The Athletic QB Rankings

Rainger

Reaction score
Lol. Its really not though.
LOL it really is though!

Just like when every media crap pontificator said that the Broncos would destroy the Hawks in SB 48 with their awesome offence, (who played the weakest defenses in the comp).

90% of the east coast media get their talking points from haters on social media, like you.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
When I first read folks saying we should get Jimmy G, I thought they were talking about Jimmy Graham!! LOL!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
the Homerism by some here. :rolleyes: Unless you know some reason a relatively unbiased media type is biased against the Seahawks let me know. and if you see something by a non Seahawks homer that says that one or both of these QBs isn’t trash please post it.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Geno is awesome but never got the chance due to “you know why” and Wilson sucks but was given opportunities ahead of poor Geno for obvious reasons. Geno will lead us to the promised land and Wilson will cause Denver to give us the #1 overall pick.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Geno scored a 73.4 on PFF for his 2021 season, similar to JimmyG at 74.9. Frankly, if Geno can play a whole season at similar prowess as his 2021, we are A OK.

Geno: 2021 - 3.5 games - 95 attempts , 702 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT, 73.4 PFF
Geno: 2022 - 17 games - 461 attempts, 3409 yards, 24 TDS, 5 INT.

Jimmy: 2021 - ?? games - 441 attempts, 3806 yards, 20 TDs, 12 INT.

Plus, our running game ought to be better than 2021, if we could play at same level as the last 5 games of 2021. Of course, can Geno last 17 games? Can our OC counter with plays once the opposing DCs had the opportunity to study Geno?

Geno played 3.5 games in 2021, he keep us in with the Rams, won the Jacksonville game, could have won one more game if the kicker didn't miss TWO field goals.

OK you can call me a homer, dreamers, but hey, I am positive about our 2022 season.
One stat you forgot to figure in was that Geno was 1-2 as a starter, so project that over 17 games and it's 5 or 6 wins.

Geno played 13 quarters, a virtual snap shot, was 1-2 as a starter with his one win coming against the worst team in the league which, on such a small sample size, tended to skew those stats. Without two experienced OT's, he's going to have a lot more pressure to deal with this season, and his career TD:INT ratio is 34:37. To be fair, most of those INT's were quite some time ago, so maybe he's improved his decision making since then. But when you put a QB under pressure, they tend to revert to their old habits.

Our strengths seems to be at running back, wide receiver, and tight end, but our weakness, outside of the QB position, is the offensive line. We could end up starting two rookie OT's, both out of Mike Leach's Air Raid offense and haven't played much with their hand in the dirt, and we will likely start 4 OL's with 15 starts between them. There's going to be a learning curve until those guys gel.

While I would love to join you in your optimism and appreciate your enthusiasm, I have to be realist about this season. I hate it when I anticipate a good season then get let down when my team does a face plant.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Placing all the blame for those two losses on Geno is an inaccurate view IMO. He played well in all those games, but our defense and our O-Line did not hold up it's end of that bargain to support QB play.
Same could happen this year, but I'm betting our newbies will step up the rookie pace to become valuable contributors, and that our team speed will be a difference maker.

toffee

Reaction score
One stat you forgot to figure in was that Geno was 1-2 as a starter, so project that over 17 games and it's 5 or 6 wins.

Geno played 13 quarters, a virtual snap shot, was 1-2 as a starter with his one win coming against the worst team in the league which, on such a small sample size, tended to skew those stats. Without two experienced OT's, he's going to have a lot more pressure to deal with this season, and his career TD:INT ratio is 34:37. To be fair, most of those INT's were quite some time ago, so maybe he's improved his decision making since then. But when you put a QB under pressure, they tend to revert to their old habits.

Our strengths seems to be at running back, wide receiver, and tight end, but our weakness, outside of the QB position, is the offensive line. We could end up starting two rookie OT's, both out of Mike Leach's Air Raid offense and haven't played much with their hand in the dirt, and we will likely start 4 OL's with 15 starts between them. There's going to be a learning curve until those guys gel.

While I would love to join you in your optimism and appreciate your enthusiasm, I have to be realist about this season. I hate it when I anticipate a good season then get let down when my team does a face plant.
One of those two loses, our kicker missed two field goals, and we lost by 3 points.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

So you believe that Smith came off the dusty bench, hitting on all 8 cylinder's?
I'm not buying the pessimistic notion that his play will be a lateral performance like so many here WANT to believe.
He's been putting in a lot of hard work this off-season with a Quarterbacks Coach, not sitting on his a$$.
I think there are too many here believing that he will perform down to the prognostications of that goofy article.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
One of those two loses, our kicker missed two field goals, and we lost by 3 points.
To quote Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

There's a lot of QB's out there that lost games because their kicker missed a FG in a 3 point game. Should we go back and credit all of them with a win?

I did some research awhile back, and I discovered that backup quarterbacks in the NFL win about 34% of their starts, which is almost exactly how Geno performed in his role last year. He's an adequate backup that may rise to the occasion, win the starting job, and have a good season that would change people's impression of him.

But until that happens, he's considered a backup quarterback and not starting material, which is why Sando put him in his own tier.

RiverDog

Reaction score
So you believe that Smith came off the dusty bench, hitting on all 8 cylinder's?
I'm not buying the pessimistic notion that his play will be a lateral performance like so many here WANT to believe.
He's been putting in a lot of hard work this off-season with a Quarterbacks Coach, not sitting on his a$$.
I think there are too many here believing that he will perform down to the prognostications of that goofy article.
I am not making any predictions as to how Geno will perform, assuming he wins the starting job. All I am saying is that Sando used good, sound reasoning for ranking him like he did. And let's not forget who he used as his resources for creating this ranking: 50 NFL coaches, including 8 HC's, 12 coordinators, and 6 QB coaches, along with team GM's, evaluators, and execs. He didn't come up with it by polling a bunch of armchair quarterbacks.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
the Homerism by some here. :rolleyes: Unless you know some reason a relatively unbiased media type is biased against the Seahawks let me know. and if you see something by a non Seahawks homer that says that one or both of these QBs isn’t trash please post it.
I'd also like it if either of these guys played well above what is expected.

These dudes are castoffs for a reason. It's going to be a miracle if Lock does any better than "dude who looks good sometimes but totally craps the bed and loses games other times".

W

Welshers

it's ok to admit neither of these dudes are good. We will still be pulling for them either way. Personally I'd like to see us bring someone else in because what I've seen they are probably truly are bottom tier QBs.

toffee

Reaction score
To quote Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

There's a lot of QB's out there that lost games because their kicker missed a FG in a 3 point game. Should we go back and credit all of them with a win?

I did some research awhile back, and I discovered that backup quarterbacks in the NFL win about 34% of their starts, which is almost exactly how Geno performed in his role last year. He's an adequate backup that may rise to the occasion, win the starting job, and have a good season that would change people's impression of him.

But until that happens, he's considered a backup quarterback and not starting material, which is why Sando put him in his own tier.
We have to agree to disagree then, but soon enough we will all get our answers. If Pete and John would have a choice, they should prefer that Lock turn the corner, not Geno. Lock is young by half a decade.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We have to agree to disagree then, but soon enough we will all get our answers. If Pete and John would have a choice, they should prefer that Lock turn the corner, not Geno. Lock is young by half a decade.
Agreed.

And to your statement about Lock vs. Geno, I think that because of what you noted, ie the age difference, and that we already know what Geno can do, at least more so than we do Lock, that they may favor Lock and start him over Geno even if he doesn't look quite as good as Geno just so they can find out if they have something or not. Geno is, at best, a bridge between this season and our QBOTF. There's at least a chance that Lock is that QBOTF.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
OK.
Daniel Jeremiah and Matt (Money) Smith, Charger radio guys.
With ~2 minutes left Week 17(LA), Jeremiah said, "Lock played a solid game".
and Matt Smith agreed.
It was a blowout Charger win. Special teams influenced most.
Jeremiah may be "biased", because he liked Lock predraft. amd he wants to protect his initial 'opinion'.

Last edited:

Latest posts