Something I just can't let go of

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":o7gbg8yf said:
seabowl":o7gbg8yf said:
Malcolm made so many huge plays that he was the obvious and correct choice.

I can't think of a single one. You mean the pick 6? That credit goes to Avril. The fumble recovery? Byron Maxwell. Any others I'm missing?

You seem genuinely offended by the choice. Were you betting on who the MVP would be? Smith had the stats. Period. That's what wins the MVP award, just look at XLIX when Brady won even though it was clearly Malcom Butler (or Darrell Bevell). They could've given it to Rick Mirer for not being on the team anymore, we still won the Super Bowl.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I would've given it to Kam, but Malcom was also an obvious choice at the time. Not that he had the best game, but he came out with the best stats. And that's what ultimately wins these awards. Pick-6, FR, 10 tackles. That looks good in the final box score, which is the only thing these media guys are really referencing.

If the press could've given it to the "Seattle Defense" it would have. But they had to actually name someone, and Malcom had the most attractive stats in the box score.

Nothing nefarious about the pick really. Even Champ Bailey called it several times. Doubt he cares that Kam didn't sign a Disney deal or whatever.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sure, I agree that Chancellor arguably had the largest impact upon that game psychologically; however, he wasn't head and shoulders above Cliff Avril either. To be completely fair, the whole D deserved that award. I also feel it was NOT a stretch to give MVP to Malcolm. For a team that preaches "it's all about the ball" so much, he embodied that philosophy by continually sniffing out plays to make a pick, force a fumble, etc. The ten tackles didn't hurt either. Secondly, he affirmed the efficacy of PC's comPETE architecture by showing just how far a UDFA can progress in it.

You have to admit, his production in that game stands out.

1. He scored points
2. He forced a fumble
3. He made 10 stops

Not bad for an hour's worth of work.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Smith choice, If given to Kam nothing wrong with that either.

For something so close it is weird you can't let it go.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3e39cw4g said:
In the end Kam Chancellor was the MVP that game. It's so obvious to me. Can we go back in time and fix this injustice?

There are so many things I'd rather fix than that.

Like the Cary Williams signing.

Willyeye

Reaction score
It's kind of funny: RW actually had better stats than a lot of SB MVP's that preceeded him, but the game was incredibly dominated by the Hawks D, so the MVP had to go to a defender. The thing is, Kam and Malcolm were tied for most tackles with 6 solo tackles and 4 assists. Kam and Malcolm each had 1 INT. Kam's was at the Denver 39 and led to a TD that made the score 15-0. Malcolm's was 69 YARD td RETURN THAT MADE THE SCORE 22-0...given Malcolm's ADDITIONAL Fumble recovery, he deserved the MVP.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
All that means is that Super Bowl MVPs are very overrated. In fact, so are most individual awards in football.

117Jesus

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2225uh4a said:
I didnt mind it because he was the one who actually ended the game against SF not sherman. Sherman only tipped it but Smith is the one who was there to grab it to go to the superbowl. And then in the superbowl played really well.

Having said that Avril and Bennet were the real MVPs on defense that night
Smith did not make that play against SF. :shock: Without Sherman tipping that, SF probably wins. Malcom Smith just got a tipped ball that went right into his hands, it would've been his fault for dropping that though.

Basis4day

Reaction score
117Jesus":uh3xqhtz said:
WilsonMVP":uh3xqhtz said:
I didnt mind it because he was the one who actually ended the game against SF not sherman. Sherman only tipped it but Smith is the one who was there to grab it to go to the superbowl. And then in the superbowl played really well.

Having said that Avril and Bennet were the real MVPs on defense that night
Smith did not make that play against SF. :shock: Without Sherman tipping that, SF probably wins. Malcom Smith just got a tipped ball that went right into his hands, it would've been his fault for dropping that though.

The tip happened on 1st and 10 from the 18 with 30ish seconds left. Without Smith it would have been incomplete.
Thomas wasn't close enough to catch it.

Both Sherman and Smith were integral to that play happening and the 49ers were moving well that drive.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
1. With the way the defense played, it HAD TO go to someone on our D. So that eliminates everyone on offense.

2. With it going to someone on D, it "makes sense" to give it to someone who racked up some nice stats and legitimately played a big part.

Trying to say, "so and so CAUSED the sack/fumble/INT" is a foolish exercise. When someone gets a sack you could argue that it was the CBs who "caused it" by having their guy locked down. You can say a DT needed to be double-teamed in order for a DE to sack the QB.

FOOTBALL IS THE ULTIMATE TEAM SPORT.

On any given play you can give credit to ALL 11 guys.

But stats need to be recorded and given to SOMEONE.

Malcolm Smith ended up getting the stats in a game dominated by our D.

Absolutely nothing wrong with him being MVP even if we all "know" he was not the best player on the field.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":38ntytvr said:
It was a toss-up on who to give it to. I would have given it to Kam or Avril. One of the weirdest MVP selections in my mind was Chuck Howley for the Cowboys as part of the losing team. That most likely never happens again where a member of the losing team gets the MVP.

I can see it now, asking a player who just lost the Superbowl where he is headed. I don't think he will say he is going to Disneyland.
Super Bowl V was theone Howley was MVP in.
My vote for XLVIII MVP has always been Cliff Avril.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Fumble recovery and Pick 6
not an easy choice because so many contributed
Not one player stood out, thats the beauty of that team. So many stepped up

Malcom doesnt play we still win
Percy doesnt play, we still win
Lynch doesnt play, we still win
Kam doesnt play, we still win
Even if russell doesnt play, we still win

Thats why it was so dominant and why the choice was difficult

peppersjap

Reaction score
The time I really felt weird about the choice was at the Super Bowl this year when they marched out all of the previous MVP winners and almost all of them were legends in the game and then out came Malcolm Smith. He did play a good game but definitely wouldn't have been my choice.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
peppersjap":326isxnj said:
The time I really felt weird about the choice was at the Super Bowl this year when they marched out all of the previous MVP winners and almost all of them were legends in the game and then out came Malcolm Smith. He did play a good game but definitely wouldn't have been my choice.

I think it was his choice of jacket that upset me. He looked like he was doing a wookie impression.

Latest posts