The 2017 recruiting thread.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2s5rdg0o said:
sc85sis":2s5rdg0o said:
davidonmi":2s5rdg0o said:
gaines won't go pro.

Either way it's devastating.
Screw USC and their dirty tactics. I hope helton goes out Kiffin style.

UW needs to full court press that Poly DT who's transferring out of TTU
Helton is nothing like Kiffin. Recruits, high school coaches and his players like him because he's honest with them and is a really good person.

This talk about USC using dirty tactics is BS.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp ... story.html
I wasn't aware Helton's mom had an account here!

Honest and a really good person....hahaha come on

I don't know much about Helton's character but there were reports of him trying to purge recruits after SC went on their winning streak last year and were able to attract better recruits. That's cheap and it has also been speculated that Willie Taggart was trying to open up scholarships by purging some players at Oregon. Is that what inspired intense workouts eight months before the season even started?

These kids are treated like expendable pieces of meat at some schools and they are completely without representation. They need to form a union. At the very least recruits shoud be wary of schools that play this game with young people's lives.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2016/12/ ... ing-class/

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3518 ... d.html.csp

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bdavidridpa ... 279f6a20cc

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1c62lq78 said:
sc85sis":1c62lq78 said:
davidonmi":1c62lq78 said:
gaines won't go pro.

Either way it's devastating.
Screw USC and their dirty tactics. I hope helton goes out Kiffin style.

UW needs to full court press that Poly DT who's transferring out of TTU
Helton is nothing like Kiffin. Recruits, high school coaches and his players like him because he's honest with them and is a really good person.

This talk about USC using dirty tactics is BS.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp ... story.html

The "oh you're his mom" type of response adds nothing to the conversation. Also, I've been a member of this site since 2010 and am known to be a rational poster.

USC always gets good recruits when they are winning because of the University's tradition in college football. Having good recruiters on staff just ensures more of them come. It's the height of hyperbole to claim shady stuff is going on just because Helton and staff are closing well.

Oh and yes, he is a good person. Just like Pete Carroll is. I was accused of being his mom too back in the day, but then people actually realized I was correct.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
After watching what Petersen's done with defensive lineman the past few years, why the hell wouldn't you want to go there? I guess football development isn't always the most important thing to a recruit.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2m4ngp3u said:
After watching what Petersen's done with defensive lineman the past few years, why the hell wouldn't you want to go there? I guess football development isn't always the most important thing to a recruit.

Maybe he wants to win a championship. Better chance at that in the next few years at USC then at uw, IMO. Plus he wants to play with his buddy Jay Tufele.

sondevil89

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2twe1rw9 said:

High value recruits want to get to the NFL and as quickly as possible. Anyone who thinks they place championships above that is naive. In '15 the Huskies put three defensive players in the first round of the NFL draft, this year they will add at least two more. Especially, when it comes to defense, there isn't a better place to be.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
sc85sis":1cw68mvk said:
Hawkfan77":1cw68mvk said:

The "oh you're his mom" type of response adds nothing to the conversation. Also, I've been a member of this site since 2010 and am known to be a rational poster.

USC always gets good recruits when they are winning because of the University's tradition in college football. Having good recruiters on staff just ensures more of them come. It's the height of hyperbole to claim shady stuff is going on just because Helton and staff are closing well.

Oh and yes, he is a good person. Just like Pete Carroll is. I was accused of being his mom too back in the day, but then people actually realized I was correct.
It was a joke, lighten up. :2thumbs:

But if what I've heard about is even half way true about some of the things Helton has done behind the scenes during the recruiting process (some have to do with marlon, some not) he's not close to the saint you make him out to be. But alls fair in recruiting...until it's not.

davidonmi

Reaction score
rumors are tui's immigration status played a role in this situation.

So yes, I will continue to believe helton and especially Nansen were playing dirty until I see otherwise

sondevil89

Reaction score
There seems to be some concern that the Husky's recruiting ranking has dropped. A good part of that ranking is based on points and teams with more recruits will naturally be given more points. If you go by the individual average ranking, the real value of the class, the Huskies would be ranked #10.

In fact the Huskies, in spite of USC's recent coup, are currently out-recruiting USC in terms of individual recruit average.

And, to say that USC is the clear favorite to win the Pac is pure hyperbole, USC will lose 11 starters from last year's class. UW has a very favorable schedule and almost all their skill players returning on offense. Given that, UW has an excellent chance to win the Pac.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
davidonmi":2ycbacs6 said:

So yes, I will continue to believe helton and especially Nansen were playing dirty until I see otherwise

So, what, Helton was threatening to deport his family if he didnt commit to USC? I cant imagine how immigration status would play into recruiting... (not saying that you're wrong, just cant figure out how it would factor in).

Honestly, recruiting is just a slimy, slimy business and nothing would really surprise me, and no schools are above it. Even Coach Petersen at UW, who i'll admit probably is not as slimey as most. UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":9aj3sgrt said:
UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.
Ok can we drop that lie? I keep hearing that and it's just not true and would be impossible to enforce. Really, he doesn't let them visit schools? How can he force a kid to not visit? Jason Puckett loves to bring this up and does so constantly when trying to muddy Petersen's image.

The truth is CP says as long as you don't visit we will stop recruiting your position. If you look around, then we will too.
But once you commit to UW, we commit and will not try to get someone higher rated and leave you stranded because we decided to pull your offer because a better player came calling. That's why if UW has 17 spots available, they get 17 commits. Not 25 like most other schools and then trim down the lower rated guys a week before signing day.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2qxwakg6 said:
JSeahawks":2qxwakg6 said:
UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.
Ok can we drop that lie? I keep hearing that and it's just not true and would be impossible to enforce. Really, he doesn't let them visit schools? How can he force a kid to not visit? Jason Puckett loves to bring this up and does so constantly when trying to muddy Petersen's image.

The truth is CP says as long as you don't visit we will stop recruiting your position. If you look around, then we will too.
But once you commit to UW, we commit and will not try to get someone higher rated and leave you stranded because we decided to pull your offer because a better player came calling. That's why if UW has 17 spots available, they get 17 commits. Not 25 like most other schools and then trim down the lower rated guys a week before signing day.

Its simple to enforce. "if you go visit other schools youre no longer part of our class.". So explain to me why Marlon Tuipolutu had to lie to the UW coaches and try and keep it a big secret that he was visiting USC.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":9x0ofsq2 said:
JSeahawks":9x0ofsq2 said:

:2thumbs: Nice clarification of his policy. Not surprised that some would characterize it as something it is clearly not.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":21o4mw1f said:
Its simple to enforce. "if you go visit other schools youre no longer part of our class.". So explain to me why Marlon Tuipolutu had to lie to the UW coaches and try and keep it a big secret that he was visiting USC.

Not sure how in any way that's a knock on UW/Petersen. The Tuipolutu family lied because they're duplicitous, not because UW/Petersen rules are wrong. They wanted the safety/security of a UW commitment while continuing to shop around, UW/Petersen letting recruits know that that safety/security doesn't exist if they want to look elsewhere is not a bad thing.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":2a4burys said:
JSeahawks":2a4burys said:

Not sure how in any way that's a knock on UW/Petersen. The Tuipolutu family lied because they're duplicitous, not because UW/Petersen rules are wrong. They wanted the safety/security of a UW commitment while continuing to shop around, UW/Petersen letting recruits know that that safety/security doesn't exist if they want to look elsewhere is not a bad thing.

Like I said, I think its very low on the spectrum of dirtyness/slimyness. More just hypocritical than anything else, that they dont want their guys to trip somewhere else but they have no problem bringing in guys that are commited somewhere else. It doesnt bother me though, and its not like i'm upset about it. Anything goes in recruiting and i'm sure the Ducks do slimy, dirty stuff too. I know under Chip Kelly they had that same rule about commited players visiting other places.

sondevil89

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1he7xrqc said:
drrew":1he7xrqc said:
JSeahawks":1he7xrqc said:

Like I said, I think its very low on the spectrum of dirtyness/slimyness. More just hypocritical than anything else, that they dont want their guys to trip somewhere else but they have no problem bringing in guys that are commited somewhere else. It doesnt bother me though, and its not like i'm upset about it. Anything goes in recruiting and i'm sure the Ducks do slimy, dirty stuff too. I know under Chip Kelly they had that same rule about commited players visiting other places.

Not sure what your definition of hypocrisy is but by all current definitions that does not apply. It would be hypocrisy if UW continued to shop his position while the player was not allowed to, but that is NOT the policy. In fact, the policy sounds very fair to the recruit and protects them from being dumped for a higher rated recruit.

davidonmi

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3encdj6j said:
davidonmi":3encdj6j said:

So, what, Helton was threatening to deport his family if he didnt commit to USC? I cant imagine how immigration status would play into recruiting... (not saying that you're wrong, just cant figure out how it would factor in).

Honestly, recruiting is just a slimy, slimy business and nothing would really surprise me, and no schools are above it. Even Coach Petersen at UW, who i'll admit probably is not as slimey as most. UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.
that's not exactly it.
as roof says, haphazardly. citizenship through canada

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3321025/57e ... 7a98b0fb77

sondevil89

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3m9rm2wa said:
Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

3-star at Rivals and 247. Runs a 4.8 40, pretty slow for "athlete" designation. Doesn't look like anyone else offered him.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/37045

http://247sports.com/Player/Cyrus-Habibi-Likio-89288

cesame

Reaction score
JSeahawks":xn546fdz said:

Puts them at 5 4-star recruits with Oregon expecting to get their 6th 4 star recruit tomorrow (Judson)

Going to be a good end to the recruiting cycle.

Latest posts