Team Dynamics - Celebrate Each Other's Success

Ruminator

Reaction score
This is my all-time favorite thread. This team is for real on all levels. I suspect ET may have challenged ML to try to take the ball to the house every touch, hence the recent interactions between the two.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We're back to last year's chemistry, and that should worry teams.

Harvin really screwed things up; it's hard to estimate how badly he affected the locker room but it's amazing how he did.

The coaching staff knew they had to manage Harvin. They knew there would be issues and they tried to cater to him. The assumption was most likely that if were winning, Harvin's competitive issues would calm down a bit. Other players see his selfish attitude and they see how the coaching staff reacts and human emotion many times is to react and think "hell, why can't I get my way and have folks cater to me? What makes Harvin so special?" And the division begins.

Plus, Harvin was literally divisive; getting players to side into opposing factions. This is speculative, but the reports are out there (also speculative). Thing is, it's hard to tell.....there were reports that Harvin punched Tate for the crap Tate supposedly pulled with RW's wife. Then Harvin is getting the locker room to turn on Russ because he's too close to management and he's not "black enough".

Several people have posted and said that after we traded Harvin is when our team turned it around. I'd have to agree. It just amazes me the dynamic here; Percy even affected the defense, which is amazing to me. I played the game before, and even though we were all on the same team and a "family" it was still an under tone of Offense vs. Defense. It's natural: you line up against eachother in practice every day.

Not trying to digress, but I thought it was fascinating how the Seahawks have this awesome chemistry, and how one person almost submarined it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The only thing more powerful than our talent is our chemistry. You're spot on, these guys believe in each other and are SINCERELY playing for each other, not just lip service and to your point it shows and is self-evident.

That is very, very, very bad news for the rest of the league.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Something good is always about to happen.

I think Pete's experience and positivity has these guys realizing they are part of each other's legacy. It's inevitable whether you're in the league 1 year or 10, you will be connected to those you play with long after the final whistle.

You can be an old man in a rocking chair telling your grandchildren how many sacks or TDs you got, or you can tell them you were a significant contributor to an all-time great football team. A team full of champions who got to the promised land playing together and for each other. Some players out there think the former is where it's at. But the life lessons are in the latter, and that's where these Seahawks live and breathe. With football careers so relatively short, they have realized that in each other they have a chance to do it better than it's ever been done before.

Great thread and OP, Rock.

sc85sis

Reaction score
This is exactly what Pete talked about when he met with the team's position leaders and later during the full team meeting. He told them they need to reconnect and play for each other as a team. That's exactly what they've done.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
This reminds me of that interview of one of the real life 101st airborne paratroopers in the movie "Band of Brothers". The kid asks his grandfather "Granpa, were you a hero in the war?" and he replies "No, but I served in the company of heroes."

This team is truly bonded together tightly and can accomplish anything when that happens.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
And the lesson can be learned in our own worlds as well. For instance, there are things I'm trying to blend into my leadership style at work that can be directly attributed to Pete and this team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
You should trade Pehawk to the Jets board for 4 to 6 donuts, conditional on his performance there. It will probably help this board come together as an even better team.

MagHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1fof7sk9 said:
You should trade Pehawk to the Jets board for 4 to 6 donuts, conditional on his performance there. It will probably help this board come together as an even better team.

The rock clapping

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Seahawk Sailor":1lznp1ow said:
FLhawkfan":1lznp1ow said:
Anyone notice Marshawn giving Hauschka a pep talk on the bench after he missed his second field goal? I thought that said a lot about the team dynamics.

magcctgnm32qhkm7vaqo.gif

http://deadspin.com/marshawn-lynch-makes-seahawks-kicker-steven-hauschka-da-1657445240

Nothing like having Lynch quote Mac Dre to you while FORCING you to go dumb with him after missing THREE FG's!!!! :thirishdrinkers:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
FLhawkfan":3sdo9840 said:
Anyone notice Marshawn giving Hauschka a pep talk on the bench after he missed his second field goal? I thought that said a lot about the team dynamics.

[youtube]f9L_nBDGvKk[/youtube]

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
It makes perfect sense. People said that Pete's collegiate "rah rah" could not work in the NFL. Grown men are too busy working at their job for it to succeed.

Well gee, what if you draft kids as the core of the team? To them this is the same football they have known since Pop Warner. It's never changed for them! Supplement the team with a few veterans that can rekindle the feelings they had for football as a kid, and the team is family. They cheer each other as brothers, just like when they were playing for a pizza party after the game instead of millions of dollars and a Super Bowl ring.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13fla8aw said:

Ya know, Pe is just one of a big bunch of brothers here, and sometimes when brothers spend all that time around each other, they get into fights. So Pe caught a few posters chewing sunflower seeds and said some things about focusing and keeping it about football, and I'm thinking the resulting fight and getting it out there just may have led to a better-performing .NET board.

I'm going with Pe being way, way more like Earl, and NOT AT ALL like Pussy No-Heart-vin.

253hawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":n2yj6r4r said:
Love seeing our guys interactions on the sidelines.

If you listen carefully while Sherm has his head tilted back, you can hear him say "HOLD MY [groin]!"

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks46":216x1d1m said:
We're back to last year's chemistry, and that should worry teams.

Harvin really screwed things up; it's hard to estimate how badly he affected the locker room but it's amazing how he did.

The coaching staff knew they had to manage Harvin. They knew there would be issues and they tried to cater to him. The assumption was most likely that if were winning, Harvin's competitive issues would calm down a bit. Other players see his selfish attitude and they see how the coaching staff reacts and human emotion many times is to react and think "hell, why can't I get my way and have folks cater to me? What makes Harvin so special?" And the division begins.

Plus, Harvin was literally divisive; getting players to side into opposing factions. This is speculative, but the reports are out there (also speculative). Thing is, it's hard to tell.....there were reports that Harvin punched Tate for the crap Tate supposedly pulled with RW's wife. Then Harvin is getting the locker room to turn on Russ because he's too close to management and he's not "black enough".

Several people have posted and said that after we traded Harvin is when our team turned it around. I'd have to agree. It just amazes me the dynamic here; Percy even affected the defense, which is amazing to me. I played the game before, and even though we were all on the same team and a "family" it was still an under tone of Offense vs. Defense. It's natural: you line up against eachother in practice every day.

Not trying to digress, but I thought it was fascinating how the Seahawks have this awesome chemistry, and how one person almost submarined it.

I've expressed my opinion that Harvin's history, and the 'Percy Harvin Experience" shows all the signs of a group of people dealing with an toxic individual with Borderline Personality Disorder. if you search on my posts and "Borderline" you'll find several of them that have more of a breakdown of the signs and the data, likely sequence of events. Harvin absolutely was a poison here and the most important thing Carroll/Schneider did this season was getting Percy out of the organization so the team as a whole could get its mojo back. With a sociopathic Borderline, which is what I believe Harvin is, the things you describe are most likely significantly understating the issues he caused.

One thing I would "improve" about your account: "the assumption was that if (the team) was winning, Harvin's (issues) would calm down a bit"... I believe that at first, Harvin successfully presented himself as a "victim" of circumstances and unfairness in Minnesota, and sold Pete on how everything would be different, with no issues at all, in a higher-quality organization like Seattle that was "truly committed" to winning. Pete bought it, assumed the Seattle environment and team culture he's worked so hard to create would take care of things, and totally failed to see the underlying mental health issues that were present. Borderlines excel at convincingly portraying themselves as a "victim" of their former organization/partner and getting others to side with them, up front. Then, down the road, things unravel, and they start playing their games in a new setting, and it becomes obvious THEY were the real problem all along. By then the damage has already been done.

Borderlines are also phenomenal at figuring out what you're looking for, and then, like a chameleon, presenting themselves to appear to be what you are looking for. Pete wanted to see a misunderstood young man who'd been in a bad situation, and would thrive and be a difference-maker player in Pete's program in Seattle. (Like a Bruce Irvin or a Marshawn Lynch) Pete got suckered and saw what he wanted to see and ignored multiple warning signs about what was truly there. Pete and the organization did fully catch on this season and took decisive and appropriate action.