So, who will be our starting Center?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I actually hope it's Britt, and here's why:

The team is founded on the principle of competition, so if Britt is the opening day Center, it means he beat out Lewis and the other competition for the position.

No one just gets handed a starting spot. If Britt beats Lewis then Britt was better than Lewis, and is therefore an upgrade. I won't be prejudiced for or against a player on the basis of his name or even how he performed at a different position. The competition for the spot determines the person for the spot.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I'm rooting hard for Joey Hunt. Powerful upper body, cerebral center, light on his feet.

I prefer to see Britt in a swing role; I think he may be needed at RT again when Webb almost inevitably gets hurt.

Lewis is a below average center, due to his limited athleticism, but he's a try hard guy and a generally steady presence.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
People keep bringing up Hunts size as a negative.

Jeff Saturday was a very good center for many years in Indy with Peyton Manning. He's only two inches taller than Hunt at 6'2", with nearly identical weight at 295

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks need a guy in the middle who can keep DTs out of RWs face. Whoever can do that will be the starter.

The Hawks version of the ZBS needs a quick center and the two quickest on the roster are Sokoli and Hunt. But for pure pass protection RW needs someone who can save him from the Aaron Donalds.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3n55gyzf said:
You don't remember last season, do you?
Of course I do. However, the OL problems were not all the fault of the OL. Lynch was playing injured and wasn't productive. Wilson was holding the ball *forever* waiting for his receivers to be wide open because he didn't trust them to make a play on a contested ball. The defense was giving away leads largely thanks to Williams and the Kam holdout. Graham was ill-used as a blocker. I remember it all quite clearly. Hell, I even have Game Pass if I want to relive it.

The OL certainly made their own contributions to our problems, but there were plenty of other factors at play. We threw the OL under the bus, but they were put together to block for a running back, and that back couldn't carry the load due to injury.

We're a run-first team. We have a mobile QB to make up for the natural deficiency in pass blocking that is a necessary factor of having a run-blocking OL. You don't grade a run-first OL on pass protection and pronounce it a failure when the QB is near last in the league in time-to-release.

Success in the NFL is predicated on synergy. The idea that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts because of the way they reinforce each other's strengths and mask each other's weaknesses. When that breaks down - and it did all over the place at the start of last season - you end up with a hot mess. Resolve any one of the issues in my first paragraph and we win those games in stead of losing them.

But there is no one in the history of the Seahawks who has done a better job of playing on the strengths of his personnel than Pete Carroll and his coaching staff, and that earns them the benefit of the doubt as far as I am concerned. If they think Britt is the guy, then he's the guy until proven otherwise.

kf3339

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1d68qdr4 said:

The team is founded on the principle of competition, so if Britt is the opening day Center, it means he beat out Lewis and the other competition for the position.

No one just gets handed a starting spot. If Britt beats Lewis then Britt was better than Lewis, and is therefore an upgrade. I won't be prejudiced for or against a player on the basis of his name or even how he performed at a different position. The competition for the spot determines the person for the spot.

The team may be founded on the principal of competition, but I don't think it completely applies to how Cable builds his O-Line. He has shown that favorites can be chosen as starters even though they are not qualified for the role. Just look at last year when several spots on the line were a mess.

No, your comment about competition only works if PC is going to take the OL seriously this year and force Cable to build a correct line. That is still a very big question mark to me.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":hj1hnwd3 said:
KiwiHawk":hj1hnwd3 said:

The team may be founded on the principal of competition, but I don't think it completely applies to how Cable builds his O-Line. He has shown that favorites can be chosen as starters even though they are not qualified for the role. Just look at last year when several spots on the line were a mess.

No, your comment about competition only works if PC is going to take the OL seriously this year and force Cable to build a correct line. That is still a very big question mark to me.

If by "correct line" you mean an OL designed for pass-blocking, prepare to be disappointed. Our identity is still run-first and we will continue to be so as long as Carroll's philosophy reigns in Seattle.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seafan":204q1pub said:
The Hawks need a guy in the middle who can keep DTs out of RWs face. Whoever can do that will be the starter.

The Hawks version of the ZBS needs a quick center and the two quickest on the roster are Sokoli and Hunt. But for pure pass protection RW needs someone who can save him from the Aaron Donalds.

This right here.

We need someone short and quick at Center to match the short and quick Aaron Donald (6'1" 285#), who will likely become the best rush DT in the league.

Joey Hunt has the height that forces NTs and DTs to get lower, benefit: Russell Wilson.

Joey Hunt has the experience to play Center, and as we've seen with "short" players Jeff Saturday (6'2" 295#) and John Randle (6'1" 287#), height isn't always the advantage it is purported to be.

In fact, why can't we hire Jeff Saturday as an assistant coach to help get this Center problem handled? I think that is Cable's biggest weakness, is the Center position. He didn't have to worry about it while Unger was here, and since Max has left, (and actually prior to that when he was hurt), he seems to struggle filling that spot.

I don't like Britt at the position because he lumbers and lunges. Make him a backup, and make the competition between the 2 guys that have played the position.

All of the crap we as fans (and our players) have had to put up with on the offensive line stems from the Center position.

As SOON as they put Patrick Lewis in at Center, the line improved, drastically! Imagine if Joey Hunt is the kind of player we think he is, this line would kick ass, and we'd still only be in it for less than 10 million dollars.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kf3339":1gfcq15z said:
KiwiHawk":1gfcq15z said:

My issue with the o-line tends to be geared at the players available and players that are acquired. Not who starts.

Who are you talking about in the red section other than Nowak over Lewis? Who was starting on the O-Line that was clearly better than their backup during Cable's tenure? Britt for Glow? We have one game of tape on him and that was only one year. You're making it sound like a pattern. It's not like there are some Pro-Bowlers waiting in the wings.

dogorama

Reaction score
HawkGA":3lkkfveu said:
You mention the height thing, I had actually thought being shorter was an advantage because it allowed the lineman to get underneath the defender and have better leverage. So I'm not sure why being shorter is a disadvantage.

Because height typically equates to arm length and the associated leverage that creates.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
For some reason I have always liked Lewis
Here's to having a better oline than last year from the get go :irishdrinkers:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":13wrhvo6 said:
Britt will make the team just because he can play all three. Sokoli seems quite forgotten about. I don't think he's on the 2-deep anywhere. If Hunt proves he can adequately handle NFL NT's, I think he ends up with the job sooner than later. He's got the intangibles that great centers and leaders are made of.
Don't remember whether PC or JC said this, but Sokoli made a jump according to one of their interviews.

To me, Britt has become Cable's pet ala Mcquistan, because if his attitude and willingness to play any position. I hope this doesn't stop Cable from moving him to a backup role, in a timely manner, if that becomes appropriate.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3bn1axns said:
Tical21":3bn1axns said:
Britt will make the team just because he can play all three. Sokoli seems quite forgotten about. I don't think he's on the 2-deep anywhere. If Hunt proves he can adequately handle NFL NT's, I think he ends up with the job sooner than later. He's got the intangibles that great centers and leaders are made of.

Saying Britt can play 3 positions is extremely kind. By my measure, he's been a complete mess at two positions and they're hoping he's not completely useless at a third.

If he wasn't a second round pick, Britt wouldn't even be on the roster right now IMO. They're trying really hard to find some shred of value from a guy they took 64th overall.
That's pretty much my assessment. If he pans out at C, great, but my hopes aren't very high.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Largent80":3kgyrff4 said:
Just because a guy is cheap and supposedly flexible (sucks at both positions tried) does not mean he belongs as a starting center. We saw what happened last year at center.

Holy crap, just pencil in Lewis and let it sort itself out. We can't afford to lose games because of the choice of a center. Right now, Lewis is the best center on the team.
I feel the same way about Hunt that I did about Unger in his rook season. He is a natural center and should start from day one. The coaches wasted Unger's first season by playing him a G, IMO.

kf3339

Reaction score
Basis4day":1gcane22 said:
kf3339":1gcane22 said:
KiwiHawk":1gcane22 said:

My issue with the o-line tends to be geared at the players available and players that are acquired. Not who starts.

Who are you talking about in the red section other than Nowak over Lewis? Who was starting on the O-Line that was clearly better than their backup during Cable's tenure? Britt for Glow? We have one game of tape on him and that was only one year. You're making it sound like a pattern. It's not like there are some Pro-Bowlers waiting in the wings.

Cable had three "favorites" on the opening starting O-Line last year; Britt, Nowak and Gilliam. None of them had a real clue how to play those positions in a real NFL game. It costs us at least 2-3 games early in the season and probably a few more later since they couldn't pass protect to save their lives. That is what I'm talking about.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
kf3339":v8kynz6f said:
Basis4day":v8kynz6f said:
kf3339":v8kynz6f said:
KiwiHawk":v8kynz6f said:

Cable had three "favorites" on the opening starting O-Line last year; Britt, Nowak and Gilliam. None of them had a real clue how to play those positions in a real NFL game. It costs us at least 2-3 games early in the season and probably a few more later since they couldn't pass protect to save their lives. That is what I'm talking about.
How true.
You know you have problems when your center skips the ball to the quarterback or when the qb is making protection calls for his line. So glad we are done with DL-to-OL conversion projects.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Per pro-day results at: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... 6&genpos=C

Hunt is 6-016 which equals 6'---1-3/4" and 299=lbs.
and did 34 bench reps, so he's pretty strong too. Arm length = who knows. Tape shows that Hunt uses leverage & his strength very well plus he seems agile as well.

So he's not necessarily as short or small as some seem to think. Given the chance to compete, IMO he should earn the starting position as an experienced center like he is. His snaps get to the QB so quickly & accurately and I'd imagine shaves a fraction of a second off the transfer time, giving the QB an extra heartbeat to set up the play. That would be a good thing for RW.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1lfwigob said:
Per pro-day results at: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... 6&genpos=C

Hunt is 6-016 which equals 6'---1-3/4" and 299=lbs.
and did 34 bench reps, so he's pretty strong too. Arm length = who knows. Tape shows that Hunt uses leverage & his strength very well plus he seems agile as well.

So he's not necessarily as short or small as some seem to think. Given the chance to compete, IMO he should earn the starting position as an experienced center like he is. His snaps get to the QB so quickly & accurately and I'd imagine shaves a fraction of a second off the transfer time, giving the QB an extra heartbeat to set up the play. That would be a good thing for RW.
As badly and almost desperately as they want to get something, anything out of Britt I believe Hunt wins the job in the long run and maybe even by the season opener.

Largent80

Reaction score
Actually being 6'0" should be an advantage with his size / leverage. PLUS he actually played the position in college. I'm rooting for Hunt to show all of them how it's done.