TE thoughts

kf3339

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2gb63yq0 said:
bbsplitter":2gb63yq0 said:
Miller's cap hit does drop off, after looking into it, but only to 7 million. Which is substantial from 11 million but also not deserving an immediate dismissal of cut-possibility. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... ch-miller/

I don't think Miller sees the end of his deal either, he's a really solid tight end but with the money he makes you would expect Pro Bowl production and that simply hasn't been the case.

You can't have Pro Bowl production if you are asked to stay in and block most of the time because of O-Line problems. I think the real Miller was what we saw at the end of the season and in the playoffs. If you equate that with a full year of results you have a definite Pro Bowl TE and possibly even an All Pro.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
I agree with the folds interested in Kyle Juszczyk and Ryan Otten. I'm not sold on Jordan Reed or the dude from Rice. While it may be near-sighted, I see the Fells kid as someone who can be deactivated for a few games. If he can separate from defenders, or shows an ability to find soft zones, despite being a potential blocking liability, he fills a need for "free".

Couple those thoughts with Helfelt and McGrath, and I'm just not buying another TE. Maybe next year.

I'm probably being short sighted and over optimistic here.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
You can't have Pro Bowl production if you are asked to stay in and block most of the time because of O-Line problems. I think the real Miller was what we saw at the end of the season and in the playoffs. If you equate that with a full year of results you have a definite Pro Bowl TE and possibly even an All Pro.

Very true, my point is that we will have to see that guy we saw at the end of the season for him to see the end of the deal. If he has another 40 or so catch season I don't see us keeping him at that cost.

Sac

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":14reu3p1 said:

Very true, my point is that we will have to see that guy we saw at the end of the season for him to see the end of the deal. If he has another 40 or so catch season I don't see us keeping him at that cost.

I disagree. The FO is fully aware of what he's been asked to do. If you get a TE on the cheap you'll get what you're paying for. A TE that can block as well as Miller can AND be the threat he is not common. Or cheap.

two dog

Reaction score
As much as I like Travis Kelce, I have become completely convinced that we will
draft an offensive tackle at 56. Then maybe Kyle Juszczyk at 87. A tight end later.

Now, I will probably become completely convinced of a different strategy each day
between now and next Friday. I keep rotating between OT, DT, LB, TE and every
other position.

One thing I am sure of is that some will be unfamiliar names.
A word about that. I try to read every draft site. I'm sure that there are some I
don't know about and this worries me deeply.

The best and most comprehensive information that I get is the guys that scout on
this board, English's blog and Field Gulls. Thanks to all you guys.