So, who will be our starting Center?

A

Anonymous

Largent80":1e5wgvxv said:
Actually being 6'0" should be an advantage with his size / leverage. PLUS he actually played the position in college. I'm rooting for Hunt to show all of them how it's done.

So, are you saying your are rooting for a smaller Hunt?

:mrgreen:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hopefully Britt can stick at the center..... because if he doesn't work out they may try him at QB replacing RW. :sarcasm_off:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Some of the confusion of Hunt's height is because the Hawks at first listed him at 6-0 on .com == probably a typo. The site now lists him at 6-2, and again at his pro-day he measured 6-016 (6-1 & 3/4).

Jac

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1cqjnw1m said:
Some of the confusion of Hunt's height is because the Hawks at first listed him at 6-0 on .com == probably a typo. The site now lists him at 6-2, and again at his pro-day he measured 6-016 (6-1 & 3/4).

That's really interesting. The nfl.com draft profile also listed him as 6'0''. But if I search for draft profiles now, almost every site lists him at 6'2''. In fact, the live draft itself listed him at 6'3''.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DM-VUaFcFE

Largent80

Reaction score
What difference does a couple inches make if the guy is built low?

He needs to get under the nose tackle not over him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":2n9ffthe said:
What difference does a couple inches make if the guy is built low?

He needs to get under the nose tackle not over him.

Arm length. I know, I agree that pad level is important, and that's what they used to teach us, but at this elite level, a guy with great hand skill and long arms can keep you from getting to his body.

jdblack

Reaction score
I also think it will be Hunt. His size is his only negative.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It sure looks like we might be seeing a repeat of last year if they don't start Lewis. The good news is we do have Lewis if Britt or Hunt struggle in the regular season and I expect there will be a much quicker hook . Like 2 games and then back to Lewis if they are a liability.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love Hunt. I think he would be perfect for Russell because he is shorter. Gives him great leverage, and like DangeRuss and Jeff Saturday proved, height doesn't define how well he will play.

I think Hunt has the experience, and strength to excel as the Seahawks center. There's some good stuff on him out there, video, stats etc. Everybody that watched him seems to love him, but they keep saying he's too short...hmmmm

He's 6'2" and 300 pounds. What's the difference of 3 or 4 inches if he has the smarts? Personally, I was rooting for Graham Glasgow, but after reviewing Joey, I think he could be a damn good C if given a chance.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/players/roster/joey-hunt

http://www.seahawks.com/team/players/ro ... nnel-stats

"Even though Hunt did not start the final three games of his senior year due to injury, Big 12 coaches named him first-team all-conference. The previous year, he had garnered second-team All-Big 12 honors after starting all 13 games."

"BOTTOM LINE Technically sound, three-year starter who plays with confidence and consistency. Hunt lacks the size and length that teams look for from draftable centers, but his football IQ, consistency and functional strength give him a shot.
-Lance Zierlein"

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555185

Handsome young guy with lots of hair, reminds me of me, decades ago. :p

http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/02/1 ... hunt-c-tcu

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Loved reading this on HawkBlogger.

Hunt pancakes Reed!

The last was when big Jarran Reed was pushing back little Joey Hunt. After about four backwards steps, Hunt used Reed’s momentum against him by starting to move backwards and then quickly flipping his hips to the side of Reed, who lost his balance and started falling forward. Hunt wound up essentially body slamming a much larger man by being smart and skilled at using leverage. It was stunning to watch. The small Hunt will have to keep proving himself against NFL giants if he is going to make the cut.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/08/trai ... t-1st.html

Gametime

Reaction score
Patrick Lewis was at the Lawyer Milloy camp a few weeks ago and my son and I were there. He was super cool. Jumped in and was teaching stance and doing drills with the young kids.

Anyway... what caught my ears was a kid asking about playing center (couldn't quite hear so somewhat guessing). He said, "it's gonna be a fun battle and ya'll will just have to watch me win it."

There was something so confident about how he said it that struck me. Maybe just me and totally not verifiable but I liked the guy and it was a pleasure to meet him.

Ifedi was there and hung out during lunch as well to sign (as did Lewis) but he had more of a I can't wait to destroy a DT vibe. hahaha. He was large. I'll say that. Shook his hand and wished him luck with camp and though he had on a baseball mitt for a moment. Seemed a quite but very intense guy.

Great camp too if you ever think of having your son attend.

This will definitely be a position battle I'm excited to watch as the season draws near.

Rob12

Reaction score
Rooting for Hunt. Not thrilled at the idea of a rookie center starting but nevertheless I hope he wins the job.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I don't buy this "Britt was injured last year so that's why he sucked" nonsense. If the only thing that kept him from playing better was injury, why isn't he competing for LG again this year? The simple answer is that he's just not good enough to be an NFL lineman, physical attributes notwithstanding.

It's unfortunate, but I think the best thing for him is to be a depth player. Let him focus his efforts at interior OL off the bench and maybe...MAYBE...he can learn a position where he can thrive as an NFL player. I'm so sick of this effort to find a home for him as a starter when he's obviously not ready.

Hunt might be an answer. He seems to have it right between the ears, but I am not yet convinced that he can handle the physical beating OR a few of the matchups (e.g. Aaron Donald). Patrick Lewis, therefore, is the obvious choice. I don't pretend that he's a world-beater, and I know he has lost more battles against Donald than he's won. Still, he manages the position with competence.

All he does is come in after about half a season and solidify the position time and time again. Why not just insert HIM as the starter (again) and let Britt or Hunt win the job from him? It boggles my mind why we keep sacrificing stability for some experiment that never pans out.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I would be more concerned with Lewis or Britt against Aaron Donald than Hunt. Lewis and Britt have slow reaction times, do not mirror well, and generally suffer because of it in pass pro. Lewis, in particular, got destroyed by Donald in their meeting last year. Hunt has superb technique, quick reaction time, and the same low center of gravity as Donald. He would take his lumps as a rookie, but it could not be any worse than Lewis or Britt.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
King Dog":95ak12l9 said:
I just hope they don't give the job to Britt because he's 6'6 325 or whatever.

They're pushing way too hard for him to fit in somewhere. He's just not very good. Hopefully, he ends up as our swing guy.
They're not doing that. They don't do that. If there's an OL type they're pushing it's athletic.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I'm concerned about Britt not having a full command of the center position. I'm also concerned about him playing too high and not mirroring well in pass pro. Shortest distance to the QB is right up the middle. Playing high and shuffling his feet like an OT will lead to a lot of collapsed pockets for Wilson.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/760178493325914112[/tweet]