Texans' trade of Duane Brown doesn't make football sense

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Let's keep this talk in this forum please.

The relationship between Brown and the Texans clearly soured after his holdout lasted into the regular season. Then, after Texans owner Bob McNair referred to NFL players as “inmates” during a meeting with players and owners about national anthem protests, according to an ESPN The Magazine story, Brown was the spokesperson for the Texans players about the situation.

Brown said Friday that he found McNair's comments "disrespectful," adding, "I can't say I'm surprised, and ... I'm sure there are a lot of owners that feel that way."

"I think it was ignorant," Brown continued. "I think it was embarrassing. I think it angered a lot of players, including myself. We put our bodies and minds on the line every time we step on that field, and to use an analogy of inmates in prison, that's disrespectful. That's how I feel about it."

Brown’s comments, just days before the trade deadline, showed he was not afraid to speak his mind and was not afraid of potentially being dealt. Although this trade had been discussed for much of the season, Brown's comments appeared to be a catalyst to get something done.

Brown said Monday that it was much easier to block for Watson because his mobility and ability to escape pressure can cover mistakes by the offensive line.

“I just couldn't believe some of the plays he was making,” Brown said. “I’ve never blocked for anyone like him. He's a special talent. Don't know what is going on back there sometimes, but you know if there is some kind of trouble, you think he is going to get up out of there somehow, make a play. Big, explosive plays being made by him.”

Now Watson is going to be protected by an offensive line that has faced question marks all season and doesn’t have a ton of experience. Although Clark has proved to be capable this season, he does not have Brown’s track record of success. The Texans showed with this trade they are willing to sacrifice talent on the field because of off-field issues.
http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans ... ld-product

pmedic920

Reaction score
Not sure if I can find a link but here in Houston it was reported that Brown was a calming force when players threatened to walk out.

Was said that he rallied the guys and kept them focused on Football.

Regardless of the issues, and how it may end up, I see that as mature leadership.

Hopefully that skill set translates into our locker room.

Brown has been a stand up guy in the community too. More hidden value if you ask me.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Brown has been unhappy in Houston all season. He held out for a new contract through all of training camp and most of the regular season, suiting up for the first time this weekend.

Brown was also one of many players that was upset by -- and considered walking out because of -- Texans owner Bob McNair's comments in which he appeared to refer to NFL players as "inmates" that are running the prison. McNair later apologized and claimed he was referring to the league office, but that explanation was not well-received in NFL circles.

Brown told Pro Football Talk in a Saturday morning interview that there were other things McNair said and did that caused concern. When Brown was a rookie in 2008, Barack Obama was elected president. "He came to talk to the team," Brown said of McNair. "He was visibly upset about it. He said, 'I know a lot of y'all are happy right now, but it's not the outcome that some of us were looking for.' That was very shocking to me."

Brown also noted that after he protested during the national anthem last season, unlike players from some other teams, he did not receive any organizational support. "I protested [during the national anthem] last year, and there was no backing of my character as a man as a leader or a player," Brown said. "There was nothing said by [McNair] or the organization to back me at all. They just kind of sent me to the wolves."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texa ... aft-picks/

mikeak

Reaction score
pmedic920":1ih13ctz said:
Not sure if I can find a link but here in Houston it was reported that Brown was a calming force when players threatened to walk out.

Was said that he rallied the guys and kept them focused on Football.

Regardless of the issues, and how it may end up, I see that as mature leadership.

Hopefully that skill set translates into our locker room.

Brown has been a stand up guy in the community too. More hidden value if you ask me.

of course he was a calming force - he wanted to make sure he got an opportunity to showcase himself in Seattle

:stirthepot:

On a more serious note I do think (from looking around a bit) that we do have someone unhappy with his contract that may have gone to greater lengths of sitting out solely due to a bad relationship with the owner / front office.

So Seattle has 12 games (see what I did there?) to convince him that we are a good team with a great FO and Owner and that he wants to stay here. That will truly be the start to what a good relationship can be built on. Then obviously he has to be happy with the money… I have a hard time imagine more than a 3 year extension – he would be old when that ends and really 2 year extension (so on top of the 1 remaining year) would be perfect, but doubt he goes for it.