. Lynch is a uniquely elite talent.
I totally agree. A good example is the playoff game vs New Orleans. IMO, Lynch was THE reason we won. I doubt Turbin and/or Michael would have put up those numbers or impacted that game the way Lynch did against the #4 defense, on that stage.

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":3mjk380o said:
So a couple of things. yes to an extent they play to stop Lynch, and yes some players say it, others say they need to stop RW, not just his passing but his running. You heard the Rams, and Cardinals last year all the talked about was keeping Rw in the pocket, using run blitz's to stop Rw from being able to move, and play tight coverage. The knew that Lynch's style of running cannot beat them, and they are right. He can wear a team down, and he can keep the chains moving but he will not beat you with his style of run. I equate it to any great NBA player they are going to get theirs but if they get theirs and you stay on all the others that great player will not beat you. The same holds true for Lynch. Run Blitzing despite the name is only partial about stopping the run, the other part is about getting to the QB and since as we all know there were times our WR could not get open, it worked for the cardinals. Now add in Harvin and his running, with RW and either of our other 2 backs and the fact they have been adding in check downs for RW I think we can do just fine with or without Lynch. Also you should really go back and look at film there was not 8 in the box as much as you think. IN fact Lynch was 19th on facing 8 in a box in 2013 and it was about the same as last year. The league avg was 23.25%, Lynch was at 21.27% Do not get me wrong I would rather have Lynch than not, but it is not the end of the world. RW would be the end of the world not Lynch.

Color me totally shocked that you didn't use your own data to get this info.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ksc7msk said:
LaSeeno":1ksc7msk said:

Well when AP was out last year against the Eagles the Vikings scored 48 points and the replacement RB had 3 TDs. Against the Lions he also had over 100 yards with 8ypc....both games were won by the Vikings. Also AP is on a whole other level from Lynch. He may be the BEST RB that has EVER played the game. If you guys want to see stacked fronts and having a defense go all out on stopping a RB watch vikings games. Lynch sees nowhere near the ammount of attention as AP. Unlike the Seahawks Ponder or Cassell was not going to burn anyone either like Wilson can.

I have no doubt that this offense would still be fine assuming Harvin and Wilson are healthy. Harvin alone could account for a few hundred rushing yards and short passes/screens that could take place of runs. Very similar to how the Packers/Saints have ran their offenses without a truly elite RB.

I dont think it would be out of the question for Harvin/Wilson to combine for 700 or so rushing yards.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":5qwnve4t said:
I have no doubt that this offense would still be fine assuming Harvin and Wilson are healthy. Harvin alone could account for a few hundred rushing yards and short passes/screens that could take place of runs. Very similar to how the Packers/Saints have ran their offenses without a truly elite RB.

If you think Pete Carroll wants his offense to look like the Packers or New Orleans Saints or that he wants an offense full of turnover-friendly screens and short passes, then I really don't know what to tell you. Our views on what Pete Carroll wants this offense to be are too fundamentally different to have this discussion. And if you think Carroll wants to rely on his 195LB WR (w/ injury history) and his 5'10 franchise QB to pound opposing defenses in the run game, then I REALLY don't know what to tell you. Even if Harvin/Wilson do accumulate a ton of yards on the ground via scramble and end-arounds, that is not what they're primarily looking for in the run game. You can't just subtract 700 Lynch rush yards and add 700 Wilson/Harvin rush yards and come out to some equilibrium... they're not the same kind of yards; won't have the same kind of impact.

pmedic920

Reaction score
7yna5usu.jpg

ivotuk

Reaction score
pmedic920":1wfet4uy said:

LOL! Nice one! Look at that bird there to the left of Lynch, it's like he's mouthing off to the Rhino "Oh yea! Come and get some of this!"

*Rhinos horn droops*

Smellyman

Reaction score
Tical21":16cb0muv said:
Anthony!":16cb0muv said:

Color me totally shocked that you didn't use your own data to get this info.

own data? Do you keep track of everything yourself?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1c9s606e said:
LaSeeno":1c9s606e said:

Yeah, let's just downplay on Michael to make a point :34853_doh: .
Look, I love Marshawn too, but to assume that Michael MAY be a fumbler, or that he MAY be unusable in Carroll'/Cable's system, is laughable, and is also a "Ridiculous" assumption.
Now I know that PC & JS have time after time, messed up with finding good players, and they were just lucky when they got Marshawn Lynch from the Bills, and that he turned out to be great.
We all just need to cross our fingers, and pray that they might once again get lucky eh?

Latest posts