Still Pissed Off

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1c90hp5h said:
This is some great reading. Really appreciate the post. A question if I may, Do you, or anyone else in Dot Netland, think this sets a precedent (good or bad) on future signings? Would there be a way the NFLPA would keep this in the next CBA for future contracts?

No, this case was singularly unique.

Basically, if a player was to attempt this, they need leverage. Generally they don't have this given the current CBA structure of the rookie contract (which I believe will be the single reason why we see the NFLPA and NFL go to the mattresses in 2021).

For this case to be replicated, you'd have to have a sure fire 1st round talent get passed on basically to day 3. Which is exceptionally rare. Otherwise, the financial drawback for a player doesn't add up. The contract for top 60 players still outpaces that of a rookie minimum. And there is no realistic expectation a team would guarantee the entire UDFA salary. That expectation is virtually non existent.

Even despite the fact that a UDFA gets to FA a year quicker, they are still restricted FA due to the fact they don't have the necessary accrued games to qualify as a UFA. So even then, their ability to leverage for a market value contract is low. Teams can (and would) tender them with a 1st/2nd round contract which would be considerably less than the value of even a 5th year option for first round picks.

The current system works well for UDFA players. They have a legitimate opportunity to recoup financial rewards if they earn it. And I don't see the NFL wanting to remove that incentive.