OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
JSeahawks":15qo8oz3 said:
drrew":15qo8oz3 said:
JSeahawks":15qo8oz3 said:
Also a lot of smoke that qb commit Ryan Kelley is decommiting from the ducks.

I assume UCLA is pushing hard? Tui is a hell of a recruiter.

Havnt heard anything specific, but my guess is that Arizona state might be the player, long term girlfriend in Arizona. As they say, in recruiting pussy is undefeated.

There's also a theory from someone who's had inside info in the past that oregon is pushing him away. He commited to Scott frost who is no longer here. Lubick and yost might want to get their own guy. If that's the case they better have somebody pretty good in the bag, because I like Kelley a lot.

As expected, he commited to ASU today. Girlfriends always win recruiting battles.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3796pwae said:
kearly":3796pwae said:
Martell looks pretty good, but I don't think he's better than Russell Wilson or Johnny Football were. It's fascinating to think that attending a certain high school could explain the ranking discrepancy.

This is just a guess but Russell Wilson was also probably to busy playing baseball to participate in all of the camp circuits which is another big factor in the rankings.

Manziel and Wilson should have been 5 star high school QBs all along, but never were due to the flaws in the evaluation methods of these ranking agencies. It might be that their college success caused a rethinking of how to rank short QBs, which Martell benefited from.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2r91rp25 said:
JSeahawks":2r91rp25 said:
kearly":2r91rp25 said:
Martell looks pretty good, but I don't think he's better than Russell Wilson or Johnny Football were. It's fascinating to think that attending a certain high school could explain the ranking discrepancy.

This is just a guess but Russell Wilson was also probably to busy playing baseball to participate in all of the camp circuits which is another big factor in the rankings.

Manziel and Wilson should have been 5 star high school QBs all along, but never were due to the flaws in the evaluation methods of these ranking agencies. It might be that their college success caused a rethinking of how to rank short QBs, which Martell benefited from.

No, there have been short 5* qbs before. Tate Forcier comes to mind

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uw got a commitment from a junior college punter today.
An Australian dude (I hate Australian style punters).

He'll come in as a sophomore and has already used his redshirt, so he's a 3 years to play 3 dude.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":1qzox5b1 said:
There have been short 5* qbs before. Tate Forcier comes to mind

I sense there may be some truth to what you are saying, though technically Forcier is listed at 6'0" and was a four star recruit, so there are probably better examples of it.

JSeahawks":1qzox5b1 said:
Uw got a commitment from a junior college punter today.
An Australian dude (I hate Australian style punters).

He'll come in as a sophomore and has already used his redshirt, so he's a 3 years to play 3 dude.

I hope he is a rugby style kicker. UW has faced a few good ones over the years and they were extremely annoying to go against.

kearly

Reaction score
For the most part, I think recruiting star rankings are overblown. College success is far more about development and schemes than recruiting hyped high school players. Looking at the Pac-12 for example, Stanford and Oregon always finish higher in the actual football rankings at the end of each year than they do in the recruiting rankings, while USC and UCLA are the opposite.

Does this mean that USC and UCLA are more talented than Oregon or Stanford? Perhaps they are more talented in terms of how those players did when in high school, but being good in high school and being good in college are two very different things. It's the same thing in the NFL. If we simply looked at how good each NFL teams players were in college, then the Cleveland Browns would be a dynasty.

This is why coaching is so huge. You put Nick Saban at Oregon State or Colorado and he'd be threatening 10+ wins by year two if not sooner. Urban Meyer hit the ground sprinting at each of his coaching stops, and so has Jim Harbaugh. They didn't need to recruit top five recruiting classes and wait 4 years first.

I don't think Chris Petersen is in the same league as those guys. I think Petersen is borderline tier one, alongside guys like Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles and Gary Patterson. But what I do like about Peterson that reminds a little of Pete Carroll is that he doesn't care where other people rank his prospects because he believes he can mold them into good players. Even with the Huskies on the rise, Petersen is still courting a lot of 3 star players. Sark was more about recruiting big name guys and hoping for the best. Petersen seems to be more about targeting his kind of players and coaching them up.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1hpw2zgp said:
Ducks landed a JC olinemen from California. John Vaca. Looks athletic and mean. I believe he has 3 years of eligibility left.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5412095/hig ... /316289378

Did UO suddenly start letting Cable offer OL? The kid had never played OL, and started out the season as a DL, before moving to TE then to Tackle. All in one season. He's raw, but has athleticism and likes contact.

drrew

Reaction score
kearly":1r7v3owo said:
I hope he is a rugby style kicker. UW has faced a few good ones over the years and they were extremely annoying to go against.

He does have a rugby background as opposed to most of the guys who've come out of Australian rules football.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":17qxtw05 said:
West linn 3 star olinemen Alex Forsyth is a duck. Washington was his other finalist, but in all reality he was never going to be anything but a duck. (Just as ariel ngata had Oregon as a finalist but was always going to be a dawg).

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4061292/hig ... /319437465

To be fair his dad was a huge duck fan, and was killed at the Clackamas town center shooting. Part of the reason he was always going to be a duck, was to respect his dad's memory. Helfrich would have had to royally screw up his recruitment to not land him.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1iyzjvws said:
5-star QB Tate Martell de-committed from TAMU .. USC and Ohio State are believed to be the front runners for him. Martell was actually a "commit" to USC when he was 14.

Martell has drawn a ton of comparisons to Johnny Manziel, for his play though not for his behavior.

As an aside TAMU is losing a lot of big name recruits .. Sumlin and co must be complete a-holes to send this much top level talent at QB running for the hills

Commited to Ohio State today.

For a 5 star QB its amazing how many people didnt want him. Oregon didnt want him. USC didnt want him.

purpleneer

Reaction score
kearly":3khjqbq5 said:
For the most part, I think recruiting star rankings are overblown. College success is far more about development and schemes than recruiting hyped high school players. Looking at the Pac-12 for example, Stanford and Oregon always finish higher in the actual football rankings at the end of each year than they do in the recruiting rankings, while USC and UCLA are the opposite.

Does this mean that USC and UCLA are more talented than Oregon or Stanford? Perhaps they are more talented in terms of how those players did when in high school, but being good in high school and being good in college are two very different things. It's the same thing in the NFL. If we simply looked at how good each NFL teams players were in college, then the Cleveland Browns would be a dynasty.

This is why coaching is so huge. You put Nick Saban at Oregon State or Colorado and he'd be threatening 10+ wins by year two if not sooner. Urban Meyer hit the ground sprinting at each of his coaching stops, and so has Jim Harbaugh. They didn't need to recruit top five recruiting classes and wait 4 years first.

I don't think Chris Petersen is in the same league as those guys. I think Petersen is borderline tier one, alongside guys like Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles and Gary Patterson. But what I do like about Peterson that reminds a little of Pete Carroll is that he doesn't care where other people rank his prospects because he believes he can mold them into good players. Even with the Huskies on the rise, Petersen is still courting a lot of 3 star players. Sark was more about recruiting big name guys and hoping for the best. Petersen seems to be more about targeting his kind of players and coaching them up.
I'm generally in agreement with all this, except going as far as Saban getting OSU or Colorado that good that quick. Some folks might overrate the value of natural talent and the differences between some programs, but those 2 (especially OSU) are way too far behind to make that kind of jump no matter who becomes their coach. Coaching development alone doesn't come close to explaining the strong connection of NFL draftees and good players to top recruiting schools. And while Saban has developed as a coach since his mediocre start at Michigan State, most of the difference is built on hype and status adding to the ease of getting the best players to LSU and Alabama. MSU was in a far better situation on his arrival than OSU or CU is now.
I'd say the bigger reasons for differences in program success relative to recruiting rankings are all the reasons for evaluation misses. Namely, it's predicting future performance with nowhere near a controlled environment or even playing field.