Holmgren in the ring of honor

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I was glad he called out the NFL, Taglibooboo, and the zebra’s and their officiating shenanigans in SuperFix XL*.
…and never got fined or reprimanded over it. Most coaches publicly would have played the “we didn’t play good enough to win card blah blah blah”. The NFL wanted to sweep the fix under the rug, ASAP, and knew if they fined Mike, people would continue talking about the subject.

That might be what’s keeping him out of the HOF though.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2mfytkxn said:
I was glad he called out the NFL, Taglibooboo, and the zebra’s and their officiating shenanigans in SuperFix XL*.
…and never got fined or reprimanded over it. Most coaches publicly would have played the “we didn’t play good enough to win card blah blah blah”. The NFL wanted to sweep the fix under the rug, ASAP, and knew if they fined Mike, people would continue talking about the subject.

You think they would keep him out of the hall of fame for that? that would be FUBR

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":3f0m2dwz said:
Sports Hernia":3f0m2dwz said:

You think they would keep him out of the hall of fame for that? that would be FUBR

LTH

That would be the petty No Fun League doing their thing again, look how long it took Owens to get in, he was always highly critical of the league also amongst other things.

Wasn't his Stat line, should have been first Ballot.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":q5x5osj1 said:
and all these years I thought he was ordering lunch LOL

:D

The Walrus had his nose buried so deep into that play sheet that, coupled with his noise canceling headphones, was in his own little world and wasn't to be bothered. Pete, on the other hand, spends his time walking up and down the sidelines, chewing his gum as if his life depended on it, constantly talking to his players and coaches giving them encouragement, listening to their descriptions whether it's a linebacker that has a good idea for a blitz or a WR that has spotted a gap in coverage.

I was at the game Sunday, too, and heard Mike's speech. With the exception of the dig he took at XL at the end, it was a garden variety acceptance speech equivalent to the bathroom breaks that they are worth.

As far as Holmgren's HOF resume goes, I think it's a little too skinny. I agree that Cowler wearing a gold jacket is outrageous, however, two wrongs don't make a right.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Holmgrens teams never had good defenses. Decent, but never good.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
fenderbender123":u4nrbgfu said:

The only thing Holmgren had that was better than Carrolls SB teams was a LG and LT.

RiverDog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3l59hlax said:
fenderbender123":3l59hlax said:

The only thing Holmgren had that was better than Carrolls SB teams was a LG and LT.

I disagree. The entire offensive line from tackle to tackle, including Center Robbie Tobeck, Guard Chris Gray, and Tackle Sean Locklear, were all better than nearly all of the offensive linemen in Pete's regime. Also, I'll take Mack Strong over any 3rd down back/fullback. The guy was the best blocking RB in franchise history.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
fenderbender123":33rxkqjt said:

Thats not true they had a great D in 2005

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
LTH":3lodhboe said:
fenderbender123":3lodhboe said:

LTH

7th fewest points per game surrendered in 2005.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Jville":gfbuynby said:
LTH":gfbuynby said:
fenderbender123":gfbuynby said:

LTH

7th fewest points per game surrendered in 2005.

We have to footnote that by saying that the offense turned the ball over just 15 times that season, tied for the lowest giveaways in the league, and we had the fewest penalties. Bottom line is that team was very disciplined and didn't often shoot themselves in the foot by putting their defense in bad positions.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I am still grateful to this day that Holmgren came to Seattle. This franchise was a joke before he got here. Took him a few years to really get it going and just fell short of the trophy because of the suck, but that was the start of the great period we've been in for a really long time now.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
RiverDog":oh9n0c38 said:
pittpnthrs":oh9n0c38 said:
fenderbender123":oh9n0c38 said:

I disagree. The entire offensive line from tackle to tackle, including Center Robbie Tobeck, Guard Chris Gray, and Tackle Sean Locklear, were all better than nearly all of the offensive linemen in Pete's regime. Also, I'll take Mack Strong over any 3rd down back/fullback. The guy was the best blocking RB in franchise history.

Ok point taken I suppose. Mack was great, but teams rarely ever use fullbacks anymore.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":qhgi7boe said:
RiverDog":qhgi7boe said:
pittpnthrs":qhgi7boe said:
fenderbender123":qhgi7boe said:

Ok point taken I suppose. Mack was great, but teams rarely ever use fullbacks anymore.

Yes Mac was one of my favorite players...

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":3t0d84vu said:
pittpnthrs":3t0d84vu said:
RiverDog":3t0d84vu said:
pittpnthrs":3t0d84vu said:

Yes Mac was one of my favorite players...

LTH

Mine too. He was a beast.

RiverDog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1cgonbke said:
RiverDog":1cgonbke said:
pittpnthrs":1cgonbke said:
fenderbender123":1cgonbke said:

That's why I used both 3rd down back as well as fullback to describe Mack's position. He likely wouldn't have started in today's offenses, but given his blocking ability and his ability to run screen passes, he'd make a great situational back, much better than anyone we have on our current roster (Penny, Dallas, Homer).

And yes, he was one my personal favorites, too. I got the sense that he was a really good guy.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I think part of the problem with the NFL is that they Hire a coach and then don't give him enough time to create a winning team and I think if you listen to Holmgren's ring of honor interview when he is talking about trying to find the right QB this is apparent... it took him a while to settle on Hass and then when he found Hass it took a couple of years to teach Matt how to be a good QB not to mention the time it took to build a team around him...

What the Hawks D is going through right now there is plenty of talent on this D its just about getting them to play together with the integration of new players with the old players... because football is the ultimate team sport...

Look at the jets these guys have had lots of talent... lots of first round picks... the problem is they need to find a great coach and stick with him because it takes 4-6 years to work stuff out and I think Mike Holmgren is a perfect example of this...its just that fans want it NOW... and IMO that's unrealistic...and the reason that teams like the jets are always in the toilet...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":1p5lq3zv said:
I think part of the problem with the NFL is that they Hire a coach and then don't give him enough time to create a winning team and I think if you listen to Holmgren's ring of honor interview when he is talking about trying to find the right QB this is apparent... it took him a while to settle on Hass and then when he found Hass it took a couple of years to teach Matt how to be a good QB not to mention the time it took to build a team around him...

What the Hawks D is going through right now there is plenty of talent on this D its just about getting them to play together with the integration of new players with the old players... because football is the ultimate team sport...

Look at the jets these guys have had lots of talent... lots of first round picks... the problem is they need to find a great coach and stick with him because it takes 4-6 years to work stuff out and I think Mike Holmgren is a perfect example of this...its just that fans want it NOW... and IMO that's unrealistic...and the reason that teams like the jets are always in the toilet...

LTH

Yup. It's win now. The problem is that there have been teams that have had immediate success after firing a coach. Look at what Pete did. He took a 5-11 team, turned the roster upside down, and won the division championship in his first year. It's success stories like those which has reinforced the win now mindset.

But there are situations where a firing after just one year is justified. That was the case when we fired Jim Mora after just one season. Mora had lost the team and it showed by the lack of effort in the final month of the season. IMO the Jags need to fire Urban Meyer immediately after or during his first year for much the same reason.