Sure its against the rules, but do you think this happens?

Spohawks

Reaction score
A high level free agent has 8 teams that want him. Team A says "Everyone will pay you 15 million and so will we, but we will throw in some extra OFF THE BOOKS compensation".

A house, apartment building, cash, business or whatever. Homeboy gets promised a little something extra on the side and it doesn't hurt the cap.

OR

I can see Team A saying "We will give you 5 million after you are done playing for us, ask Mike Jones and Steve Jackson if we really will come through".

Homeboy asks Mike and Steve and everything checks out. Homeboy signs the contract.

Who says Team A can't give money out after the player is done?

Do you think anything like this has ever happened? I think Dallas and the Rams have done it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I can't say it never happened, but I doubt it. All it takes is one disgruntled former player or pissed off team employee who knows something to start a legal shitstorm.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
I can't say it never happened, but I doubt it. All it takes is one disgruntled former player or pissed off team employee who knows something to start a legal shitstorm.
I would agree but I think they sign something that prohibits that. I could be wrong.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I would agree but I think they sign something that prohibits that. I could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure non-disclosure agreements do not trump laws or NFL bylaws. Anyone party to a violation of such would most likely be culpable, and the non-disclosure agreement would only make things worse for everyone involved.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure non-disclosure agreements do not trump laws or NFL bylaws. Anyone party to a violation of such would most likely be culpable, and the non-disclosure agreement would only make things worse for everyone involved.
Trump real Laws? Probably not, NFL bylaws...maybe. I read about a former player who said he will tell how the NFL is rigged but the NFL will fine him so he needs compensation for that fine and some cash for himself for him to talk.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
What about tax evasion? And how do you pay someone $5 million 'off the books'? Give it to them in cash? And how would that $5 mil come from? And why would the team take a chance of also breaking tax laws? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Now, it is possible the team gives the player a 'personal services' type of contract for years after retiring.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Trump real Laws? Probably not, NFL bylaws...maybe. I read about a former player who said he will tell how the NFL is rigged but the NFL will fine him so he needs compensation for that fine and some cash for himself for him to talk.
Or said former player was blowing smoke. How is the NFL going to fine someone who isn't receiving an NFL paycheck?

RedAlice

Reaction score
I mean what I said. I think the Rams have played with the numbers outside of the rules.
give me an example of how.

You keep just saying words to be clever. Show me something I can see to explain what you believe.

eta: not saying you are wrong or right. just need something factual to back up your assertions.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
What about tax evasion? And how do you pay someone $5 million 'off the books'? Give it to them in cash? And how would that $5 mil come from? And why would the team take a chance of also breaking tax laws? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Now, it is possible the team gives the player a 'personal services' type of contract for years after retiring.
There are a few options but a simple example would be "Do a commercial for us that a normal player would be paid 100k for, but we will give you 5 Million for it".

The money would come from the team.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
give me an example of how.

You keep just saying words to be clever. Show me something I can see to explain what you believe.

eta: not saying you are wrong or right. just need something factual to back up your assertions.
If I had hard proof, I wouldn't be asking if its real. But its .Net, proof is not needed to make a strong statement here.

RedAlice

Reaction score
There are a few options but a simple example would be "Do a commercial for us that a normal player would be paid 100k for, but we will give you 5 Million for it".

The money would come from the team.

oh JFC. how old are you? this concept is as old as dirt.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Or said former player was blowing smoke. How is the NFL going to fine someone who isn't receiving an NFL paycheck?
Thats how some disclosures work. Break one and there is a fine or court issues.

But oh yeah, I can see a player looking for some attention and saying the NFL is rigged will get him some!

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
oh JFC. how old are you? this concept is as old as dirt.
So you are saying there is a chance :)
My OP is not about that option, I am just throwing that one out there as a starting point for bigger side deals.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Ok. so you make something up and state that the Rams and Cowboys do it?

Go back to your video games, you are an idiot.
Calm down, I can make a claim about anything I want. Why so defensive if its not true...or is it?