The 2007 Defense and Wavering in my Super Bowl Prediction

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
As we struggle through a mild sophomore slump for this offense*, it's kinda not surprising that our level of play (if not our record) has taken a step back from 2012, in which we repeatedly dominated lesser opponents and saved our "winning ugly" for Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. However, I'm more and more unpleasantly reminded of something every week we play.

The following is a table of the quarterbacks Seattle's defense faced in 2007, including playoffs.
BeatBeaten By
Jeff GarciaDrew Brees
Carson PalmerMatt Leinart
Trent DilferBen Roethlisberger
Marc BulgerDerek Anderson
Alex SmithMatt Moore
Rex GrossmanChris Redman
Gus FrerotteBrett Favre
A.J. Feeley
Kurt Warner*
Troy Smith
Todd Collins
[tdo=11]Opposing QBs, 2007[/tdo]
*pre-Arizona-Oline-getting-its-act-together

If you examine it carefully, it's an eye-catching dichotomy. With a few exceptions, the 2007 Seahawks faced an unusually friendly series of opposing QBs - backups, game managers, busts in the imminent making - mixed in with only two true franchise quarterbacks in eighteen games. Naturally, Seattle handed the bottom-dwellers just fine. And yet, Seattle not only lost against both elite QB's it faced, if you remember, they proved unable to do much of anything at all against those two (Brees and Roethlisberger) in a dramatic swing from their usual performances. It also struggled to stop a couple of the younger experiments, like Anderson (who had a red-hot 2007 before he got exposed).

Seattle rode into the playoffs with the reputation of a powerful pass-rush and ballhawking defense. Playing against Todd Collins in the Wild Card game was never going to damage that reputation. However, once they took the field against Brett Favre, the defense pulled a Jekyll-and-Hyde, from elite to powerless so suddenly that it gave me whiplash. THIS was the defense that had been lauded all year? What happened to them?

Now you can blame that on the Lambeau snowstorm if you want. If you can already sense where I'm going with this argument and don't like it, you'll probably do just that. But for the following two years, the defense continued to be exposed horribly against franchise QB after franchise QB. By the end of 2009, every starter but Brandon Mebane had wound up on the fans' "blow it all up and start over" list. Our 2007 schedule had indeed masked a mediocre Tim Ruskell defense. The lesson there is that strength of opposition matters. Every team faces jokers from time to time, but occasionally a team will stumble into a truly pillow-soft schedule that has the power to alter perceptions. And while the QB is far from the entire team, he is the single greatest deciding factor of a team's quality after defense.

Now in 2013, Seattle has strung together a series of difficult, ugly wins against a gang of opposing QBs difficult to distinguish from 2007's in terms of strength.

BeatBeaten By
Cam NewtonAndrew Luck
Colin Kaepernick
Chad Henne
Matt Schaub
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Carson Palmer
Kellen Clemens
Mike Glennon
[tdo=11]Opposing QBs, 2013[/tdo]

The jury is still out on a lot of these guys, of course. Schaub is probably on the decline like 2007 Bulger was. Fitzpatrick shares a skill rung with T-Jack. Newton and Kaep have played some quietly good football lately, and they along with Glennon might turn into franchise QB's like Smith or flatline like Grossman finally did. Too soon to tell. In six years, will this look like the 2007 lineup or something stronger? Who knows.

But at the moment, the lists seem uncomfortably comparable to me, and it won't strength in the next two games. Quite a few timid and inaccurate QBs in there. To argue that Seattle's defense has faced strong QB's this year is unconvincing. They've dominated for the most part, as they should. They even held down Andrew Luck for a half. But if you don't want to cast a skeptical eye on THAT side of the ball, consider that Seattle has still clawed and scratched to win those games because of offensive issues.

The trend of horribly timed penalties, special-teams gaffes, miscommunication, offensive line struggles, lack of WR separation, QB inexperience, and lackadaisical first halves culminated today in Seattle almost losing to a winless team, untested QB, and lame-duck head coach - at home. "It's always an accomplishment to win on the road" falls a little flat today. Nobody can convince me that the Bucs are just so damn talented that a 21-0 home deficit was fully understandable for Seattle. You're arguing against a 0-7 record there. And now the defense is joining in the surprising decline. Our run defense has taken a huge step back in the last two games. The pass rush was gone today. There is only one BS yellow flag that Seattle can really hide behind for an excuse, and it was early in the game. We've had effort and heart for sure. No denying that. And we've undoubtedly got more true talent than the 2007 defense.

But I am not convinced that we can continue pulling miracles each and every week and carry that trend all the way to the George Halas trophy. That is what people are suggesting we can do. That is not a sustainable model against real competition. When we hit the NFC playoffs this year, we will face strong defenses with a good pass rush. We've proven that we can survive that. We will ALSO face elite quarterbacks in either Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, who will place much more urgency on our offense to score points. If we reach the Super Bowl, it'll be Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, or perhaps Tom Brady, whom everyone has unwisely forgotten about. All five of those guys are Super Bowl winners who know how to close out games (well, maybe not Peyton). They take advantage of opportunities and feature better weapons. Can we expect to stumble out of the gates, f*** around for two or three quarters, and expect victory to still be standing around waiting for us in the fourth, against THOSE guys?

For those whose only response is "8-1", I will simply redirect you to the second table above. The ONLY time we have faced an elite QB this year, our model did not deliver us. Our early mistakes and periodic lapses just tilted the scales too much for Russell Wilson to compensate. That to me offers unsettling hints of the 2007 phenomenon. We have some talent on offense, but it's not being used correctly. We have oodles of talent on defense, and it's been our great equalizer thus far. We're now on a 35-game streak of never losing by more than a touchdown. But the other team can also benefit from that. Pete Carroll's philosophy, at least at this stage of development, looks like walking a high wire week in and week out. In my opinion, our lone loss says more about our playoff chances than all eight wins combined. Call me scarred over 2007, call me a troll (Hi, Volsung!), but that's truthfully where I stand. And the Seahawks certainly haven't convinced me otherwise by playing so uneven the last couple games.

I am hoping that all this is the loss of offensive players - Okung, Harvin, Rice, Breno. Three of those we'll get back, and it had better make a difference. Because there's been a lot of talk on this very board about problems that have nothing to do with those guys being out. The item of health is the one thing preserving my Super Bowl prediction If our gimpies weren't coming back, I'd have no hesitation calling the 8-1 record at least a partial mirage and casting doubt on our SB hopes. I'm not there yet. But I do believe that Seattle will need a personnel jolt to get over that extra hump. (The return of Robinson was a huge help today.)

Let's hope that health brings that jolt, because I've never experienced so many wins that feel less like wins and more like excuses. In 2005, we had our share of tough games. But we didn't have our share of soft play and jaw-dropping screwups. We should not, with all this talent, be back in our 2009 habit of getting excited over every single precious first-down completion. Not when our future playoff opponents churn them out as a matter of routine. Forget the records, these Seahawks were better last year. I'd like to see them get back to where we know they can be.

*Changed this from originally saying "a sophomore slump for Russell Wilson". It's not just him, and Wilson's also having to deal with more responsibilities than last year. He's doing fine.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great post, Montana. Hard to argue with any of your points.

The one thing I can offer is that I really think Pete believes his mantra that teams "that finish strong usually win." It is, after all, interesting that the Hawks one loss came after their strongest start.

But--that's a hard thing to measure, and finishing strong after starting weak just isn't as useful when you play teams that regularly put up 35+ points (Manning, Brees, Brady).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Excellent post man. Here's hoping the team gets healthy and offsets the issues our team has been having. That and Harvin makes a difference too (if he does come back).

amill87

Reaction score
I get what you're saying but we lost to the rams, cards, lions and dolphins. We beat the elite qbs last year and lost to the average to bad ones.

I said it last week and today didn't help disprove it. One is the offensive play calling is held back until we need it. Two this team believes he can make mistakes because they believe they can win no matter what. I'd wish they'd fix both these things but it seems like we adjust how good we are vs whatever team we are playing

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't see how Wilson is having a sophomore slump.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bgaer13 said:
As we struggle through what is obviously a sophomore slump for Russell Wilson

Obvious to who? Russell Wilson is playing better than he was last year. It would be insane to think otherwise IMO.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":26gd7hsk said:
MontanaHawk05":26gd7hsk said:

Obvious to who? Russell Wilson is playing better than he was last year. It would be insane to think otherwise IMO.

Better in some ways, and it's not the worst sophomore slump I've ever seen. But I wonder if part of the O-line struggles have been on Wilson's protection-calling, and he's been eating some sacks he shouldn't have to. I'm not saying we're in serious trouble.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
How do you suss out who is responsible for that, though? I mean, this is an honest question, what am I looking for to try and guess that Wilson just read the defense wrong and made bad protection calls? Also, how much of that is on Unger, who I know helps in that regard?

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3d1f2ubg said:
How do you suss out who is responsible for that, though? I mean, this is an honest question, what am I looking for to try and guess that Wilson just read the defense wrong and made bad protection calls? Also, how much of that is on Unger, who I know helps in that regard?

You might be fully right. I really only bring it up as a possibility, because it's something that nobody seems to have considered. We've had an awful lot of free rushers on Wilson this month (and faced a lot of DC's who are good at disguising their rushes, to be fair).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everything you posted. It feels like we won the lottery twice in the past six days, once on Monday and once on Sunday; lol.

As I said a little bit ago in another thread, remember how so many people made fun of Denver beating up on crap teams and even barely winning a few over crap teams to get a 13-3 record last year, and plenty of people predicted their one-and-done demise in the playoffs.

As I've also been saying the past few weeks...We will not get to the Super Bowl if we keep finding ways to shoot ourselves in the foot multiple times per game each week. I'm still loving our 8-1 record and enjoying today's win, but I am keeping my playoff expectations tempered until I see us fix our "stupid mistakes every week" habit.

Sac

Reaction score
DVOA says different. We've played some tough teams.

The elite QBs we aren't playing against this year makes up for last years murderers row of elite QBs.

razgriz737

Reaction score
DavidSeven":v62l69y5 said:
MontanaHawk05":v62l69y5 said:

Have to agree. The words "sophomore slump" haven't crossed my mind at all this year.

aawolf

Reaction score
If we beat Matt Ryan, will you still be worried?

themunn

Reaction score
An interesting observation, however, this defense steps up against elite quarterbacks, and one loss against Andrew Luck isn't going to change that opinion for me.

That game, in reality, comes down to a blocked kick returned for a TD and a total offensive failure in the 4th quarter (2 drives, first ended in a 3 and out, second had a decent run by Wilson followed by 3 incompletions and then an interception on 4th down).

Even still, whilst the potential is clearly there with Andrew Luck, he still hasn't proven himself as elite - certainly no moreso than Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick anyway. And he is certainly not playing better than Wilson is this season

bestfightstory

Reaction score
"We will ALSO face elite quarterbacks in either Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, who will place much more urgency on our offense to score points. If we reach the Super Bowl, it'll be Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, or perhaps Tom Brady, whom everyone has unwisely forgotten about."

You seem to have unwisely forgotten about the 3 other AFC teams that will participate in the playoffs.

And I have attended games in Seattle that Brees and Rodgers also attended. I was not impressed.

amill87

Reaction score
Yeah you are saying elite quarterbacks or good teams will beat us except last year when we were unable to beat the bad teams we were still good enough to beat the good teams.

I'm sorry but trying to compare this team to the 07 hawks (a team on a massive decline) is foolish. This team has a championship heart.