Spread spread spread

RussB

Reaction score
chris98251":umo8oqty said:
Our defense was ranked top 3 in the league, where do you find this information, no running game, we were still 3rd without Lynch,. We are not changing our identity to pad Fantasy stats, our your man crush on Wilson so you can lavish more praise on a 5000 yd season and a 8 - 8 record.
I think the 8-8 record will come if we keep trying to power run. this team has a stacked receiving core and a dual threat elite QB. Best to play to their strength. Team has changed its not marshawn pounding the rock anymore. Its wilson making shit happen along with rawls and the WR's. Trying to pound the rock nonstop seems like a step back now.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hnbqo1z said:
Seattle can fully use the spread without trying to get a play off every 20 seconds, Scanner. We can keep power game elements while playing spread.

If Dallas ran a spread, it would be stupid. They have the peeps for power ball.

We have less than good blocking tight ends, a line that struggles to pass pro for 3 seconds, but hasn't been great shakes opening running lanes either. Dallas we ain't.

A spread can get a d to put 6 in the box, opens the middle to passing, and keeps our QB from getting hit and sacked at a dangerous pace. It suits our smaller WRs and seems to suit our QB.

As long as Pete is intent on spending way more on D than O (with the exception of Russ), Spread offense is here to stay. And I think it is a huge part of our future. So like it or not, IMO, it is here to stay.
With the personnel we had this year, a spread type game was the most prudent, especially after Rawls got hurt. You're probably right, but I'm not 100% that it is here to stay. I think there may be a chance that Pete wants to get back to ground and pound, if he can find the personnel to do it. That means another TE, that means a bulldozer or two up front. A bit more like Kip said, I think now we know that if want to emphasize a spread-out, quick passing game for a game, or quarter, or drive, we can do it, but I'm not sold that Pete is convinced that this would be the best way to win championships with his defense. He seems really comfortable winning 17-13.

I fully agree that to back to a more pure power game, some personnel changes have to be made. We'll be able to tell as the offseason progresses if there is a transition back to it or not. Maybe having Jimmy Graham on your team forces your hand. I think Lockett can get deep in our power offense, and I think Doug can still move the chains. I just loved the edge we played with, and I think swagger is gone if we go spread. We're not the toughest guy on the block anymore, at least on that side of the football. How important is that to us? My whole premise for this entire thread is that I believe it is a lot more important than a lot of people are conceding.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30o3ojr1 said:
Seattle can fully use the spread without trying to get a play off every 20 seconds, Scanner. We can keep power game elements while playing spread.

We have less than good blocking tight ends, a line that struggles to pass pro for 3 seconds, but hasn't been great shakes opening running lanes either. Dallas we ain't.

A spread can get a d to put 6 in the box, opens the middle to passing, and keeps our QB from getting hit and sacked at a dangerous pace. It suits our smaller WRs and seems to suit our QB.

As long as Pete is intent on spending way more on D than O (with the exception of Russ), Spread offense is here to stay. And I think it is a huge part of our future. So like it or not, IMO, it is here to stay.

I totally agree with this. It also lets Wilson identify the coverage better and who is blitzing from where. It matches our offensive personell so well that I would be seriously questioning Pete if we tried to have a power running game identity again next year

Also just look at the Pats offense..They still can take a ton of clock off with a more spread out offense with little running and it masks their average at best Oline.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm out guys. I just can't handle this Anthony! kid following me around and hijacking all the threads anymore. Not a big deal, kid just gets under my skin, and I don't want to deal with it anymore. I know you're not supposed to let the trolls win, but I just don't have the heart to fight the good fight anymore. It's been a lot of fun. Super Bowl next year.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1zxvjaj2 said:

Scotte beat me to it. Lots of Kelly comparisons in the thread, which is an extreme case. The spread doesn't require snapping the ball in under 15 seconds. All spread requires is stretching the defense horizontally with alignment and personnel. Kelly implements his fast pace for one reason only, to control defensive substitutions, gain favorable matchups, and force the Defensive Coordinator into quick decisions that can turn into mistakes. (okay, that's 3 reasons, sue me).

In the spread, you are blocking 4 with 5. If you keep a RB in, you get some extra help, but you must be athletic up front to block in space. You have to cut down on long developing vertical routes, but can still take shots on go routes. As a matter of fact, because the defense "flattens out" horizontally in these alignments, it's a staple play.

Rawls is a tough runner, but he proved to be very explosive in space as well, to my surprise this year. We have a top 2 read option Quarterback. How good is Russell Wilson in space against 300 lb fatties? The defense can only afford to sit 6 inside. Anyone ever watch 6 man football at a small highschool? Yeah...

People complain that spread is for weak armed Quarterbacks (=not good). What the spread does is force teams to declare their intent by alignment, which gives INTELLIGENT QBs easy presnap reads that allow them to maximize their physical gifts. So if I give you an athletically average QB that understands the concepts, he will look pretty good.

But what if I give you "Crazy Legs" (sorry for the Zorn reference) with a high quality arm. Then how good can he be?

Now, combine that with the knowledge that all the money is on the defensive side of the ball, and due to the score early in the game, the other team has to play one dimensional to try and keep up.

Don't fight this guys. It doesn't need to be Kelly Krazy.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":qgw9aywn said:
Scottemojo":qgw9aywn said:

Scotte beat me to it. Lots of Kelly comparisons in the thread, which is an extreme case. The spread doesn't require snapping the ball in under 15 seconds. All spread requires is stretching the defense horizontally with alignment and personnel. Kelly implements his fast pace for one reason only, to control defensive substitutions, gain favorable matchups, and force the Defensive Coordinator into quick decisions that can turn into mistakes. (okay, that's 3 reasons, sue me).

In the spread, you are blocking 4 with 5. If you keep a RB in, you get some extra help, but you must be athletic up front to block in space. You have to cut down on long developing vertical routes, but can still take shots on go routes. As a matter of fact, because the defense "flattens out" horizontally in these alignments, it's a staple play.

Rawls is a tough runner, but he proved to be very explosive in space as well, to my surprise this year. We have a top 2 read option Quarterback. How good is Russell Wilson in space against 300 lb fatties? The defense can only afford to sit 6 inside. Anyone ever watch 6 man football at a small highschool? Yeah...

People complain that spread is for weak armed Quarterbacks (=not good). What the spread does is force teams to declare their intent by alignment, which gives INTELLIGENT QBs easy presnap reads that allow them to maximize their physical gifts. So if I give you an athletically average QB that understands the concepts, he will look pretty good.

But what if I give you "Crazy Legs" (sorry for the Zorn reference) with a high quality arm. Then how good can he be?

Now, combine that with the knowledge that all the money is on the defensive side of the ball, and due to the score early in the game, the other team has to play one dimensional to try and keep up.

Don't fight this guys. It doesn't need to be Kelly Krazy.

Exactly

kearly

Reaction score
That post-bye stretch with spread principles and Thomas Rawls was the most fun I ever had watching a Seahawks offense. And other than Big Ben going off the way he usually does, the defense played pretty well during that stretch too.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":3kupukq5 said:
That post-bye stretch with spread principles and Thomas Rawls was the most fun I ever had watching a Seahawks offense. And other than Big Ben going off the way he usually does, the defense played pretty well during that stretch too.
They played bad teams. I need to see it against the big boys not bad teams, a mini team missing it's defensive studs,.

The Zona game is the only one that you can argue that was against someone decent. And of course that one is contested as well as to the cards efforts.

I just need to see more to feel good that was what we will see going forward as the norm.

gmor

Reaction score
It's more about getting first downs and keeping the drives alive, which runs the clock down and accomplishes all of the things discussed here. The system should fit the players you have, and at this moment moving to a more open system looks like the thing to do. Russell should be the centerpiece of the offense and is capable to excelling in that roll.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3jy1w0q8 said:
kearly":3jy1w0q8 said:
They played bad teams. I need to see it against the big boys not bad teams, a mini team missing it's defensive studs,.

The Zona game is the only one that you can argue that was against someone decent. And of course that one is contested as well as to the cards efforts.

I just need to see more to feel good that was what we will see going forward as the norm.

That is valid.
But the kinda comeback vs the Panthers was a lot of spread. And they were in nickel and dime, couldn't stop it.
I want to see it when it has been the focus of an offseason, not a grasping at something, anything.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1bp1b7bd said:
kearly":1bp1b7bd said:

Ya im sure the Cards didnt care about having the #1 seed or anything...they would be playing at home right now if they were #1 instead of going to Carolina :D

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":34aqw1tj said:
kearly":34aqw1tj said:

Like Scotte, my biggest source of skepticism for the awesome second half is that teams had game planned for a different Seahawks team and not the spread team they faced. It would be like game planning for Tyrod Taylor all week and then facing Tom Brady instead. So to some extent, I think Seattle's success was exaggerated, and it will be reduced at least a little next season when opponents update their offseason Seahawks gameplan to view them as a spread team.

But in terms of playing an easy schedule, I don't see it the same. Pittsburgh was one of the hottest teams in the NFL and had a good run defense. Baltimore hadn't lost a game by more than 8 points all year until Seattle beat them by 29. The Vikings were missing a few players sure, but three players doesn't really explain 38-7 in their own stadium, and the next week the exact same team played Arizona on the road on a short week and played the Cardinals very close. The Seahawks did lose to the Rams, but weather was clearly a factor. Seattle outgained the Rams handily but found a way to lose. The Cardinals were heavy favorites and Seattle crushed them.

There were a couple of easy games in there, but also a lot of tough ones that turned into blowout wins. It was a very impressive run.

And even if it were true that Seattle only plays well against bad defenses, Seattle's schedule next season looks a bit easier. AFC East + NFC South + Packers + Eagles. The Jets, Panthers, and Bills will have solid defenses, but the rest will be pretty easy to move the ball on. The NFC south is a horrific division defensively, outside of Carolina. And Seattle has shown they can move the ball on Carolina.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1wh0jh8i said:
...........IMO, Tical is on point in saying that what the spread is doing for the Seahawks ... is masking the serious issues this team has with its offensive line. I said it heading in to this season -- my #1 concern for this Seahawks team (and the one thing I feared could really put a monkey wrench in things) was the offensive line. Specifically, the middle of that offensive line minus Max Unger.

And what happened with the Rams this year? The Rams were able to totally dismantle our offense because Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers were able to get penetration in to the backfield and nuke things. This weekend -- same thing happened with Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei. Both the Rams and the Panthers exposed a serious weakness inherent in this team right now. And that is, teams that have athletic DT's and can get quick penetration right up the gut ... can pretty much neutralize the Seahawks offense. Moving forward, that's something that no question about it has got to get fixed.......................
Rams did it to our o-line WITH Unger too man. Remember the game in St.Louis on Monday night during the Super Bowl winning season where Russ was getting hit within like one second? Or remember how Pot Roast kept Beast from getting squat for yards in the Super Bowl? Teams with good DTs have hurt us for quite a few seasons now. Unger was good, but not great. The problem in trading him was not doing so, especially considering his injury history. The problem was not having a plan in place to replace him with something more than a converted d-lineman with ZERO NFL experience (Nowak) followed by a below average C (Lewis).

And I agree 100%, the interior o-line needs a serious upgrade.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":i83nif23 said:
Hawkscanner":i83nif23 said:
...........IMO, Tical is on point in saying that what the spread is doing for the Seahawks ... is masking the serious issues this team has with its offensive line. I said it heading in to this season -- my #1 concern for this Seahawks team (and the one thing I feared could really put a monkey wrench in things) was the offensive line. Specifically, the middle of that offensive line minus Max Unger.

And what happened with the Rams this year? The Rams were able to totally dismantle our offense because Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers were able to get penetration in to the backfield and nuke things. This weekend -- same thing happened with Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei. Both the Rams and the Panthers exposed a serious weakness inherent in this team right now. And that is, teams that have athletic DT's and can get quick penetration right up the gut ... can pretty much neutralize the Seahawks offense. Moving forward, that's something that no question about it has got to get fixed.......................
Rams did it to our o-line WITH Unger too man. Remember the game in St.Louis on Monday night during the Super Bowl winning season where Russ was getting hit within like one second? Or remember how Pot Roast kept Beast from getting squat for yards in the Super Bowl? Teams with good DTs have hurt us for quite a few seasons now. Unger was good, but not great. The problem in trading him was not doing so, especially considering his injury history. The problem was not having a plan in place to replace him with something more than a converted d-lineman with ZERO NFL experience (Nowak) followed by a below average C (Lewis).

And I agree 100%, the interior o-line needs a serious upgrade.

Oh, believe me -- I remember that game with St. Louis and Unger all too well. You're exactly right in saying that the same problems we've had against athletic DT's this year were present when Unger was in there as well. My point in mentioning Unger was simply to question the overall plan when Schneider and company decided to trade him. Now, he decided it was time to move on from Unger ... and given the injury history he had in 2014-2015, I would tend to agree. Fine. Trade him. My only question was -- what was the plan at Center moving forward? Who were they planning on replacing him with? And it turned out that the plan to begin the season (Nowak) wasn't a good one. They ended up exchanging Unger (whom at that point in his career was probably a B- center ... and replaced him with a D or F center). It took several games before they found a guy in Lewis who was at least average to competent. That's all.

The point being that it is so glaringly obvious at this point that upgrading the interior of that Seahawks Offense line is Priority #1 that it's not even funny (spread offense or no spread offense).