Speculation: Holmgren to 49ers..

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I really think that the a San Francisco hiring of Holmgren would make way too much sense. And that it is why it will never happen.

The 49ers need a PR boost after how they have handled the past 12+ months organizationally. Holmgren would be perceived by the casual fan base as a massive upgrade, and a perfect "bridge" back the the Walsh winning days. It would go a long way - at least in the short run - to regain some fan trust.

I do believe that the game has passed Holmgren by, but I also believe that after the Cleveland mess, he would be anxious to rinse the Browns stink away. I also think that the SF roster will lend itself well to Holmgren coming in and overhauling the offense.

It will never happen - why?

1) Holmgren will want too much money. Harbaugh has been the only "high profile" expensive coach that the York's have employed. From Erickson, Nolan, Singletary, to Tomsula - all have been affordable, with each of the last three having essentially zero previous head coaching. I cannot imagine Jed paying Holmgren what his Resume suggests. They have been willing only once to open up their pocketbooks for coaches.....and it appears they felt the got burned (Harbaugh assistants were also very well paid from all indications). This assumes that Holmgren would want to get paid - maybe he is willing to coach just to get back in the game, and do so cheaply. Doubtful though

2) Holmgren will want too much power. I cannot imagine Holmgren willing to allow Baalke full roster authority without significant input, and I really doubt that Baalke is willing to give up any of his authority. After Holmgren's experience with the Ruskell fiasco, I cannot imagine a scenario where he would not want significant input or authority.

Maybe York and Baalke have learned from the mistake that became the 2015 season. My guess is - No! I am betting that they retain Tomsula for one additional year

This would also mean that Baalke would likely not be welcome on the field as his new hobby as "position coach". Baalke seems to get a huge ego boost from this, and would immediately create conflict with a Holmgren led team, in my opinion.

samwize77

Reaction score
We'll have an edge from the git-go...we'll know what the play will be on 3rd and long................drawwwwwww

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
samwize77":6javxso3 said:
We'll have an edge from the git-go...we'll know what the play will be on 3rd and long................drawwwwwww
I hated that play, draw play to Mack Strong. Outside of the bubble screen it's the worst play in football in most cases IMHO.

drdiags

Reaction score
Would be good for "The Big Show" to get back into the game. Maybe he could be like Vermeil or Levy as late in their career coaches? Depends on whether he would still want to play call or would he bring in a up and coming OC? He would need a strong DC since he never was much on that side of the ball.

Money and power would be the points that would prevent this from happening if the 9ers even wanted to consider bringing him in. I think this is just some Holmgren-sympathizers allowing him to throw his hat into the ring for a job he would love to take on.

I doubt this happens.

McGruff

Reaction score
chris98251":3k5x53fd said:
Bevell runs the WCO, not as pure as Holmgren but it's what we run, Holmgren the Coach I think can still coach, he is not detached from the game, the key is can he find a QB and will Baalke let him call the shots on how he wants the team built.

The other aspect is having a bigger personality then the GM something they are willing to take on.

While in Minnesota Bevell was considered by most league insiders to run the most "true to Holmgren" pure WCO in the the league.

McGruff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":dkmg09my said:
I don't think a set in his ways guy like Mike would ever work with the current other two legs of the troika in Balki Bartakomous and York.

Which is too bad, I have thought Mike wants a Niners gig since he left Seattle.

Yeah, if Mike thought the Seahawks were dysfunctional under Whitsett and Ferguson, he's gonna hate working for those lunatics.

rideaducati

Reaction score
samwize77":11exzhq1 said:

In the last two seasons in Seattle, we didn't need to wait for third down to know the play. His playcalling was by the book and EVERYBODY had the book memorized. Awful.

He doesn't believe in defensive football and when his teams won, their defense playing well was more an accident than anything Holmgren planned.

I don't think he'd be a threat anytime soon.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The 49ers can have him,the game has passed him by.They can hire Chip too.I would love to see Marvin spin that

silverandgold

Reaction score
Holmgren used to be the OC of the niners, and was bred in the bay area. I think it makes sense considering that this is the team that gave him his NFL job. I think Holmgren has respect for the 12th man and our team compared to most san franciscans since he coached us back in the Hasselbeck era. I think if there's any team that he has the best time with, it's us. I wonder if he will makes headlines in SF when he says that he likes our team more than others he has worked with. He spent such a good time in Seattle and leading us to our 1st SB appearance and have gained respected from us 12s that we'll be his favorite team for life. He will even make bigger headlines in Wisconsin when he says that the 12th man are better fans than the cheese-heads of green bay. He lived and coached in our city, so he knows what he's talking about.

silverandgold

Reaction score
I also doubt Holmgren will bring the 49ers back to relevance. He didn't do a good job with the browns and after SB 40 loss, he slipped from good to mediocre coaching for the 'Hawks. His coaching skills are gone, he can never be a legendary guy who brought the packers into relevancy again in the late 90s. His magic ran out for coaching, it can happen to any talented individual.

Also

:49ersmall: