Week 1 thoughts

falcongoggles

Reaction score
--Russ - lots of people talking about deja vu and not holding this momentum. I think this is a valid discussion. Right now the opposing defense has no tape on the hawks. I expect the copy-cat league to adjust.

--Receivers - the usual suspects showed up. The over-the-shoulder breadbasket catch by Lockett was spectacular. I think we have a long time until machines at Boston Dynamics can pull off similar coordination and tracking of an object.

--Tight Ends - we have tight ends?!? I feel like coach Waldron would've much better utilized Jimmy Graham after watching just one game. Did anyone else wince every time Dissly got tackled? He took a particularly ugly shot to his knee in the red zone late in the first half.

--Offensive line - I'm not sure their individual skill level increased, but the offensive scheme made them look much better. Screen passes, short passes over the middle, uptempo, bootlegs and sweeps all took pressure off Russ.

--Defensive line - who are these guys? Are the Colts injured or is PC putting together another special group? Do we all still hate Ken Norton Jr.?

--Linebackers - KJ who? These guys were flying around and it looked like BWags was in better form than years previous. He looked fast and smart out there. I could swear that he put his body between himself and DB that was going to put a late hit on Wentz on the second to last drive of the game.

--Refs - they did a horrible job with the play clock early on. The first drive should've ended twice with a blatant play clock expiration that went for a first down. The refs called Adams offside on critical third down. He was not. The clock was at 00 and he was timing his rush to take advantage of that countdown. A late-game pass-interference on an uncatchable ball was highly ticky tacky. Was Adams' leap over the line on the 4th down the Colts fumbled on legal?

--Offensive Coordinator - I'd give him an 9 - did the Seahawks scheme against a team for the first time in the RW era? The first drive he just punched it down the Colts' throat with run play after run play after run play. Over the last few years we would've gone away from the run the second it was having success. They also schemed Russ into only getting hit seriously one time if I'm not mistaken. Any other contact was incidental or initiated by Russ. I think Russ will have less bruising and soreness on Monday than usual.

I take away one point because, after Lockett's deep bomb of a touchdown, the hawks tried to twice take the top off on third and 4. Is it too much to ask to get the first down, get ahead on first down and try and launch a bomb on second and 3?

--The PC RW connection. After Russ' fourth TD, PC ran over and was being happy. Russ just looked straight ahead without a smile. I can't tell if this is dead-eyes RW or some coolness between HC and QB. I never once saw them being jovial with each other.

--Going for the jugular. The Hawks did the majority of their damage in the FIRST half. They also pulled away and put their foot on the gas. The last TD by the Colts felt like SB against Denver. You knew it didn't matter, but you were hoping they didn't score for the statistics. This game wasn't close and the Seahawks established their will. Considering they had no preason for the bulk of the starters, color me impressed with the change in mentality.

Cheers!

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
--Penalties - overall the Hawks were pretty clean. I thought two penalties (see above) were bogus. No offensive linemen doing his best Ifedi imitation after a shortened preseason was a nice surprise.

--Clock management - snapping the ball before the last five seconds of the playclock was amazing. Makes you wonder, was that a PC or a Bevell/Schottenheimer thing?

John63

Reaction score
falcongoggles":105j1bxu said:
--Russ - lots of people talking about deja vu and not holding this momentum. I think this is a valid discussion. Right now the opposing defense has no tape on the hawks. I expect the copy-cat league to adjust.

--Receivers - the usual suspects showed up. The over-the-shoulder breadbasket catch by Lockett was spectacular. I think we have a long time until machines at Boston Dynamics can pull off similar coordination and tracking of an object.

--Tight Ends - we have tight ends?!? I feel like coach Waldron would've much better utilized Jimmy Graham after watching just one game. Did anyone else wince every time Dissly got tackled? He took a particularly ugly shot to his knee in the red zone late in the first half.

--Offensive line - I'm not sure their individual skill level increased, but the offensive scheme made them look much better. Screen passes, short passes over the middle, uptempo, bootlegs and sweeps all took pressure off Russ.

--Defensive line - who are these guys? Are the Colts injured or is PC putting together another special group? Do we all still hate Ken Norton Jr.?

--Linebackers - KJ who? These guys were flying around and it looked like BWags was in better form than years previous. He looked fast and smart out there. I could swear that he put his body between himself and DB that was going to put a late hit on Wentz on the second to last drive of the game.

--Refs - they did a horrible job with the play clock early on. The first drive should've ended twice with a blatant play clock expiration that went for a first down. The refs called Adams offside on critical third down. He was not. The clock was at 00 and he was timing his rush to take advantage of that countdown. A late-game pass-interference on an uncatchable ball was highly ticky tacky. Was Adams' leap over the line on the 4th down the Colts fumbled on legal?

--Offensive Coordinator - I'd give him an 9 - did the Seahawks scheme against a team for the first time in the RW era? The first drive he just punched it down the Colts' throat with run play after run play after run play. Over the last few years we would've gone away from the run the second it was having success. They also schemed Russ into only getting hit seriously one time if I'm not mistaken. Any other contact was incidental or initiated by Russ. I think Russ will have less bruising and soreness on Monday than usual.

I take away one point because, after Lockett's deep bomb of a touchdown, the hawks tried to twice take the top off on third and 4. Is it too much to ask to get the first down, get ahead on first down and try and launch a bomb on second and 3?

--The PC RW connection. After Russ' fourth TD, PC ran over and was being happy. Russ just looked straight ahead without a smile. I can't tell if this is dead-eyes RW or some coolness between HC and QB. I never once saw them being jovial with each other.

--Going for the jugular. The Hawks did the majority of their damage in the FIRST half. They also pulled away and put their foot on the gas. The last TD by the Colts felt like SB against Denver. You knew it didn't matter, but you were hoping they didn't score for the statistics. This game wasn't close and the Seahawks established their will. Considering they had no preason for the bulk of the starters, color me impressed with the change in mentality.

Cheers!

I agree with almost everything you said. Except for the coolness between Rw and PC they were smiling and hugging after. I think Rw is just laser-focused right now. As to film you are correct once there is film the league will adjust the only difference is I think we have an OC that will also adjust, and mos importantly Wilson finally has permission to change any play at any time to any other play.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Russ started using crossing patterns....that is a change in concept from previous plays.

Torc

Reaction score
Short passing game - I saw screens to RBs, WRs, TEs. They were getting some decent yardage off of them, including one to Everett that was called back but for the purpose of seeing the offense at work, I liked it.

Mid-range passing - there were passes in that 8-15 yard range, something that was sorely lacking last year. This is exactly what will take away that 2 deep safety defense, and open things up for the receivers. when the defense isn't sure if a receiver is going deep or dropping shorter, it gives the offense a little bit of edge.

I thought Waldron called a solid game for his first time out, there's definitely room for improvement. Russ took a couple of "sacks" as they were running out the clock that i'm guessing were broken plays. That's the kind of thing that should get ironed out as the offense gels and Waldron calls more plays.

I saw the Russ/PC interaction and wondered about it too. Russ was also kind of stone faced right at the end of the game, no PC involved. Hopefully he was just 'in the zone'. I think both of them won't let it impact the game, if there is anything there.

On the D, I sure liked the pressure they were getting, but the secondary was about what we expected. (IE, nothing to shout about).

Ruminator

Reaction score
Rasheem Green was devastating today. I don't think I need to look up prior years' stats to know that this was easily his best performance of his career so far. I realize Colts came into this game a bit banged up, but if Green can maintain this caliber of play all year, that could bode well for Seattle's season, and we might see some impressive plus numbers in the turnover category.

godawg

Reaction score
Mone also had a big game. I'm sure Wendt was thinking about him after Mone crushed him to the ground.

seabowl

Reaction score
I think this kid Bobby Wagner is going to be a keeper

Bobblehead

Reaction score
That was one of the most satisfying game I've seen the Hawks play in a long time.. against a good team.

seabowl

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1zj9kfcz said:
That was one of the most satisfying game I've seen the Hawks play in a long time.. against a good team.

Agree. Wasn’t the typical get out to a big lead and then bite nails for the 4th quarter

pmedic920

Reaction score
Crazy but…..

My initial thought was “eat a bag of dicks” to whoever runs the ESPN simulator.
Who the Hell ever believed that the Sea (mother effing) Hawks were going 0-9 to start the season.

25199175d5adcee413c86a4ef0d8849f

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pmedic920":u2nbjy4o said:
Crazy but…..

My initial thought was “eat a bag of dicks” to whoever runs the ESPN simulator.
Who the Hell ever believed that the Sea (mother effing) Hawks were going 0-9 to start the season.

25199175d5adcee413c86a4ef0d8849f
The 2nd best fast food burger and fries is too good for those troglodytes.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I’m never worried about the offense. As long as Russ is here we will always be too 10 in offense.

The defense was surprisingly good today. This looks like the best Dline we’ve had since we made the SB. The corners played pretty well but I can’t judge them off that game. Wentz had no time to even throw downfield and it’s not like Indy has great WR’s.

I still think this team will come down to the corners and pass defense, and ultimately it will fail us. It’s a passing league now, just don’t feel comfortable with Tre Flowers back there.

hawker84

Reaction score
So nice to not be pulling your hair out till the final gun for once. Loved the TD on the first drive of the season.

Skilled players looked in mid season form, defense looked decent, D'line showed up and showed out.

Loved the play from Brooks and Mone and Taylor.. I think we're just going to have to accept we're going to give up some throws with our corners.

Diggs was a beast out there.

Loved the ball management, they were getting to the line with 20+ seconds left most of the night.

All in all very pleased with what I saw. That was a good defense we beat up on pretty good. Hopefully we can sustain it all season this year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Didn’t get the game locally, so I was limited to the radio feed when it was live. Just got done watching the condensed game via GamePass.

The “Willie Mays” catch by Lockett was stupid good. He did a heck of a job adjusting to the ball in the air.

Dissley had an absolutely wicked stiff arm on one play that literally made me laugh out loud. The combo of him and Everett (and hopefully Parkinson when he’s healthy) is going to be special in this offense.

The O-line is better. Some of it is scheme, some of it is personnel. Gabe Jackson makes a difference. Lewis continues to learn and improve. Brown is always solid. Fuller seemed better at C than Pocic. I think this group will get better as they play together and gel, and that bodes well.

We are so lucky to have Carson. Dude doesn’t get enough credit nationally. I don’t blame him for the fumble. He had both hands/arms on the ball, it was just a great job by the defensive player to punch it out.

DK got going in the second half. His TD was just perfect.

Defensively, I like what I see from the D line. Mone and Green were all over the place today. I have high hopes for Rasheem this year. He seems to have really matured and turned a corner, and he’s still just a young guy.

I can’t prove it, but I think Jamal caused that fumble on the snap when he leaped over the line.

Bobby is Bobby. He will be a first ballot Hall of Famer five years after he retires. He had 13 more tackles today and is almost always around the ball.

The delayed punt play wasn’t intentional, per Pete. Not sure what Dickson was trying to do there. Nice recovery to get the kick off, though we ended up with a man downfield penalty. All of his other punts were downed inside the 20 today.

All in all, a very solid first game. Started a bit slow while guys got up to game speed. The O bogged down a bit in the third quarter due to Indy adjustments, but then figured things out to close out the game strong. D was pretty good overall, though we still need to work on coverage at times. But I have no major complaints. Winning an early game on the road to start the season is always a great thing.

Go Hawks!

Chawker

Reaction score
Great tean victory ! Great focus and execution, I am humbly proud of the effert put forth by players and coaches. :2thumbs:

Own The West

Reaction score
I liked that we adapted to what Indy was doing on defense. When they went to cover 2 last year we had no answers. This game, we picked them apart underneath. Russ and Lockett were saying that we still have a bunch of stuff we haven't used. It makes me excited that our offense won't get 'solved' this year because no matter what you take away, we're fine just taking what you give up.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/what-the-seahawks-said-following-their-28-16-win-over-the-colts

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Green was a big stand out as Taylor was as well. I think we can be rest assured our DL is legit. I doubt there will be too many games where our D loses games for us this year, especially with this potent offense that could very well be the best in the league within a month.

Yes, the OL still showed ugly signs of not providing ideal protection at times but they also showed potential throughout the game. I also feel strongly Shane did not show all his cards today. Just a sampling to a non-conference opponent. He's saving the good stuff for our divisional rivals NO DOUBT.

Russ had 4 TDs? Lockett with 2? Just another day at the office. I was hoping we could drive the hammer home in the 3rd quarter but credit to the Colts D which kept us at bay. It was fun to watch them literally lose steam physically and mentally in the 4th. I can't remember the last time I saw a D look and act so dejected with 7 minutes left.

A solid road win boys. We have now won the past 11 of 12 10AM road games??? Do you guys realize how amazing that stat is??!? I sure hope so because I remember like it was yesterday how a 10AM road game was a L before the game was even played.

GO HAWKS!!