Something I noticed about the protection...

lobohawk

Reaction score
sekiuHAWK":2bnnft4z said:
Seafan":2bnnft4z said:
Russ needs to make quicker decisions. Perhaps later in the season he'll get another second but not right now.

This is my major gripe I have with Bevell. Too often Bevell is calling plays that take too long to develop. Honestly, I believe our pass protection is getting better and has allowed, at times, better protection than all of last year. The problem this year is that it is very inconsistent. I think Wilson is trying to stay in the pocket more this year and I think it is warranted. Really, if the mistakes are cleared up I think our o-line will be shockingly good later on in the season. But this is me just trying to be an optimist....

Agree. As much as Bevell may not want to....he needs to alter the gameplan to match what the OL is "currently" able to do. Much like easing a rookie QB into the full playbook, he needs to do the same for the OL. Will admit, there's a limit to what he can do if the OL is whiffing simple stuff regularly.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35ft3cvn said:
If you guys watched the Husky game last night, the announcers talked about this. By the 4th quarter USC's QB Kessler was so rattled he ran out of the pocket even when the pocket wasn't collapsing.

That's what's happening with Russell, he's so afraid of getting trapped or sacked in the pocket because of how terrible the line is, he's running out even when the protection is OK now. His internal oh shit clock is going off.

His fault? Idk, I'm sure he's seeing the film. But no, when a line gives a QB time on a consistent basis, that's when you see really good QB play from the pocket. When the line stinks and the QB gets sacked six times a game? Well.........you get Russell.
Agree

IndyHawk

Reaction score
erik2690":2rmi48f9 said:
Spin Doctor":2rmi48f9 said:
I've said this before, but I'm starting to believe that Wilson can't see the field well in the pocket. In NO the linemen are taught to pass block in a certain manner to open up lanes for Drew Brees. If you ever watch Brees he has huge gaps in the pocket that he is able to see through, it also helps that he gets has a very quick release. I do believe there are ways to scheme around Wilson's height. I do believe it would be advantageous to get him going on rollouts, and bootlegs more often.

Does it go against the 'can't see' idea at all that he has a 75%+ completion from inside pocket? Is there a clear way to show the can't see idea as any bigger issue than guys a couple inches taller?
This a thought I've had as well that maybe he can't see over the line to step up .Eric-Wonder where you get this figure?He rarely passes from the pocket and you got video here to watch ect.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Russell is and always will be a much better QB with a running game... there are only a few QBs that can sustain good offense without a running game..Brady, Manning, and Rivers are three that come to mind. Even Rodgers and Roethisberger, to me aren't elite without a threat of a running game.

He's not used to being the sole offense, and we're seeing the growing pains of that. He's always, always been better off with a power running game and P/A passes from that. Without that, we're forcing him to be a pocket passer which just isn't his strength. When have you ever seen Russ really climb that pocket? Rarely in 3 years. That doesn't mean he can't be effective without that tool- we just need to get the running game going.

rideaducati

Reaction score
erik2690":o0mh2cje said:
Spin Doctor":o0mh2cje said:
I've said this before, but I'm starting to believe that Wilson can't see the field well in the pocket. In NO the linemen are taught to pass block in a certain manner to open up lanes for Drew Brees. If you ever watch Brees he has huge gaps in the pocket that he is able to see through, it also helps that he gets has a very quick release. I do believe there are ways to scheme around Wilson's height. I do believe it would be advantageous to get him going on rollouts, and bootlegs more often.

Does it go against the 'can't see' idea at all that he has a 75%+ completion from inside pocket? Is there a clear way to show the can't see idea as any bigger issue than guys a couple inches taller?

Wilson doesn't step up into the pocket, he drops back and throws the ball for his high completion percentage from "within the pocket", so the numbers are deceiving. I believe his height does influence his habit of not stepping up in the pocket.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":tm5ofnnk said:
Let's not kid ourselves, speaking for the last game, the pass protection and run blocking wasn't very good.

However there are times I think Russell could have hit a target had he released the ball sooner, maybe something he still needs to work on.

It would definitely help to get some consistent week in and week out play from the Offensive line though.

I will agree with that.

Still LOL at the response to my point that he stayed put for the ADB TD pass. The OP accuses says he scrambles when the pocket is still good, but when I cite an example of him staying put with a good pocket, my answer doesn't apply because the pocket was good? :lol: :p

OP
OP
A

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":38ftj7di said:
NFSeahawks628":38ftj7di said:
Let's not kid ourselves, speaking for the last game, the pass protection and run blocking wasn't very good.

However there are times I think Russell could have hit a target had he released the ball sooner, maybe something he still needs to work on.

It would definitely help to get some consistent week in and week out play from the Offensive line though.

I will agree with that.

Still LOL at the response to my point that he stayed put for the ADB TD pass. The OP accuses says he scrambles when the pocket is still good, but when I cite an example of him staying put with a good pocket, my answer doesn't apply because the pocket was good? :lol: :p

At times, he does. And theres video proof of it. Your point about adb's touchdown is nonsensical to me. First you say that you would rather him get out of the pocket to have a better view as opposes to stay in the pocket where his view is obstructed because of his short stature, and then you point out him staying in the pocket and nailing adb with a beautiful pass. So again, not sure what your point was in pointing that out, as the fact remains, there is video proof of him bailing when he didn't need to. Has he stayed in the pocket and thrown the ball in the face of pressure? Yes. And good things usually happen. Adb touchdown, graham touchdown against rams, etc.