The Blair Walsh Project??

Popeyejones

Reaction score
12thbrah":39nqt5in said:
Best veteran kicker available.

I think you've got an incredibly uphill battle arguing that Walsh was a better kicker available than Phil Dawson.

Was Walsh the best kicker available for a million or less? Maybe, but a guy who got cut midway through the season and replaced with a guy off the street definitely wasn't the best kicker available.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Everytime Hauschka kicked the ball last season, I was nervous. Looks like it might be some of the same this year with Walsh.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm nervous about the kicking position too. Guess we will have another year of stress before every extra point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let's wait and watch on Walsh. He has a very very strong leg and has been accurate in the past. I think getting over 'kicker's yips' is tough and it only happens with time and support. I doubt however that he gets as many kicks blocked as Hauschka did b/c the trajectory on his kicks is higher. Will he prove to be the guy? I don't know yet.

If he can't gain some consistency we will see a couple of other camp bodies in for competition purposes and he could get replaced if he isn't getting better.

Rat

Reaction score
I like Walsh a lot, but I'm very surprised we havn't brought in anyone to push him.

Remember though, we didn't get Hauschka until the Ravens cut him after preseason. We were this close to running with Jeff Reed. If Walsh struggles, they could go that avenue again (preseason cut, not Jeff Reed).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree.

The team seems to prefer experienced kickers but look at younger players where they think the player might have something special.

I'd expect to see precisely what you suggest if they are going to change but bringing a young camp leg may also happen.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2y1xhroq said:
Let's wait and watch on Walsh. He has a very very strong leg and has been accurate in the past. I think getting over 'kicker's yips' is tough and it only happens with time and support. I doubt however that he gets as many kicks blocked as Hauschka did b/c the trajectory on his kicks is higher. Will he prove to be the guy? I don't know yet.

If he can't gain some consistency we will see a couple of other camp bodies in for competition purposes and he could get replaced if he isn't getting better.
Exactly; there's undoubtedly a lot more tires gonna get kicked before the regular Season gets here
Oh and, my jab about "sniveling" was made in jest....I've gotten my fair share of ribbings here on the main forum, I'm not letting them derail my humor, I didn't think that I was pissing anyone off, but if I did, please don't take it to heart folks...Life's too short. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
How are people feeling about Walsh at this point?

This guy scares me to be honest. He seems like money at times, then suddenly turns to accident waiting to happen others. NBC wasn't very nice to him showing all those practice misses either. That was weird.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I like Walsh. Hey, you bring in a head case on a gamble, you're not going to win every bet. His numbers so far are par for the course, so I'm happy.

But I'm glad he got that crap out of his system (hoping) against the Colts. I also like the fact that he went out as soon as possible at the half to get reps. Shows he cares.

If you watched the Patriots you would have seen even the golden boy Gostkowski struggled. He hit one FG and one XP by banking them off the upright, which a win is a win, but still. He's a little shaky too IMO.

We don't have Bailey, so we gotta focus on setting up Blair for success. As long as we keep him away from negative forty degree games with a FG for the win, I'm confident. I would also like to see him set up on the right hash as much as humanly possible. And Ms. Tafoya better shut her freaking pie hole the next time our kicker is lining up a FG. Jinxed the hell out him!

rcaido

Reaction score
yup that was an intentional jinx! Tafoya got paid just like a couple of those zebras! We still won!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How many kicks has he missed? 2 (FG and extra point)?

Not terrible

Hawks46

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2rfjibxr said:
How many kicks has he missed? 2 (FG and extra point)?

Not terrible

Exactly. Could be worse.

If he has his head in it and remains durable, it will be a good hire. He was one of the better kickers in the league before he lost his mindset.

He's similar to Olindo Mare. Smaller guy but gets tremendous leg swing and speed. This might cause him to slip a bit on messy fields but it also is better for accuracy. Kickers that rely on leg strength fade both during the game and later in their careers.

uncle fester

Reaction score
So according to Michelle Tafoya, he missed 6 kicks in practice prior to the in-game miss, and there was mention of 4 more somewhere that day (only seen the game once but it was mentioned in some capacity)

That should at least give the coaches pause for concern, surely?

(In this house, at least, there's a lot of wincing prior to XPs & FGs)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
uncle fester":2eywsgx9 said:
So according to Michelle Tafoya, he missed 6 kicks in practice prior to the in-game miss, and there was mention of 4 more somewhere that day (only seen the game once but it was mentioned in some capacity)

Again... he's missed two kicks all year.

Also, the 6 misses were at halftime. All trying to correct the miss in the one side of the field. Could've been wind he was trying to adjust to

I just don't see the issue here. (Yet)

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19qn2nkd said:
uncle fester":19qn2nkd said:

Again... he's missed two kicks all year.

Also, the 6 misses were at halftime. All trying to correct the miss in the one side of the field. Could've been wind he was trying to adjust to

I just don't see the issue here. (Yet)

You have $10,000 riding on the SB game winning 45 yard kick. You can choose Hauschka or Walsh. Who you taking?

Also, Carson should have come out right uncle? :twisted:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
That's not a choice.

Blair Walsh signed for just $1.1 million. Hauschka signed elsewhere for 3 years, $8.85 million.

Hauschka missed 6 PATs last year. It happens.

Walsh has missed ONE PAT and ONE FG.

Hauschka is likely better than Walsh, but Walsh is decent. He is the least of our concerns, right now:

1. The overall lack of talent on the offensive line. Tobin, Odhiambo, Aboushi, etc.

2. Rudimentary offensive play calling.

3. Injuries.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2enfmz9z said:
That's not a choice.

Blair Walsh signed for just $1.1 million. Hauschka signed elsewhere for 3 years, $8.85 million.

Hauschka is likely better than Walsh, but Walsh is decent. He is the least of our concerns, right now:

1. The overall lack of talent on the offensive line. Tobin, Odhiambo, Aboushi, etc.

3. Injuries.

Duh. It is called a hypothetical, and it wasn't asked to you. :roll:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":141vdt8w said:
hawknation2017":141vdt8w said:
That's not a choice.

3. Injuries.

Duh. It is called a hypothetical, and it was asked to you. :roll:

Hypotheticals are generally intended to demonstrate some point.

So what are you trying to prove?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2p3f7kfj said:
Seymour":2p3f7kfj said:
hawknation2017":2p3f7kfj said:
That's not a choice.

3. Injuries.

Duh. It is called a hypothetical, and it was asked to you. :roll:

Hypotheticals are generally intended to demonstrate some point.

So what are you trying to prove?

That your name is not Uncle Si.