So, tell me about OUR team!

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The best news for you is that you never had to put up with the incompetence known as Cabevell.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Jville":2l2nzakv said:
FinNasty":2l2nzakv said:
Can anyone give a more technical breakdown of your current defensive scheme?

"original poster" took the time to organize some thoughts on the subject prior to the draft.

The front 7 forum link is here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146354[/urltargetblank]

... and the forum coverage link is here .... >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146346[/urltargetblank]

Excellent breakdowns well worth the read!

Fade

Reaction score
The defense utilizes 4-3 principles, but is played with 3-4 personnel.

It is a simple, and aggressive 1-gap scheme which allows the players to play fast. Linebackers, and box Safeties don't have to read and react like in a 2-gap. D-Lineman shoot their gaps instead of taking lineman head on as you would in a 2-gap scheme.

Every player in the box is responsible for their gap, and every gap is covered.

The Leo DE will always lineup on the open/flex side he is lighter and is ideally built like a 3-4 OLB.
The 5-Tech DE will always lineup on the TE/solid side he is heavier and is ideally built like a a 3-4 DE.
The Sam LB will always lineup on the TE/solid side and is ideally built like a 3-4 OLB.

Coverage behind it is kept simple as well, Cover 3 & Man Free is what they play most of the time with a penchant for pressing their long armed corners.

Base 4-3 Under (Sam, 5-Tech, 1-Tech, & Mike are on the TE side)
Sam----5T---------1T--------3T---------Leo

.................MB----------WB

It will look like a 3-4 to a Lehman, but they are 1-gapping.

Here is a picture for a better visual.
4 3 Under large
Gap Responsibility.

Attachments

• 4-3_Under_large.jpg
    4-3_Under_large.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,070

lukerguy

Reaction score
Regarding the write up- great job. Well thought out and quite accurate.

Barkevious Mingo has 3M guaranteed but notably terrible production since being drafted 6th overall. I think it's conceivable Shaquem could come in and beat him out. He will be given a fair chance, that's for sure.

A little more history on the team: Pete Carrol and John Schneider (GM) started in 2010. The roster was a mess. There was near 100% turnover within the first few years. They brought in a new mantra of "always compete", this was exemplified in year 3 by signing Free Agent Matt Flynn to a multi-million dollar contract, only to be beat out by rookie 5'10 QB who was drafted in the 3rd round (Russell Wilson) making peanuts.

The team philosophy was this: run the ball, play great defense, protect the ball and win the turnover/possession battle. It worked.

In the last few years, the team has traded offensive linemen for non-blocking superstars, or 1st round picks for prima dona WRs who can't block.. After hitting rock bottom (not making playoffs), the team hired new line coaches and coordinators who are willing to commit to the run. One of the reasons we're all optimistic is that they actually drafted and signed free agents like they are going to commit to the philosophy which allowed for success.

cheers!

sdog1981

Reaction score
One slight change is the team is not in a standard 43 very much. Most of the time they are in a nickel look with only KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner as the only two linebackers in the game.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Pete Carrol has always held high the value of toxic differential: turnover ratio vs. explosive plays. If we win both of those categories, we usually win the game. Thus, turnovers get a lot of attention, as well as getting the defense to bite on runs opening up the field deep for strikes late in the game. This is great when it works, but it leaves the first 1/2 of the game feeling like we're seeing a boring chess match where only pawns are moved, and only a tiny bit. Only late in the game does it appear that we actually set up the board. Sometimes it's too late to come back.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to ask since nobody else seems to want too, but if you were a "life long Dolphins fan", then why change? I'm guessing it's because we drafted Shaquem, but players come and go in today's NFL.

I'm not trying to be a dick (although ask anyone and they'll say that I am, and rightfully so), but I'm genuinely curious how someone can simply change their fandom so easily. Cheers!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3u6yv18o said:
I'm going to ask since nobody else seems to want too, but if you were a "life long Dolphins fan", then why change? I'm guessing it's because we drafted Shaquem, but players come and go in today's NFL.

I'm not trying to be a dick (although ask anyone and they'll say that I am, and rightfully so), but I'm genuinely curious how someone can simply change their fandom so easily. Cheers!

Cause the Seahawks are awesome. Duh.

Seafan

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":wz8rab8i said:
Tyler Ott is our current LS.

And likely to stay. Tanner Carew is not athletic as the OP stated. He's small and slow. Not going to make the team.

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2jb3q27i said:

Well, I haven't exactly disowned the Fins, lol. But, the teams are in separate conferences. Unfortunately, I don't know if I ever could completely cut the Fins out of my fandom (Its painful being a Fins fan, lol). That said, I am full blown Seahawks and will watch all of OUR games. If they're both playing at the same time, I'll make sure I can somewhere I can watch both.

Yes, it is b/c of Shaquem and the twins. Shaquem is my favorite player of all time, and I am really excited to see him play. The fact that you have both of the twins has me on board even more. I told myself and my friends that if you guys somehow wound up with the twins... I'd instantly be a Seahawks fan... and it happened, lol.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Dom's signature explains the simplicity with which people become Hawk fans: It's so easy, even a cave man can do it.

I was tempted to replace "cave man" with "fins fans", but, thought better of it.

Until now, I guess.

Nevermind.

Glad you're with us, FinNasty!

BigMeach

Reaction score
Atradees":1b81xrr3 said:
Its my impression that the FO had loaded up on contracts with aging vets that have started to be more injury riddled.
The third contract is always the risky one with great players. I predict we will have parted with Sherman, Avril, Kam, Bennett, Lane, Graham, Richardson, Ryan and Richardson the WR before its all said and done. The cap releif will eventually be substantial. Then the new guys will be expected to contribute from recent additions last year and this year as well.

Russell Wilson is gonna get paid.

Its a bit of a transition but we were without many of those players last year and came close to the playoffs with a brutaly bad offensive line and coordinators that had grown absolutely stale.(See Liquored Up Kicker who lost three games)

Look for us to contend again. Look for the olne to get a reset with a new scheme and coordinator. With this draft its my beleif we have looked to pick up blocking (with also the free agent additions Fluker and TE Dickson). Jaron Brown is gonna have a breakout year.

You realize your prediction for players gone isn't really a prediction? The only players on that list that aren't gone yet is Ryan, Avril and Kam. But Avril and Kam aren't likely to ever play again due to neck injuries. I mean I guess Ryan being gone is a prediction but when you trade up to get his replacement, is it really?

Same goes for the blocking prediction really. I think you're confusing predictions for what you're seeing happen. Not trying to be a jerk but it's kind of odd to play this off like you're predicting these things that have already happened.

AgentDib

Reaction score
FinNasty":21mfvk0i said:
I don’t want to hear any complaints about having to deal with the Rams or not being the favorite to win the division. I’ve been a life long Fin fan and have been dealing with the Patriots for the last decade and a half, lol.
Just for some context, when the Seahawks were in the AFC West we were competitive at times but could never get over the hump to make a deep playoff run. We were above .500 for Knox era in the 80's but there was almost always at least one AFC West team that was just in front of us - the 80's Raiders or Elway's Broncos or even the Chiefs for a year. The 90's were not kind to the Seahawks as we had a dominant defense at times but could never get out of our way on offense and suffered through a couple of bust QBs in a row. Those 26 seasons in the AFC West included only 3 playoff wins and a 44% overall winning percentage. So the older fans around here know what it's been like for the Dolphins since 2000 or so where you have plenty of mediocre to decent seasons and not much to show for it.

However, since the re-alignment in 2002 that sent us to the NFC West the Seahawks have been vastly more successful. We've won the division half of the time while the Cardinals have won it three times, 49ers have won it three times, and Rams have won it twice. And in the years in which we don't win, we have usually been the runner up and competing for a wild card spot. In our 16 NFC West seasons we have 13 playoff victories including 3 super bowl trips, a super bowl win, and we've only missed the playoffs a couple of times.

The result is a fan base that has very high expectations. Last season we barely missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record and the result was most of our coaching staff getting fired, a big turnover in personnel, and discussions around here that would make an outsider think we had finished 2-14.

chris98251

Reaction score
In the AFC we had a Elway, Stabler, Fouts, and arguably the best running game in the league with Okoya and the Chiefs defense, It was the toughest division in football or 2nd compared to the AFC Central at that time.

We were an expansion team holding our own in a division of heavyweights. As stated we just missed many times, partly due to Knox never wanting to pass in the playoffs and we became one dimensional.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
FinNasty":3casz8iv said:
OkieHawk":3casz8iv said:

Well, I haven't exactly disowned the Fins, lol. But, the teams are in separate conferences. Unfortunately, I don't know if I ever could completely cut the Fins out of my fandom (Its painful being a Fins fan, lol). That said, I am full blown Seahawks and will watch all of OUR games. If they're both playing at the same time, I'll make sure I can somewhere I can watch both.

Yes, it is b/c of Shaquem and the twins. Shaquem is my favorite player of all time, and I am really excited to see him play. The fact that you have both of the twins has me on board even more. I told myself and my friends that if you guys somehow wound up with the twins... I'd instantly be a Seahawks fan... and it happened, lol.

I am glad you are here. Only thing is do you leave us when one or both the Griffin brothers leave? Guessing you don't know yet but just know it is in our minds, well maybe just a couple. IMHO, we fans on this site respect the marriage to the Hawks and look down on fans that haul ass when you see a prettier girl next door.

Someone here was once a Vikings fan and then became a Seahawk fan because of a QB and an OC that came here from Minnesota. He still stayed here when the QB left but once the OC was fired he has not been here since.

Also, be wary of defending an individual player at all costs on here. If your guy plays bad, he just does, that is all there is to it. Most here like a good honest, fact based argument. No one is perfect (I sure as hell am not) and stuff can get pretty heated on here. The rules here keep it from getting personal. We have good Mods.

I'd say at least 90% of the posters here love Russell Wilson but when he plays bad he is called out. Sucks though when those other 10% take advantage of a bad game to progress their belief that he is not a good QB. Same with the diehards that defend RW at any cost like they are a political advocate for the player. You can have any opinion here but you get called out if it is absurd.

I came to this site for 10 yrs before I joined and started posting here. Love the tolerance here and also how one is corrected if your comments are off the wall. Kind of like an old school good parent.

Great you are here and stay one of us forever. Just my 2 cents and man do I like the Griffin brothers.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FinNasty":3jdwzpgh said:
OkieHawk":3jdwzpgh said:

Thanks for the reply. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
FinNasty

FinNasty

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":25myfqnl said:
FinNasty":25myfqnl said:
OkieHawk":25myfqnl said:

I am glad you are here. Only thing is do you leave us when one or both the Griffin brothers leave? Guessing you don't know yet but just know it is in our minds, well maybe just a couple. IMHO, we fans on this site respect the marriage to the Hawks and look down on fans that haul ass when you see a prettier girl next door.

Someone here was once a Vikings fan and then became a Seahawk fan because of a QB and an OC that came here from Minnesota. He still stayed here when the QB left but once the OC was fired he has not been here since.

Also, be wary of defending an individual player at all costs on here. If your guy plays bad, he just does, that is all there is to it. Most here like a good honest, fact based argument. No one is perfect (I sure as hell am not) and stuff can get pretty heated on here. The rules here keep it from getting personal. We have good Mods.

I'd say at least 90% of the posters here love Russell Wilson but when he plays bad he is called out. Sucks though when those other 10% take advantage of a bad game to progress their belief that he is not a good QB. Same with the diehards that defend RW at any cost like they are a political advocate for the player. You can have any opinion here but you get called out if it is absurd.

I came to this site for 10 yrs before I joined and started posting here. Love the tolerance here and also how one is corrected if your comments are off the wall. Kind of like an old school good parent.

Great you are here and stay one of us forever. Just my 2 cents and man do I like the Griffin brothers.

Lol well I hope you don’t lose too much sleep over the uncertainty of my fandom lol. Who knows man. I’ve always kinda liked the Seahawks (cool jerseys, fun team to watch, and zero impact on the Dolphins). But, I didn’t watch many of your games. Definitely hopping on board b/c of the Griffin’s, so I should be around a few years at least, lol.

Gotta start somewhere! After watching all the games for the next few years I’ll most likely develop a real attachment. Until then, I just need to get a handle on the current roster and who our players are lol.

original poster

Reaction score
Any questions feel free to PM me bud.

Always happy to help new guys to the team.