The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearly

Reaction score
Mariners started the year 0-3 in one run games, and have since gone 7-1.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":1lyknjsr said:
Adam Lind is a good hitter in his prime. Not really sure if I've seen a better Mariners hitter start a season more miserably than Lind has. I was going to say that he's channeling his inner Scott Spiezio, but that would be an understatement.

Today clearly was not the Mariners day, with BABIP luck extremely favoring the Astros. It felt like every hit the Astros had was a seeing eye ground ball, and the Mariners had plenty of well hit balls into the outfield that got tracked down or caught with the tip of the glove on a dive. That diving grab in the 7th inning may have saved the game for Houston.

I liked that even on a day where nothing went right for the Mariners, they competed hard and made it feel like a game again late. Hopefully Taijuan Walker is okay.
Jeff Cirillo had a horrible start one year.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":yfvzav5w said:
Adam Lind is a good hitter in his prime. Not really sure if I've seen a better Mariners hitter start a season more miserably than Lind has. I was going to say that he's channeling his inner Scott Spiezio, but that would be an understatement.
I'd like to see them forget the righty-lefty stuff for a while and just stick Lee in there, sitting Lind. He's been TERRIBLE!

CPHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":9at9gnc2 said:
hawksfansinceday1":9at9gnc2 said:
peachesenregalia":9at9gnc2 said:
See? All's well that ends well......
Yes it is, and I'm not fat. :D
Long (6'6") and leaner (250 lbs).

Good win tonight. Cano's just killin ' it right now.

Save it for the ladies, fatso.

Studies show that most people see themselves as skinner than they really are.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CPHawk":1njbfqlw said:
peachesenregalia":1njbfqlw said:
hawksfansinceday1":1njbfqlw said:
peachesenregalia":1njbfqlw said:
See? All's well that ends well......
Yes it is, and I'm not fat. :D
Long (6'6") and leaner (250 lbs).

Good win tonight. Cano's just killin ' it right now.

Save it for the ladies, fatso.

Studies show that most people see themselves as skinner than they really are.
My picture has been on this site numerous times and still is in the photo thread. *yawn*

Hawker

Reaction score
Only the Cubs & White Sox have more wins than the Mariners at-present; rightfully so, a couple of the power rankings have us at #3 this week.

What a season so far.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hawker":dw6cb6z3 said:
Only the Cubs & White Sox have more wins than the Mariners at-present; rightfully so, a couple of the power rankings have us at #3 this week.

What a season so far.

What's in Chicagos water?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Largent80":fd2b8fhh said:
Hawker":fd2b8fhh said:

What a season so far.

Hadn't you heard? Fallout from the Hanford leak.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2xc5aprz said:
Hawker":2xc5aprz said:

What a season so far.

White Sox record doesn't look as impressive when you see they went 6-0 against a bad Twins team.

kearly

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":19q0t9w2 said:

Cirillo is probably the best comparison. Came from a national league hitters park, long history of hitting well, same age. The sad thing is, Cirillo's OPS in his worst year in Seattle was 50 points higher than Lind's right now, and Cirillo was good defensively at third base, whereas Lind is a liability at 1st base. So even Cirillo looks decent when compared to Lind so far.

kearly

Reaction score
The Mariners are 7th in run differential, 3rd in the AL. Which is pretty good, but It's hard to tell what's real with so much weirdness this season. The rotation is getting better results than it is supposed to be getting, the bullpen is getting WAY better results than it is supposed to be getting, and on offense the Mariners are one of the very worst teams in baseball for BABIP and BA with RISP, yet they are #1 in scoring with 2 outs and one of the best come from behind teams.

Everything is weird. I thought Seattle would compete for the playoffs this year and be pretty good, but the way they are getting there is really strange.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1l09vppz said:
Sports Hernia":1l09vppz said:

Cirillo is probably the best comparison. Came from a national league hitters park, long history of hitting well, same age. The sad thing is, Cirillo's OPS in his worst year in Seattle was 50 points higher than Lind's right now, and Cirillo was good defensively at third base, whereas Lind is a liability at 1st base. So even Cirillo looks decent when compared to Lind so far.
Aaaaand Lind comes up in the first inning with men on 1st and 3rd and 1 out so a simple fly ball scores a run. The pitcher for TB is Chris Archer who Lind is a career .350 hitter against (7 for 20) and what does he do? Whiffs on 3 pitches. He won't last past 4th of July at this rate.

Damn Taijuan is dominating so far today!

sutz

Reaction score
It is still the first half of May. Lot of time for regression to the mean, if that is what will happen. I'm just enjoying the ride so far.

I do like that they seem to be better than last year at the little things, moving runners, hitting RISP (still inconsistent, though), and pitching. Sadly, it's starting to look like Felix might be past his prime, which is sad because of all he has done for the franchise. Defense has been somewhat better, too. Marte has been quite the pleasant surprise O and D.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Great win and swept the series.

Didn't think they were going to do it in the extra innings when the Rays had guys in scoring position with only 1 out.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The M's just keep winning and it's ugly at times but these are the games they lost last year.Go M'S!!!

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1fj1173t said:
The M's just keep winning and it's ugly at times but these are the games they lost last year.Go M'S!!!
Yeah, in '15 we sucked at 1-run games IIRC. This year, so far, we seem to be killing it in them.

I guess it can't go on forever, but I'm sure enjoying it now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.