The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":publ4ekx said:
Did some digging on the Mariners batting stats.

The best hitter so far is Dae Ho Lee. He leads the team in both wOBA and wRC+. What's really cool too is that he's doing this despite having a very unlucky BABIP of .217 (league average is .296). It's very rare for a player to have a BABIP that is lower than his batting average (Lee is hitting .281), but the reason this is true for Lee is because home runs don't factor into BABIP and Lee has 4 home runs in just 35 plate appearances.

So in other words, Lee has been killing it in the appearances he's gotten, and as BABIP normalizes, his batting average will only get better. Of course, we probably can't expect him to hit a HR every 9 plate appearances much longer, but overall he's off to a terrific start. He's also, surprisingly, one of the best hitters on the team at avoiding strikeouts.

Cano, Cruz and Smith have all been really good, no shockers there. All have been good at avoiding strikeouts too. This is surprising for Cruz as he's a player known for striking out a lot.

Marte currently has an outstanding BABIP of .350, but his overall batting numbers are sunk by the fact that he isn't hitting for power. His defense and solid OBP make him a valuable player though. He's currently on pace for about 2.4 WAR.

Martin and Ianetta are surprisingly high on Seattle's WAR leaderboard. Martin is there because his defense is good and defense matters a ton at CF, Ianetta is there because catchers are generally bad hitters and he's slightly better than bad as a hitter.

Adam Lind is the biggest disaster for the Mariners so far. He has a league average BABIP, but a massive strikeout rate and a very low isolated slugging percentage. In other words, he's really bad with little indication that he is about to get better. He is really struggling. Franklin Gutierrez has a similarly bleak hitting profile, though he is not as harmful with his defense as LInd is.

Aoki, despite feeling like a solid player, currently has negative WAR. That said, his BB/K ratio is 2nd best on the team behind only Seth Smith, so there's a decent chance that Aoki's bat will warm up a bit as the season rolls on.

Seager has been getting killed by BABIP luck, but otherwise his bat looks just fine. His BB/K ratio and isolated slugging percentage aren't that far off from Robinson Cano's. Once his BABIP luck normalizes, he'll be just like the Kyle Seager we're familiar with. And his defense is still very good.
I really appreciate the in depth, new school statistical breakdowns man. As a guy from the era of BA, RBI, ERA, etc. it's good to see a deeper analysis.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2ht9i57p said:
With all that said, I'm glad the Mariners are in the AL right now. The NL is crazy strong.

How the hell are the Phillies so good?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Good thing I haven't watched any games lately, because when I watch their games, they almost always lose...

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":12jp9dml said:
Altuve is a Mariner killer.

Great win today.
Now that Jeter is retired, he may be my favorite non-local tie player.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm very glad the M's are in the AL as well. The AL looks wide open right now. Who really scares you out of the AL? While the Royals are defending champs, they look very beatable this year. Their starting pitching is very average. The White Sox seem like the team to beat in the AL this year, but I don't think they really scare anyone. The NL looks like a slugfest. The Cubs will be the front-runners in the NL behind that all-star lineup and the starting pitching of Arietta and Lester. But the Nats aren't far behind. Dodgers will be there in the end too. And the Mets may have one of the greatest starting rotations in the history of baseball.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tical21":o0tbh1ma said:
kearly":o0tbh1ma said:

Great win today.

He is mine for sure.

If I could pick any player in the league and pluck them off their current team and put them on the Mariners, it would be a really hard choice between Altuve and Trout. In the end, it would be Altuve though. I just like him better than Trout. Not sure why really.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Chapow":1um8mt3l said:
Tical21":1um8mt3l said:
kearly":1um8mt3l said:

Great win today.

He is mine for sure.

If I could pick any player in the league and pluck them off their current team and put them on the Mariners, it would be a really hard choice between Altuve and Trout. In the end, it would be Altuve though. I just like him better than Trout. Not sure why really.

Give me trout for the fact we don't really have a CF and are already solidified at 2B for a long time. But you can't go wrong with either. I think if I had to start a franchise with one player it is either Trout, Correa, Altuve or Stanton. You can probably make a case for Manny Machado, that guy is so overlooked.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":ds7jl50f said:
Chapow":ds7jl50f said:
Tical21":ds7jl50f said:
kearly":ds7jl50f said:

Great win today.

He is mine for sure.

Give me trout for the fact we don't really have a CF and are already solidified at 2B for a long time. But you can't go wrong with either. I think if I had to start a franchise with one player it is either Trout, Correa, Altuve or Stanton. You can probably make a case for Manny Machado, that guy is so overlooked.

(Emphasis mine) That is a really good point. Still like Altuve better, but you are right that Trout would be a better pick up for the Mariners right now and probably for years to come.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fowler off the Cubs would be perfect for CF.Trout is better but we don't have enough to get him and being in same division as the Angels is a big problem.The Cubs could pull a trade with the Angels however(easily)get Trout and trade us Dexter.I bring all this up because there are rumors that the Angels are seriously thinking trade due to injuries and a weak farm system according to ESPN.. http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... mike-trout

Chapow

Reaction score
Interesting stuff, but I have to agree with this bit from the end of that article,

Odds of the Angels ever trading Trout have to be slim to slim to none.

But I was just sort of wishful pipe dream thinking. I think the chances of the M's actually acquiring either Altuve or Trout are about as close to zero as you could possibly get without actually being zero.

Maulbert

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2ni0pnm7 said:
Fowler off the Cubs would be perfect for CF.Trout is better but we don't have enough to get him and being in same division as the Angels is a big problem.The Cubs could pull a trade with the Angels however(easily)get Trout and trade us Dexter.I bring all this up because there are rumors that the Angels are seriously thinking trade due to injuries and a weak farm system according to ESPN.. http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... mike-trout

The Angels aren't seriously considering it, ESPN wrote a clickbate article that OPINED they should consider trading Trout. Big difference.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
You find a way to build a team around a guy like Mike Trout, not trade him away. Generational players don't come along every year or two.

kearly

Reaction score
Adam Lind is a good hitter in his prime. Not really sure if I've seen a better Mariners hitter start a season more miserably than Lind has. I was going to say that he's channeling his inner Scott Spiezio, but that would be an understatement.

Today clearly was not the Mariners day, with BABIP luck extremely favoring the Astros. It felt like every hit the Astros had was a seeing eye ground ball, and the Mariners had plenty of well hit balls into the outfield that got tracked down or caught with the tip of the glove on a dive. That diving grab in the 7th inning may have saved the game for Houston.

I liked that even on a day where nothing went right for the Mariners, they competed hard and made it feel like a game again late. Hopefully Taijuan Walker is okay.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mariners lookalikes -

Seth Smith aka Peter Brady

MirJQjXz

Wade Miley aka Bray Wyatt

Headshot 58453
TW_BrayWyatt.jpg

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Pulled out the win. Karns is looking pretty good as of late. Hopefully we can swap Paxton for Miley as our lefty.

Status
Not open for further replies.