The 2019 Recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":1gaj66kc said:
drrew":1gaj66kc said:
McCoy has now officially signed papers with Texas.

Both Ford and Nacua are actively looking around.

What a cluster for USC.

I'd love to see USC hit Texas with a tampering charge. That being sad, sounds like this could only be the start for USC. Rumors of a lot more guys leaving, including possibly their freshman starting quarterback.

And Alabama last year with Ale Kaho but, not gonna happen.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
And rumors are strong that Ford is going to be a Duck.

Also seems the desire in Troy for a different style of offense is strong, KK went to the Cardinals, so now the rumors are that Graham Harrell may be the new OC.

D

DomeHawk

Anajimmc":1r5irbcv said:

Also seems the desire in Troy for a different style of offense is strong, KK went to the Cardinals, so now the rumors are that Graham Harrell may be the new OC.

That would be a huge mistake for Ford, the ducks have nobody at QB after next year.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1ajl1o6g said:
Anajimmc":1ajl1o6g said:

That would be a huge mistake for Ford, the ducks have nobody at QB after next year.

Since youre an expert on Oregon's backup and future qb situation, can you give me an analysis on the strengths and weaknesses of Tyler Shough and Cale Millen? Thanks in advance.

For what its worth, I keep reading from USC and UCLA mods that Ford is likely coming to Oregon, but Oregon's mods arent all that confident.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3mycx1bl said:
DomeHawk":3mycx1bl said:
Anajimmc":3mycx1bl said:

Since youre an expert on Oregon's backup and future qb situation, can you give me an analysis on the strengths and weaknesses of Tyler Shough and Cale Millen? Thanks in advance.

Who are you trying to kid J?

Yes, they are not highly regarded recruits unlike UW's who were.

UW and USC have better better opportunities at QB for the next few years.

That is not just my opinion but a universal opinion among those in the know.

Quit being such a homer, I would have held this opinion regardless of my affiliation.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1t3alko7 said:
JSeahawks":1t3alko7 said:
DomeHawk":1t3alko7 said:
Anajimmc":1t3alko7 said:

Quit being such a homer, I would have held this opinion regardless of my affiliation.

Shough was the 7th ranked pro style QB in his class, Jacob Sirmon was 6th. Yankoff was the 6th ranked duel thread. They're virtually all identical prospects and all have not proven anything.

Millen outplayed Dylan Morris this year by virtually every metric, included being named on all state teams ahead of him. Morris wasnt even all league. They are literally right next to each other in 247's rankings. Morris is ranked 250th, Millen 251st.

This year we have Herbert who's likely a first round pick, you have Eason who is likely a first round pick.

UW is not that far ahead of Oregon at Qb (If they are at all).

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3lvnkki6 said:
DomeHawk":3lvnkki6 said:
JSeahawks":3lvnkki6 said:
DomeHawk":3lvnkki6 said:

Shough was the 7th ranked pro style QB in his class, Jacob Sirmon was 6th. Yankoff was the 6th ranked duel thread. They're virtually all identical prospects and all have not proven anything.

Millen outplayed Dylan Morris this year by virtually every metric, included being named on all state teams ahead of him. Morris wasnt even all league. They are literally right next to each other in 247's rankings.

This year we have Herbert who's likely a first round pick, you have Eason who is likely a first round pick.

UW is not that far ahead of Oregon at Qb (If they are at all).

Tyler is completely overrated, has terrible mechanics, will never be anything.

Millen is a 3-star that UW had absolutley no interest in.

And , after those two highly rated QB's UW has the #1 QB recruit coming in.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sounds like the huskies are positioned for a pretty strong finish. I think they land Heimuli at linebacker. Sounds like Asa Turner isback favoring the huskies after flirting with Notre Dame. Have a good shot at Puke Nacua. And I’ve heard some rumors that near 5 star linebacker Henry to’oo’to May be leaning towards UW over Alabama.

Oregon is going to finish with their best class ever (at least on paper), even if they don’t add anybody else before signing day. I’m not sure what Washington’s best class ever, but I would assume this might be it for them as well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
What do you attribute the attraction to Washington and Oregon is at the moment? Are they getting players that would typically go to the California schools? SEC getting overcrowded with talent?

Would be nice to see Pac-12 compete at the same level as the Big 10 has recently (before it starts challenging SEC of course)

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":le2xddw4 said:
What do you attribute the attraction to Washington and Oregon is at the moment? Are they getting players that would typically go to the California schools? SEC getting overcrowded with talent?

I think its a combination of things. Part of it is that the two LA schools arent exactly recruiting juggernauts this year. USC is basically a dumpster fire and everyone knows Helton is basically a dead man walking... they'll still get the LA kids who grew up dreaming of playing for USC, but a lot of the LA kids are looking elsewhere more. Chip Kelly, while a good X's and O's guy, isnt out there grinding real hard on the recruiting trail. So both NW schools have taken advantage of that.

Washington is attractive because they've been winning. And obviously Petersen is a great coach that a lot of kids will want to come play for, and their defense has a really good reputation (I personally think UW's defensive class is amazing... but there offensive class kind of sucks.)

I think its pretty remarkable what Oregon is doing. 3 coaches in 3 years, coming off some lackluster seasons and still recruiting in the top 10 nationally. Honestly, i think the Oregon staff just works harder then most. Almost every interview with recruits (even guys that dont end up coming to Oregon), they're asked who's recruiting them the hardest, and Oregon is almost always mentioned. I’m excited to see what kind of class this staff can pull when/if they start winning consistently.

The SEC has actually started coming into Cali a little bit more this cycle, which is kind of concerning. They've been pulling more guys from out west back into the SEC then they normally have. One of many reasons we need to see the pac 12 get stronger overall, to keep those players here on the west coast.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I’d also add that UW seems to have a super strong pull in the Polynesian communities right now. There are a lot of great Poly players and they tend to want to play with other Poly’s. UW is killing it there.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3touwla7 said:
(... but there offensive class kind of sucks.)

The offensive line class is actually really solid, maybe best in the Pac-12, but they've pretty much struck out on most of the skill position targets.

The poly connection right now is kind of insane for UW. Depending on how things end, they could have 20 kids with poly backgrounds from the last two recruiting classes. Outside of Hawaii, that might me more than anyone else in the country.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Ikaika Malloe is killing it. Washington had a strong Poly presence in the 80s/90s. Seems they lost that to Oregon in the 90s and through the 00s.

I think the appeal is in several parts. One, it's relative proximity to the talent pool. Also, Washington has cultivated a strong defensive team identity which appeals to poly recruits that tend to succeed on that side of the ball. They also have Islanders at key/important positions on staff. Additionally, the program exudes the kind of culture that really appeals to Islanders. Trust, Honor and Respect. There is a familial kind of vibe with the program. That Pete is seen as likely not looking for the next big thing is likely a strong contributing factor. That the program is genuinely looking for player well being not program (Ale Kaho situation last year) is a selling point too. There is an intentional emphasis on building a program that appeals to the sensibilities and values that Islanders typically hold and that appeal looks like it exists on many interconnected levels.

I don't think Washington is necessarily unique in that respect. But they are very strong in it. There is a very distinguished sense that these values are genuine with Coach Pete and it resonates.

EDIT: I would expect this advantage to continue and be largely self sustaining if the current environment is maintained. We've seen it whether here, Oregon or as SC -- when Poly kids congregate on a program, they largely remain plugged into that pipeline for years.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":3ajdnuax said:

Would be nice to see Pac-12 compete at the same level as the Big 10 has recently (before it starts challenging SEC of course)

UW is not only winning but sending early round NFL draftees every year, that is huge. USC and UCLA are doing neither of those things. Plus, the coaching stability at USC is very rocky right now and no one is buying into Chip Kelly at the moment.

Oregon is trying to sell something they have no background for. Cristobal has never really won at anything as a coach and Oregon was a couple of lucky breaks away from being a 6-5 team last year. I guess it is partly the Nike national brand that is so connected with Oregon (a part of modern culture), billionaire facilities, and the fact that Cristobal has sold the fact that, especially after this year, Oregon needs everything - so early playing time. But honestly, I can't figure it out, the off-campus environment in Eugene is very foreign to most of these players.

D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":2jwnbfcw said:
Ikaika Malloe is killing it. Washington had a strong Poly presence in the 80s/90s. Seems they lost that to Oregon in the 90s and through the 00s.

I think the appeal is in several parts. One, it's relative proximity to the talent pool. Also, Washington has cultivated a strong defensive team identity which appeals to poly recruits that tend to succeed on that side of the ball. They also have Islanders at key/important positions on staff. Additionally, the program exudes the kind of culture that really appeals to Islanders. Trust, Honor and Respect. There is a familial kind of vibe with the program. That Pete is seen as likely not looking for the next big thing is likely a strong contributing factor. That the program is genuinely looking for player well being not program (Ale Kaho situation last year) is a selling point too. There is an intentional emphasis on building a program that appeals to the sensibilities and values that Islanders typically hold and that appeal looks like it exists on many interconnected levels.

I don't think Washington is necessarily unique in that respect. But they are very strong in it. There is a very distinguished sense that these values are genuine with Coach Pete and it resonates.

EDIT: I would expect this advantage to continue and be largely self sustaining if the current environment is maintained. We've seen it whether here, Oregon or as SC -- when Poly kids congregate on a program, they largely remain plugged into that pipeline for years.

This is a very good post re: UW's philosophy.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3i9uw73r said:
Sounds like the huskies are positioned for a pretty strong finish. I think they land Heimuli at linebacker. Sounds like Asa Turner isback favoring the huskies after flirting with Notre Dame. Have a good shot at Puke Nacua. And I’ve heard some rumors that near 5 star linebacker Henry to’oo’to May be leaning towards UW over Alabama.

Oregon is going to finish with their best class ever (at least on paper), even if they don’t add anybody else before signing day. I’m not sure what Washington’s best class ever, but I would assume this might be it for them as well.

Well, it looks like we got Turner back, if we get the others you mentioned this would be a spectacular class.

D

DomeHawk

The_Z_Man":395zyg7k said:
The 1991 Husky Class with Napolean Kaufman, Damon Huard, Mark Bruener, Ernie Conwell, Steve Hoffmann, et.

Had the equivalent of a dozen 4 and 5 star plays, and of course, Kaufman who many considered the best player in the country (and turned out to be exactly that... he was insanely talented). It was ranked top 5 in the nation by most folks, with one publication saying it was #1 -- don't remember if that was Athlon or not.

Yep, while it was true that DJ did well without highly ranked classes very early in his career here, it is a myth that we never had top recruiting classes.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2013/2/9/39 ... -james-era

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":g7a7zgq0 said:
Dawgs are getting Smalls.

Have you seen him play? For what its worth, a few people on my Ducks site who have seen him play in person think he's extremely overrated. And this is not sour grapes because they think he's going to UW, we actually think we have a really good shot with him. He visited Oregon 3 or 4 times this season.

Btw, when i say they think he's overrated... they do say he's a really good player, just nowhere near the #4 overall player in the country as he is rated.

For those that might not be familiar, tical is talking about Sav'ell Smalls, who's the #1 olb and #4 overall player in next years class. He goes to Garfield High school in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.