Solid “B”

naholmes

Reaction score
There’s definitely some good picks but I’m worried they didn’t do enough on defense. B-

kf3339

Reaction score
Considering no ET trade to get extra picks in 2 and 3 a fair grade is a solid B. Not having the ammo to get a real road grader LG kept this from having an A attached to my grade. But other than that it met many needs on both sides of the ball and special teams.

Good Job! :irishdrinkers:

HawkerD

Reaction score
Every year the board goes crazy over hyping the draftees. Time will tell. Bottom line is if the O line does improve significantly the team will suck. The most important pick up this off season was Solari. It really is on his shoulders. I call the draft as a whole a solid C and go from there.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":2qo0i324 said:
Every year the board goes crazy over hyping the draftees. Time will tell. Bottom line is if the O line does improve significantly the team will suck. The most important pick up this off season was Solari. It really is on his shoulders. I call the draft as a whole a solid C and go from there.

Every year the board goes crazy panning decent picks, too. Time indeed tells.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we have a whole secondary red shirted almost we have yet to really see play consistently together, they had those guys less Griffin playing in different spots last season, add the guys this year and Maxwell there should be a lot of push of each other to get a aggressive secondary that is going to hopefully make a statement again with Earl as the general back there.

luigi_sal

Reaction score
chris98251":x13zh61r said:
luigi_sal":x13zh61r said:
I disagree a bit with most of opinions here. Too much doubtful picks. In the picks where Penny, Dizzly, Dickson, Flowers, Martin and McGough have been selected better players still remained available. Hopefully Auden Tate or Allen Lazard could fill out our WR spot and Jeff Holland could also join us as an UDFA. That would improve very much our draft, at least IMHO

Define better player? Better becasue some East Coast mediot has them ranked higher, or better because your expertise says so and knows how these players weill be used in the Seahawks system and where they will play and how Pete will take advanatage of their attributes.

Better because they will displace a current player today or are being groomed to play in the future?

We are waiting for your expertise and examples.

Dizzly is a blocking TE, something we theoretically have already added in Ed Dickson and the profile of Nick Vannett. Having a couple of primarily blocking TEs, would not be preferable to draft a pass-catching TE profile?

Dickson could become a 10 years Pro Bowler. Was our most urgent need in the 5th round? I know that a couple of teams have drafted punters a few picks later than us, but some DL like Tim Settle were available and would have filled another hole as backup of Reed and Jones.

Tre Flowers owns measurables and can tackle, but Seahawks have already said that CB is the position where they would like him to use. And Flowers played very few snaps at CB, when on the board we could have selected McFadden, Cruikshank or Nickerson.

Regarding Jacob Martin, hopefully can translate to the NFL field what some tapes show, but is he better than Jeff Holland or Hercules Mata'afa? If we wanted an edge-rusher, in the final of the 5th round Duke Ejiofor and Okworonkwo were there to be picked (a punter could).

And Equanimeous St. Brown as a WR owns traits of a great addition, would have been a perfect target for Russell Wilson. It went out of the board almost in the 7th...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This draft compared with past few years shocked me..We actually used our 1st round pick and took the RB
that fit our needs.
There was no trading down so bad that we got a bunch of who's?We took what we needed.
The FO seemed to do their research this time and most of the picks look solid and while we had only 9 picks
sometimes that is not so bad as it forces you to focus more on what you are getting maybe?
I cannot complain this year and past is past..GO HAWKS!!!

Atradees

Reaction score
As far as i can tell it was a good draft need and fit wise. These picks seem to be more humble right at the start anyway.
These guys actually have tape! People have heard of them. The awful draft with multiple running backs was a ridiculous over thought draft. This seemed more straight to the point and well thought out. I actually wish they had drafted a kicker. The Vikings traded ahead of us to make sure we didnt take theirs. We didnt have much draft capital so the fact we came out of the draft with some good players elevates the grade for me. I wonder if Solari had some input with the UW TE selection and the Ohio LT? Lot of trades this draft............seems like the guys we wanted didnt always have the greatest value but the fit was good. When you only have so many pics....better to get who you want. I would like to hear about guys we wanted that got away.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
B is a fantastic grade. I dont want them to win the offseason....that is for Cleveland and Oakland. I want them to win during the season.,...which we did address this draft. B is perfect for our score.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I hope that what we have lost in talent can be replaced with attitude, energy and more passion. I'm glad we didn't draft 5 Linemen and 10 running backs. Being a team in transition, we should take the time to train these new kids right.

TreeRon

Reaction score
IMO this draft is a C. A lack of picks almost points to a C and the picks themselves didn't move the grade. BUT I really like the UDFA list. My comprehensive grade for this week-ends recruitment of new players is B.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
When factoring in the Richardson trade last year that cost us a 2nd rounder, which I disliked at the time of the trade and posted on here that we gave up too much draft capital and the Hawks would come to regret it, I’ll guess a C plus. But when just considering what quality and fit of players we seem to have drafted without a 2nd round pick, I’ll guess a B plus. I like how all the players appear to fit the Hawks schemes and appear to have high “football” character. And if our 7th round QB makes the roster as our backup QB, that would be a bonus. I would guess 7 of the 9 guys we drafted make the 53 man roster to start the season.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I would give it a B too. But if Penny ends up being the future Pro Bowler that people make him out to be, then it could be an A.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks definitely upgraded their running game with Penny and Dissly. Without Bennett the team needed another 3Tech interior rusher and Green looks the part. Dickson could really upgrade the STs as Penny will as well. Shaq will likely be a huge boost in the locker room and on STs and sub packages. That can't be underestimated as Pete attempts to rebuild the roster. Paying attention to all the details is how the Hawks get out of the offensive mess they put themselves. Getting the best runner at yards after contact who also is great at making defenders miss and has break away speed, great hands and ST value was HUGE. Making the decision to move away from average TE blockers to ensure every TE on the roster can do it shows their serious intent about upgrading the running game. There are 5 guys from this draft who will have major impact this season. I give that an A. Anything else they get is gravy.

King Dog

Reaction score
mikeak":uh3hyfpx said:
Skeptical about Perry BUT only time will tell

I feel like we drafted positions we need overall and not three RBs knowing two will get released so overall excited and happy about the mix of players

I'd be real skeptical too if I didn't even know his name ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
luigi_sal":wnmeuebj said:
chris98251":wnmeuebj said:
luigi_sal":wnmeuebj said:
I disagree a bit with most of opinions here. Too much doubtful picks. In the picks where Penny, Dizzly, Dickson, Flowers, Martin and McGough have been selected better players still remained available. Hopefully Auden Tate or Allen Lazard could fill out our WR spot and Jeff Holland could also join us as an UDFA. That would improve very much our draft, at least IMHO

Define better player? Better becasue some East Coast mediot has them ranked higher, or better because your expertise says so and knows how these players weill be used in the Seahawks system and where they will play and how Pete will take advanatage of their attributes.

Better because they will displace a current player today or are being groomed to play in the future?

We are waiting for your expertise and examples.

Dizzly is a blocking TE, something we theoretically have already added in Ed Dickson and the profile of Nick Vannett. Having a couple of primarily blocking TEs, would not be preferable to draft a pass-catching TE profile?

You have to understand how Schottenheimer uses TE's, we have guys that can all block now, they all can catch the ball, there is no play tipping. A guy called a TE that is a WR is a waste if he can't block as we have seen between the 20's. Tanner McEvoy fist every check mark of a receiving TE except he is called a WR. Now we can run 2 TE sets and they won't know we called a pass play if we choose, we won't have a WR lined up as a TE that fools nobody knowing we are going to pass.

Dickson could become a 10 years Pro Bowler. Was our most urgent need in the 5th round? I know that a couple of teams have drafted punters a few picks later than us, but some DL like Tim Settle were available and would have filled another hole as backup of Reed and Jones.

If the Kid is special you have to look at him, he still has to beat out Ryan, this is going forward thinking here, Cap space etc, special players and Punters and Kickers falling into that special aspect as well as long snappers if you see one you think is you take a shot, Players like Ray Guy, Morton Anderson, Sebastian Janokowski, Jon Ryan, Johnny Hekker, can make a difference, just as guys like Blair Walsh can ruin a season. If he fails to make the team and take over for Ryan then yes it would be looked at as a failure, but rather have a 5th round guy that can't beat out a savvy veteran then a 1st or second rounder that can't make a team.

Tre Flowers owns measurables and can tackle, but Seahawks have already said that CB is the position where they would like him to use. And Flowers played very few snaps at CB, when on the board we could have selected McFadden, Cruikshank or Nickerson.

Flowers checks all the boxes of a Seahawks CB, Sherman had the same kind of detractors when he came in the league, where he started with the Chip mantra, to big, no experience, bad hips etc, We need a guy to step in when we let Maxwell go, we have a few guys on the roster Dontae Johnson, Mike Tyson, DeAndre Elliott, Neiko Thorpe, Akeem King, they are going to search till they find their guy. Flowers may redshirt, I think he will be a factor on special teams though, they will spend a lot of time teaching the kick step technique with him, once he gets the footwork down he will be fine, as a free Safety he already knows how to read a QB, he just has to get comfortable with the Jam and being able to transition into coverage. John and Pete already stated they had worked him out in CB drills and he is going to be fine there.

Regarding Jacob Martin, hopefully can translate to the NFL field what some tapes show, but is he better than Jeff Holland or Hercules Mata'afa? If we wanted an edge-rusher, in the final of the 5th round Duke Ejiofor and Okworonkwo were there to be picked (a punter could).

It's all about how they want to use him, if you follow the Seahawks you would know what you play and how you play in college may not be how Pete wants to use you, but how he wants to use your skill sets. As far Edge guys, we have more then a few on this roster now. Tweener guys are always hard to get a visual on.

And Equanimeous St. Brown as a WR owns traits of a great addition, would have been a perfect target for Russell Wilson. It went out of the board almost in the 7th...

Marcus Johnson,Jaron Brown, Doug Baldwin, Amara Darboh, David Moore, Cyril Grayson, Jr. ,Tanner McEvoy, Tyler Lockett, plus 3 or 4 UDFA this year, we are not hurting at WR. Darboh, Brown, Baldwin, Lockett, McEvoy, Moore all are hold overs or experienced, the rest like Grayson, Johnson, and then the UDFA are going to have to fight tooth and nail to make the team roster let alone 53 as it is.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Solid A. I loved this draft.

We snagged the best blocking TE in the draft, the best punter in the draft, and potentially the best RB in the draft. And we were ahead of the curve on the latter two (Guice's free fall certainly shut me up about Penny, not to mention the call from another team to acquire him). Blockers and punters are positions that can very quietly control the course of a game (see also: three free agents listed as FBs).

No one's talking about how much we bolstered our special teams with Penny, Dickson, and Griffin. Winning field position takes a ton of pressure off both sides of the ball.

The pundits are handing out bad grades because we didn't pick flashy players who can win the game in the final minutes. Instead we bolstered support positions who can slowly put the game out of reach in the second and third quarters by controlling the field, wearing out defenses--the stuff we did when we were winning championships.

The Seahawks got back to thinking outside the box while still thinking clearly. These guys all fit our system and have great attitudes unlike the Harvins and Grahams we've tried to force into the shape of Seahawks. No reclamation projects, no silly talk about "mean, dirtbag" players. No more getting cute or tricky. Just controlling the football.

Remember when The New Coke came out, and then to everyone's relief they brought back Classic Coke? This is classic Pete Carroll.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am going to say this hoping everyone gets it, Schottenheimer uses a proven system, he is old and new school in a fashion but still puts a emphasis on beating you physically and then with speed. Bevell wanted cute and toys, Graham was suppose to open everything up except he didn't use him as the Saints did he tried or he and Cable tried to make him something he wasn't a physical presence, Harvin was another toy, but instead of using him off the line in slants and seam or fly routes where his quickness would be hard to match he had him standing still on the line catching a pass while defenders closed in so he was not in space to make a move. Trickery and gadgetry, Cable could not see the scheme he was using was antiquated because of new rules, he could not see that big body guys move slower and have less agility then smaller guys as well and the crack back, cut and get to a point location to block was not going to happen now. Yet he tried to use the scheme missing those parts.

We have brought power back, with Solari taking the line which has power guys and let them use that to open holes, manning up and beating up will work especially with a FB and TE that can block, we will no longer be telegraphing every play with personnel moves, we will use motion, change sets, etc with the same group in the line up, Wilson will be able to call an audible and use the same guys and have a play that will work.

This will in theory now let the offense spend more time on the field and possibly score more while wearing down the defense as well. The defense being fresh can now play down hill and if we actually get leads before the fourth quarter be able to make a few plays of aggression rather them protection all the time.

We also drafted for the future, Dickson could replace Ryan, but as you all know Punters seem to get cut a lot during pre season and teams want a proven guy, possible trade could happen if they both show good in pre season. Our special team coverage just got a whole lot faster with Flowers and Griffin, we should have better field position then the last couple of years, also return game will be improved as well with Penny and Lockett available, you can't set up for one guy now, different guys have different approaches to how the return kicks and punts, not knowing which one your going to get makes the other team have to think a lot more.

We also drafted future and just in case with Jones on the O line, no guarantee Brown will be back after his contract, this gives us Fant and Jones and possibly another to work in there if we need to. We also got more guys to play at rolls for Edge and interior D line, we typically groom and condition guys a year before cutting them loose anyway so we are not as thin as we may think at times.

We drafted for now and the future guys and all these guys can contribute or possibly set us up better going forward.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I give the draft a C. Not many impact players taken IMO. I didn't like the Dissly and Griffin picks and I feel Green and Flowers are pretty raw. Our Oline needed the most attention as usual and we draft a LT in the 5th. Well, LT is the one position on the line that we don't need help, so they are going to take a lineman that graded horribly in the athletic testing and try and teach him a different position. Good luck with that. A wasted pick in my opinion. Oh well, the draft wasn't horrible by any means, but I cant agree with anybody thinking it was a homerun,