• Spread

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Power Running

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

Anthony!

Reaction score
Fade":3q01vdu0 said:
The variation of the Bevell WCO w/Spread concepts would be Ideal. (What they ran most of the 2nd half of the season.)

1st Down = Short throw / high percentage pass. -or- check to a run if you get a soft box.
2nd Down = Run -or- Play-action off of the run.
3rd Down = Situational

The gameplan's need to be built around the 3 best players on offense --> Graham, Baldwin, & Lockett. With Rawls licking his chops if they start cheating the pass.

This offense gets into trouble when it predictably runs into loaded boxes, and then the O-Line is asked to hold up on obvious passing downs.

The offense needs to have better tempo in the 1st half, with the ball being snapped with 15 secs or so on the play clock. They are at their best at this speed. They are lethargic, awkward, and bad, when they milk the clock under 5 seconds. They can milk the clock in the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead. They shouldn't be doing it on the 1st possesion. That is just setting up your players to fail.

I agree with the sentiment this offense needs to be built around its best player which is your QB. That said you are right when we ran our version of the spread we still ran, a lot. So everyone who thinks we are going pass only is clueless. We are playing to our strengths, quick WRs, Elite QB, quick RB. An oline that can handle 2 seconds but not 3 in pass protection and 2 seconds in run blocking but not 3. Pretty simple concept. And we already have proof it works.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":32tlluyg said:
Anthony!":32tlluyg said:
Tech Worlds":32tlluyg said:
If we had a decent offensive line we would still be ground and pound.

Had we ground and pound ed at the end of the last superbowl we would have been back to back Champs. Both the niners and us were premiere teams that ran the ball and played great defense.

I got no problem continuing that formula if we are committed to providing the players to run it.

I kinda like the physical nature of it and the tough identity it gives our team.

well for one you really do not know if we were ground and pound we would have won that SB, what you do know is we had a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go. Also had we stayed ground and pound the last game we would have not even had a chance. I am glad you like that nature of ground and pound me I want to win and this year we learned we cannot win with ground and pound without major upgrades along the line which will require money which would have to come from the part of the team that is using the most the defense, there by weakening said defense and putting us in a position to score more and needing the spread anyway.
You win.

You are exhausting.

Yeah the truth can be exhausting cant it

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I won't vote for either one exclusively, because they both have their uses. I you had offered a choice of 'hybrid,' I would have chosen that. There is no reason why we can't switch to either one as the situation dictates. RW has proven he can handle both.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":2ib88kru said:
Why can't you have both instead of being predictably one dimensional, we have a diverse group of players and it makes defending twice as hard because you can't have packages on defense for one style of offense.

Slow....clap...clap....clap! Love the added dimension, but if anyone thinks Pete will totally abandon slugging it out with run and PA, you haven't been paying attention to his philosophy since he's been here. Since RW has proven he can handle both, we will switch gears as appropriate.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3mi58psq said:
I dont think we are paying Russ 20+ million to hand the ball off...plus for a power scheme to work you actually have to have a good OLINE unless you have a freak at RB like Lynch or Peterson. Both the Vikings and Seahawks lines are god awful yet the running game is still good because of how good both of those backs are at breaking tackles.

Precisely by PC said OL is a priority this offseason, "We have to nail that" were his words. We will be equipped to run both as appropriate.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Fade":3ckz4m3c said:
The variation of the Bevell WCO w/Spread concepts would be Ideal. (What they ran most of the 2nd half of the season.)

1st Down = Short throw / high percentage pass. -or- check to a run if you get a soft box.
2nd Down = Run -or- Play-action off of the run.
3rd Down = Situational

The gameplan's need to be built around the 3 best players on offense --> Graham, Baldwin, & Lockett. With Rawls licking his chops if they start cheating the pass.

This offense gets into trouble when it predictably runs into loaded boxes, and then the O-Line is asked to hold up on obvious passing downs.

The offense needs to have better tempo in the 1st half, with the ball being snapped with 15 secs or so on the play clock. They are at their best at this speed. They are lethargic, awkward, and bad, when they milk the clock under 5 seconds. They can milk the clock in the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead. They shouldn't be doing it on the 1st possesion. That is just setting up your players to fail.

+1000!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":27ied8aq said:
Anthony!":27ied8aq said:
Tech Worlds":27ied8aq said:

Had we ground and pound ed at the end of the last superbowl we would have been back to back Champs. Both the niners and us were premiere teams that ran the ball and played great defense.

I got no problem continuing that formula if we are committed to providing the players to run it.

I kinda like the physical nature of it and the tough identity it gives our team.

well for one you really do not know if we were ground and pound we would have won that SB, what you do know is we had a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go. Also had we stayed ground and pound the last game we would have not even had a chance. I am glad you like that nature of ground and pound me I want to win and this year we learned we cannot win with ground and pound without major upgrades along the line which will require money which would have to come from the part of the team that is using the most the defense, there by weakening said defense and putting us in a position to score more and needing the spread anyway.
You win.

You are exhausting.

Ahhhahah!

justafan

Reaction score
I dont think there is anything broken with Petes philosophy on O or D,
Almost every loss came down to making 1 or 2 plays on either side of the ball.
Some games I stop wins.Some games 1 first down is all we need.
Even in the Carolina game 3 plays made all the difference.

I hear people saying we need to retool the team or make wholesale changes because we lost a SB or were only a wildcard team.

One thing I love about Pete are his convictions to his style of football and his philosophy on what it takes to win.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Anthony!":tztcmtp6 said:
Tech Worlds":tztcmtp6 said:
Anthony!":tztcmtp6 said:
Tech Worlds":tztcmtp6 said:

You win.

You are exhausting.

Yeah the truth can be exhausting cant it
No. Just you

erik2690

Reaction score
I'm not qualified to give a detailed analysis of what's best at all. Personally I'd like at least a bit more spread particularly with Pete's comments about teaching Russ even more this off-season I feel he could excel at that. But the main thing I wanted to point out that I feel gets lost too often or at least not brought up is the QB "rushing" yardage (" " just because it's not always designed). So we clearly had a run-centric philosophy and were very good at it and the o-line was clearly better at run than pass. However, let's not forget that a non-negligible % of yards came from the QB. I guess my point is I don't think the line was so responsible for our big rush totals that it would be insanity to shift a bit. Also, I just see it mentioned so little in conversations about our great rush totals that even if my conclusions are wrong I want that point thrown in to the mix for discussion.