Stephen Williams will be the top receiver in Seattle?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow. This guy is overreacting a bit to preseason. This is from the front page of NFL.com, mind you.

Stephen Williams is worth a look. He's going to be the top receiver in Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...y-rankings-tom-brady-rises-arian-foster-falls

I know he's looked good in preseason, but Williams will be hard pressed to catch one pass per week, let alone become the top receiver in Seattle. He will have Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse ahead of him on the depth chart on Sundays, and that's before Harvin comes back.

It's not even a lock Williams will make the team, even though that would be an upset at this point.

pehawk

Reaction score
From a fantasy perspective, maybe, but unlikely. Williams makes this team and every time the Hawks hit midfield he's in for a potential "go" route.

Whether he's thrown at or not, he'll help this offense.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
No. Williams will go into the season as our #5 receiver. Barring injury, he isn't going to get a lot of targets...and then when Harvin comes back, he will be lucky to stay on the team.

He may get a deep throw attempt here and there, but defenses are going to know when he comes in to look out for it.

Bipolar

Reaction score
at 6'5'' he looks like a good red zone target. it means a lot for fantasy production. overreaction? of course, but not completely insane.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
pehawk":3oc927zb said:
From a fantasy perspective, maybe, but unlikely. Williams makes this team and every time the Hawks hit midfield he's in for a potential "go" route.

Whether he's thrown at or not, he'll help this offense.

Even from a fantasy perspective, I find it hard to believe he would top the production Tate or Rice will bring. They both had 7 TDs each last year, and that was when Wilson was barely throwing the first half of the year. They should both be able to get close to that, and I just can't see Williams being even close to top receiver in Seattle.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think best case scenario Williams matches Tate and Rice's TD numbers last year.

Think about going trips on the opposition's 45 yards line, and sending Rice, Tate and Williams on go routes...? That's 3 jump-ball, acrobatic WR's running straight at ya. Do that once or twice the first month of the season. That's a problem...for DC's...IMO.

C-Dub

Reaction score
HawkFan72":cnb687ts said:
Wow. This guy is overreacting a bit to preseason. This is from the front page of NFL.com, mind you.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...y-rankings-tom-brady-rises-arian-foster-falls

I know he's looked good in preseason, but Williams will be hard pressed to catch one pass per week, let alone become the top receiver in Seattle. He will have Rice, Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse ahead of him on the depth chart on Sundays, and that's before Harvin comes back.

It's not even a lock Williams will make the team, even though that would be an upset at this point.
I've got a feeling there's going to be a few cuts for the sake of the future, and Kearse/Williams' emergence might make Rice very expendable.

Rice's contract...
2013: $9.7 mil ($3.6 mil dead)
2014: $9.7 mil ($2.4 mil dead)
2015: $10.2 mil ($1.2 mil dead)

Cutting him now opens up a lot of money for ET3, Optimus, Tate, and Wilson. Just saying.

CANHawk

Reaction score
C-Dub":1um0ivh2 said:
HawkFan72":1um0ivh2 said:

I've got a feeling there's going to be a few cuts for the sake of the future, and Kearse/Williams' emergence might make Rice very expendable.

Rice's contract...

Cutting him now opens up a lot of money for ET3, Optimus, Tate, and Wilson. Just saying.

We're going to cut Rice now....?

Tumblr m6rqhtb07y1qe9eo3

Tumblr ls4w5gtBog1qakh43o4 250

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
C-Dub":olt4dm6j said:
HawkFan72":olt4dm6j said:

Rice's contract...

I get that, I just don't see us cutting out #1 WR at this point (which Rice is until Harvin gets back). They are making a run at the SuperBowl and they need Rice on the field.

TCS

Reaction score
IMO none of our top WR's will be cut this year. It might make sense to cut Rice (And his inflated contract) IF Williams makes the squad (Which he will IMO) and has a solid year, but he's not there yet. If Williams makes the squad he will only see the field for minimal snaps. Either way, I think he will lead the team in YPC this season, but not catches or TD's. Just my opinion.

Go Hawks!

tcs

C-Dub

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1nlbt1eg said:
C-Dub":1nlbt1eg said:

Rice's contract...

I get that, I just don't see us cutting out #1 WR at this point (which Rice is until Harvin gets back). They are making a run at the SuperBowl and they need Rice on the field.
But they also don't want to shoot themselves in the foot long-term. Factoring in health and money, I don't see Rice as a superior option over Williams and Kearse. Yes, bold statement considering two have not shown anything during a regular season game. Personally, I'd rather roll over some $$$ since I feel they Hawks can maintain a Super Bowl level without Rice.

And I love Rice too. One of my favorite WR's in the game when healthy.

Win now. Win forever.

CANHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1n56hp86 said:
No, no, no, no, no on cutting Rice.

But OMG what about Chop Chop!?! He got Lasik! LASIK!! That's like... with LASERS! He's going to be Jerry Moss combined with Art Largent! We should cut everyone and sign him to a 20 year extension!

pehawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":2euxoeik said:
FlyingGreg":2euxoeik said:

But OMG what about Chop Chop!?! He got Lasik! LASIK!! That's like... with LASERS! He's going to be Jerry Moss combined with Art Largent! We should cut everyone and sign him to a 20 year extension!

I see him more as a Cris Lofton, but the point remains.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
C-Dub":1g1mrys6 said:
HawkFan72":1g1mrys6 said:

Rice's contract...

:pukeface:

Are you serious?

drdiags

Reaction score
I see Williams' role similar to what Braylon Edwards' role was last season. Braylon had opportunities to put up ~4-5 TDs if he could catch or the ref didn't miss a catch in the endzone (Cardinals, 9ers, Bears and Patriots). Of course, Braylon couldn't so he only had the 1 TD that I remember. Still, that should give you an idea of what Williams might be able to do given similar opportunities given to the role.

Lockette had the one TD in his 2 catches here, so that role is going to get looks for the deep shot. I wouldn't grab Williams as a option unless I was trying a hail mary with little chance of success winning the FFL match.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2ypgbaaa said:
CANHawk":2ypgbaaa said:
FlyingGreg":2ypgbaaa said:

I see him more as a Cris Lofton, but the point remains.

Which Cris? Collinsworth or Carter?

Latest posts