Tackling

renofox

Reaction score
This is the way I was taught/coached to tackle from Pop Warner through college;

Why don't they coach this in the NFL anymore? Watching games yesterday, and watching the Seahawks this season, it seems like 30%+ of attempted "tackles" are "shoulder tackles" where the defender just tries to knock the ball carrier down.

I can't count how many missed "tackles" (more accurately, missed knockdowns) I see in every single game from players not actually tackling. The Cowboys gave up so many frigging yards last night because 9f this "technique", and the Seahawks are very often guilty of this same crap.

I just don't understand why this fundamental skill is not pounded into players heads by coaches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That rugby tackling style is implemented and coached from the pros all the way down to pop warner. I watched my 12 year old nephew's game a couple weeks ago, and that's how they coach tackling.

IMO what you're talking about has far more to do with the new no contact rules the NFL and college leagues have implemented over the past 4-5 years. OTA's, spring ball, even most of training camp, the players aren't allowed to hit and practice tackling. 1st pre-season game is the 1st time some of these guys have hit another player in 8-9 months.

And those aren't even the starters. So a LOT of sloppy tackling going on.

GemCity

Reaction score
Was just talking about this the other day…Insont get it either.

Rarely will you see a breakdown and wrap.

Maybe the sheer strength and speed of NFL players overrides that?