Stephen A Smith calls out Seahawks fanbase

brettb3

Reaction score
gulliver":1o2m82m6 said:
To a degree, Seahawks fans brought it on themselves. True--last year nobody did believe in us, but this year we were favorites to return to the SB and a lot of "mediots" were even talking dynasty. Well, here we are, and yet the butthurt has only ratcheted up 10x. I soak up hours of NFL content every day, and the inability to turn off the "chip on the shoulder" complex even when the country finally believes in you has turned the entire NFL pundit 'industry' against us. Yes, I know 500 people say "I don't care" to that, but clearly we do or we wouldn't continually spend half our energy railing against the media and how they don't like us or believe in us.

What I see at the end of the 2014 season are people who believe(d) in us as a team, but who are now so turned off by the endless butthurt that they actually dislike us and want us to lose. It is a bummer, but now everyone's got a bone to pick with us about everything--we're not one of the best defenses ever, RW's post-NFCCG tears are fake, Doug Baldwin's nuts, Lynch is an immature weirdo, we don't have the horses to run with NE, and so on. I don't even think journos believe this--I just think some of 'us' behaved ourselves like such precious asses even in the wake of 43-8 that an entire industry turned against us, which in turn will validate the butthurt. Vicious cycle.
I think that is an overreaction. Most media members don't give a crap how fans behave. The Priscos of the world are few and far between.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":1e1o4ddr said:
Funny thing is, he's calling them out for some fans indignation over not being talked about enough....and for their tendency to play the "no respect" card...

The irony of this thread is it confirms what Stephen A. is talking about.

How many threads do we create on a weekly basis crying about "OMG LOOK WHAT [insert national media member] SAID ABOUT US!!!

Fans often take on the personality of the players, and that's certainly true of the Seahawk fanbase, lots of people throwing around the "no one respects us card." Which is laughable considering the Hawks were pre-season SB favorites from 75% of the national pundits, including Vegas oddsmakers.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wp1vv6l said:
ivotuk":1wp1vv6l said:
Funny thing is, he's calling them out for some fans indignation over not being talked about enough....and for their tendency to play the "no respect" card...

How many threads do we create on a weekly basis crying about "OMG LOOK WHAT [insert national media member] SAID ABOUT US!!!

Fans often take on the personality of the players, and that's certainly true of the Seahawk fanbase, lots of people throwing around the "no one respects us card." Which is laughable considering the Hawks were pre-season SB favorites from 75% of the national pundits, including Vegas oddsmakers.

Every fan base does this. Literally every single one.

StoneCold

Reaction score
He was funny, more than a little right and he hates Dallas more. I will sleep well tonight.

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":a4ms3by4 said:
Sgt. Largent":a4ms3by4 said:
ivotuk":a4ms3by4 said:

Every fan base does this. Literally every single one.

I'm sure you're right, but since the Hawks have been good the past three years, it's our fans that have been the most vocal.........and therefore front and center for Stephan A. to criticize.

He's not alone, I've heard many national radio guys, Jay Mohr for one complaining about how he's sick of hearing from Seattle fans and players on his show and Twitter playing the disrespect card.

But that's human nature, we love to hear good things about our teams, but we hyper focus on the negative.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Rob12":34sjp0so said:
I used to care what people thought. Now I don't.

This. The degree of gossip on sports programs, and those focused on the NFL in particular, far exceeds that of any other day time TV. Even soap operas. Who cares what random people say? Just because they have a platform doesn't mean you have to listen.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":jjodg91o said:
hawknation2015":jjodg91o said:
Michigan (55-45) -- Is this enthusiasm over former Seahawks-rival Jim Harbaugh signing to be the head coach of the Wolverines? Or is it about Doug Baldwin responding to the Harbaugh news by saying "Go Buckeyes"? I would guess it's a little of both. That and bitter Lions fans.
You forgot the Brady connection to Michigan. That's more likely the reason.

Oregon should be blue then...Legarrette Bluuunt came from there....and that Oregon team got beat by Boise State..and Boise is not a state. Now if I can remember where I was going with this. Can the game get here already?????

:twisted: :thirishdrinkers: :twisted:

the ditch

Reaction score
Stephen is just like Skip and Cowherd, they're professional trolls, they do it to get people riled up, they want to make people hate them and tune in.

sutz

Reaction score
So apparently he hasn't been paying attention to the 'defenders of the shield' about Deflategate. :229031_shrug:

Hawks46

Reaction score
It seems to me that Seahawks fans are a bit more visual on the internet and social media than a lot of other fan bases. You have to admit that it would get annoying that every little thing that isn't completely Pro Seahawks you get bombed by 500 + fans on twitter or your email or something.

The other problem is that fans aren't just like "pardon me sir, but I beg to disagree with your assessment of my fine team". Nope, football fans are like "you're an idiot !" "you know nothing about football" and other quite personal insults. I'd hate fans too, to be honest.

Forget about mediots. Forget about the disrespect card. How many times have we seen threads on this site saying "hey, Marshawn/Russell Wilson/Sherman is up for this award. Everyone go and click up those votes ". We obviously care, we care about what people say about the team, and it's important enough to us that we spend our time and exhort our fellow fans to go have some positive internet presence for our team/players.

I used to avoid the drama as much as I could. I starting coming to the previous site because it was the quickest and easiest way to get aggregated information on injuries and talk X's and O's with intelligent football minds. But when 1/3 of the content ends up as "look what they said about us" you get sucked in and look at it. It's a community here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":2vqyjrj2 said:
It seems to me that Seahawks fans are a bit more visual on the internet and social media than a lot of other fan bases. You have to admit that it would get annoying that every little thing that isn't completely Pro Seahawks you get bombed by 500 + fans on twitter or your email or something..

This certainly is a factor.

The Hawks probably have one of the most affluent young internet savvy fanbases in the country. Add in everyone's brave on the internet, and there's your recipe for thousands and thousands of obnoxious pushback calls and Tweets.

ASuperForce

Reaction score
hawknation2015":c1h8mjsi said:
Just to further break down this poll, outside of New England, these are the only states rooting against us by majority:

Michigan (55-45) -- Is this enthusiasm over former Seahawks-rival Jim Harbaugh signing to be the head coach of the Wolverines? Or is it about Doug Baldwin responding to the Harbaugh news by saying "Go Buckeyes"? I would guess it's a little of both. That and bitter Lions fans.

Wisconsin (53-47) -- The Fail Mary, Opening Day Massacre, and The Comeback have to have some Green Bay fans feeling pretty salty.

Minnesota (53-48), North Dakota (53-47), and South Dakota (51-49) -- Don't get this one. Why would the Vikings dislike us? We gave them three draft picks and took trouble off their hands. My theory: some of them are annoyed that Beast Mode is being considered the best running back in football
You think a team with a fan base as large as that of the Packers doesn't have buttloads of fans in neighboring states?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ASuperForce":22s0m533 said:
hawknation2015":22s0m533 said:
Just to further break down this poll, outside of New England, these are the only states rooting against us by majority:

Wisconsin (53-47) -- The Fail Mary, Opening Day Massacre, and The Comeback have to have some Green Bay fans feeling pretty salty.

Minnesota (53-48), North Dakota (53-47), and South Dakota (51-49) -- Don't get this one. Why would the Vikings dislike us? We gave them three draft picks and took trouble off their hands. My theory: some of them are annoyed that Beast Mode is being considered the best running back in football
You think a team with a fan base as large as that of the Packers doesn't have buttloads of fans in neighboring states?

Sure they do, but why is that relevant? There are Seahawks and Patriots fans all over the country as well. What I am referring to is predominance in various areas of the country.

I.e., The Lions are the most popular team in Michigan, the Packers are the most popular team in Wisconsin, and the Vikings are the most popular team in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Of course, run off from bitter Packers fans could be having effect in all of these areas.

FB NFL Fandom

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rob12":1jyxouri said:
I used to care what people thought. Now I don't.
I haven't cared what other fanbases or the assclowns running the NFL thought since the screwing that was XL*!
The national morons in the media insist on being wrong all of the time, who am I to stop them?

Escamillo

Reaction score
gulliver":ndroeg6k said:
To a degree, Seahawks fans brought it on themselves. True--last year nobody did believe in us, but this year we were favorites to return to the SB and a lot of "mediots" were even talking dynasty. Well, here we are, and yet the butthurt has only ratcheted up 10x. I soak up hours of NFL content every day, and the inability to turn off the "chip on the shoulder" complex even when the country finally believes in you has turned the entire NFL pundit 'industry' against us. Yes, I know 500 people say "I don't care" to that, but clearly we do or we wouldn't continually spend half our energy railing against the media and how they don't like us or believe in us.

What I see at the end of the 2014 season are people who believe(d) in us as a team, but who are now so turned off by the endless butthurt that they actually dislike us and want us to lose. It is a bummer, but now everyone's got a bone to pick with us about everything--we're not one of the best defenses ever, RW's post-NFCCG tears are fake, Doug Baldwin's nuts, Lynch is an immature weirdo, we don't have the horses to run with NE, and so on. I don't even think journos believe this--I just think some of 'us' behaved ourselves like such precious asses even in the wake of 43-8 that an entire industry turned against us, which in turn will validate the butthurt. Vicious cycle.

Huh? Who cares. So we should kiss pundits' behinds? Screw them.
And BTW, you're wrong that the "country believed in us". You know who was the fashionable pick to win the NFC title this year? New Orleans. LOLOLOLOLOLOL The second most fashionable pick was Green Bay. Almost nobody in the pundit class picked Seattle to win the NFC. So no, respect was not being given. And to expect fans to kiss pundit's rear-ends to get respect is absurd. If pundits act like jerks and are wrong time and time again, what's wrong with calling them on it? Stephen A Smith, last year, pickd against Seattle in every big game. He was wrong every time. And each time he said, "I was wrong, I've learne my lesson, Seattle is for real", only to pick against them the next time. (I haven't paid attention to him or Skip this year, but it wouldn't surprise me if they continued their pattern of picking against Seattle in nearly every big game.)

Throwdown

Reaction score
Seattle fans are annoying, specially lately. I can't believe how many of my fellow fans I want to fight lately

Latest posts