The 2017 recruiting thread.

chet380

Reaction score
As I am not an alumnus of an American university, I am not very heavily invested in US college football -- however, I do enjoy following Udub athletics.

As to the football team in the recent past, it seemed that they were always getting beaten in the 4th quarter by the opposing team scoring on long pass plays -- what are the prospects for an improved pass defense in the coming season?

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2zamqa5h said:
Also a lot of smoke that qb commit Ryan Kelley is decommiting from the ducks.

I assume UCLA is pushing hard? Tui is a hell of a recruiter.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":uikqs2qu said:
JSeahawks":uikqs2qu said:
Also a lot of smoke that qb commit Ryan Kelley is decommiting from the ducks.

I assume UCLA is pushing hard? Tui is a hell of a recruiter.

Havnt heard anything specific, but my guess is that Arizona state might be the player, long term girlfriend in Arizona. As they say, in recruiting pussy is undefeated.

There's also a theory from someone who's had inside info in the past that oregon is pushing him away. He commited to Scott frost who is no longer here. Lubick and yost might want to get their own guy. If that's the case they better have somebody pretty good in the bag, because I like Kelley a lot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":mcwhecnb said:
I'm jealous of Michigan fans. And feel sorry for 49ers fans.

Just wait until Pete retires and Harbs takes over the Seahawks and wins a couple of Superb Owl's here.

:stirthepot:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
5-star QB Tate Martell de-committed from TAMU .. USC and Ohio State are believed to be the front runners for him. Martell was actually a "commit" to USC when he was 14.

Martell has drawn a ton of comparisons to Johnny Manziel, for his play though not for his behavior.

As an aside TAMU is losing a lot of big name recruits .. Sumlin and co must be complete a-holes to send this much top level talent at QB running for the hills

drrew

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2lgdb6z4 said:
Martell was actually a "commit" to USC when he was 14.

Not USC, he was a UW commit at 14.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
drrew":2e2lqdb9 said:
Hasselbeck":2e2lqdb9 said:
Martell was actually a "commit" to USC when he was 14.

Not USC, he was a UW commit at 14.

Yep. You're right. Confused Martell with a kid Kiffin recruited.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2vrung6d said:
5-star QB Tate Martell de-committed from TAMU .. USC and Ohio State are believed to be the front runners for him. Martell was actually a "commit" to USC when he was 14.

Martell has drawn a ton of comparisons to Johnny Manziel, for his play though not for his behavior.

As an aside TAMU is losing a lot of big name recruits .. Sumlin and co must be complete a-holes to send this much top level talent at QB running for the hills

I've heard that Cal is the favorite right now. The Texas a&m offensive coordinator that martell commited to is now the oc at cal.

kearly

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was a two star recruit despite being a dominant High School QB with elite athleticism. Martell is a five star recruit who is the same height as Russell Wilson. Maybe Martell keeps growing but that's pretty weird that a 5'10.5" QB would be a five star.

Manziel was 6'0", and was a three star.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":31nlk852 said:
Russell Wilson was a two star recruit despite being a dominant High School QB with elite athleticism. Martell is a five star recruit who is the same height as Russell Wilson. Maybe Martell keeps growing but that's pretty weird that a 5'10.5" QB would be a five star.

Not only is he 5'10, but he has like 8" hands. But he can spin it, there's no doubt.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":3rwlg71t said:

Probably has a lot to do with exposure and hype. I don't know how big of a school Wilson went to, or what type of exposure their program got, but martell goes to Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas which is probably the best football program in the west, and currently the number 1 team in the country. Plus, kind of like a lebron James he's been a nationally known name since he was in middle school.

Dudes got real talent though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2ssh20ft said:

As J alluded to, Bishop Gorman has a lot to do with it. That HS is very revered amongst all the recruiting rankings.

I think naturally when he committed to TAMU, that people saw a small white QB who could run around and make plays with his feet and his arm and immediately went "Manziel!" .. he's even said that he wants to pattern his game after Russ though.

I would love him at USC, just don't know if the offense best suits his attributes. I think he'd be a monster at Ohio State or somewhere that runs a lot of spread.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
All I hope is that Martell does not go to Oregon, that would be a nightmare pairing for the rest of the Pac 12.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2z24z5l4 said:
All I hope is that Martell does not go to Oregon, that would be a nightmare pairing for the rest of the Pac 12.

Martell has been campaigning for a UO offer and for whatever reason the coaches don't seem interested. It's baffling and infuriating. Some people seem to think his family wants him to be promised the starting spot. some seem to think he has a giant ego and may not fit the culture. I say screw it and offer the kid!

Especially since his teammate, 5 star receiver, Tyjon Lindsey wants to be a package deal and already has oregon as one if his finalists.

kearly

Reaction score
Martell looks pretty good, but I don't think he's better than Russell Wilson or Johnny Football were. It's fascinating to think that attending a certain high school could explain the ranking discrepancy.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":190uenyb said:
Martell looks pretty good, but I don't think he's better than Russell Wilson or Johnny Football were. It's fascinating to think that attending a certain high school could explain the ranking discrepancy.

This is just a guess but Russell Wilson was also probably to busy playing baseball to participate in all of the camp circuits which is another big factor in the rankings.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2tyv1y8f said:

The other thing about Martell, is he his already older than our RS Fr qb. So he's not likely to get any taller, or his hands to magically get bigger and stronger.