The Ethan Pocic Transformation

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":3tz2bin5 said:
Patience Grasshopper

Ethan Pocic with 11 starts at age 22 coming off his first year.

Battle hardened Justin Britt with 63 starts at age 26 going into his fifth season in the system.

This is going to be a year of visible progress and encouragement. :2thumbs:

LMAO....too bad "Master" is blind as a bat!! :lol: :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
purpleneer":efjvrryw said:
Sgt. Largent":efjvrryw said:
purpleneer":efjvrryw said:
I guess I'm still in the minority. He's the one guy I hope isn't the choice and my least favorite draft pick of recent years.

Worse than McDowell, Prosise or Ifedi?

At least Pocic is on the field and playing sorta kinda well..............these stiffs either didn't even play, barely played or we wished they weren't playing.
The only one close is McDowell, and he was at least a swing for the fences. It was a risk that didn't pay off, but not like it was really beyond the risk continually made in guys like Big Ben and Gronk, who have been as reckless at ages when their maturity should be much stronger.

idk, in a draft that was bereft of above average O-line talent after the first round, not sure what direction you wanted us to go if you didn't like the Pocic pick.

He's high motor, high character, versatile (guard/center) and can be a good lineman for 10 years.

Especially on team DESPERATE for O-line stability and depth, I'm fine with Pocic.........especially if we're talking "least favorite pick of recent years."

McDowell's a major bust, Ifedi's terrible 60% of the time and Prosise trips over his own shadow and ends up on the IR.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I don't understand not liking the Pocic pick, I don't think he was a reach and played at a pretty decent level for a rookie that needed to bulk up. He was technique-wise the most polished lineman in the country coming out of LSU, which meant he regularly played against great competition, and allowed a ridiculously low number of sacks and QB pressures across three different positions IIRC.

I think he could be one of our most reliable and safest o-line picks since Okung.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":36kjq4qn said:
I don't understand not liking the Pocic pick, I don't think he was a reach and played at a pretty decent level for a rookie that needed to bulk up. He was technique-wise the most polished lineman in the country coming out of LSU, which meant he regularly played against great competition, and allowed a ridiculously low number of sacks and QB pressures across three different positions IIRC.

I think he could be one of our most reliable and safest o-line picks since Okung.

Not saying much since he and Britt are the only O-line picks since Okung that haven't flat out stunk...........but I agree. I like me some Pocic, I think with a Solari style run blocking scheme he's going to be just fine, maybe even great.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I think another year with better coaching will really help Pocic, as well as the added weight. At least we all hope so.

It was underrated how bad he was last year. I think we just wanted to believe he was doing better than he was. I know I certainly did, but I was looking at a cutup of negative rushing plays and another of sacks and Pocic was as culpable as anyone on the line. There was a poster here responding to Ifedi criticism who showed some stats indicating Pocic was just as bad. That's why I would've been happy with us taking a guard with our first pick in this draft. I don't think RW has had good pass protecting guards since he's been here and that's hurt us.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1555vgh0 said:

AND. I think that a lot of people here are forgetting that Cable was his Coach last year, I'm hoping that Solari will fix not only Pocic, but a few others that were having struggles getting their shit together under Cable's tutelage.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
We gotta stop "fat shaming" 2nd year lineman trying to gain weight in the off-season. :lol:

I don't even think it would be bad if Pocic didn't start this year. Roos was looking really good at the end of last year. Pocic could be a good swiss army knife/backup center/utility lineman, whom we can just plug in when the inevitable injury occurs.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nt9m12u said:
JGfromtheNW":3nt9m12u said:

Not saying much since he and Britt are the only O-line picks since Okung that haven't flat out stunk...........but I agree. I like me some Pocic, I think with a Solari style run blocking scheme he's going to be just fine, maybe even great.

Oh I totally agree, it's not like we've hit our line picks outta the park or anything. I just think Pocic is probably the "safest" out of all picks in recent years because he was actually a relatively well developed lineman coming outta school vs. the project after project set up to fail under Cable that Hawks fans have become accustomed to. I have no doubt that he'll be functionally stronger over the next couple years and I think he'll end up being a very good player by the time he's up for extension.

purpleneer

Reaction score
adeltaY":3ddgmgej said:
I think another year with better coaching will really help Pocic, as well as the added weight. At least we all hope so.

It was underrated how bad he was last year. I think we just wanted to believe he was doing better than he was. I know I certainly did, but I was looking at a cutup of negative rushing plays and another of sacks and Pocic was as culpable as anyone on the line. There was a poster here responding to Ifedi criticism who showed some stats indicating Pocic was just as bad. That's why I would've been happy with us taking a guard with our first pick in this draft. I don't think RW has had good pass protecting guards since he's been here and that's hurt us.
This, except I'd put him low on the list of how much the coaching change will help.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Relax guys. Granted, it is only one pic but Ethan looks just fine for being 6 months prego.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Seymour":icd63j2e said:
TransGenderHawkFan":icd63j2e said:
SoulfishHawk":icd63j2e said:
Earl is slow? :34853_doh:
If you have never had a joke go over your head; it just happened.

It wasn't a joke. Someone actually said that last year when Earl was rehabbing, and it was stated again sarcastically.

I remember. I was referring to the sarcasm as a joke.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":13gf10ve said:
Relax guys. Granted, it is only one pic but Ethan looks just fine for being 6 months prego.

I heard that he was already in labor with a baby elephant, and that the trunk & ears were already hanging out :p

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Cable took the most technically sound lineman in the draft and managed to make him worse at the end of the year then he was in Pre Season.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bsra6yn9 said:
[

idk, in a draft that was bereft of above average O-line talent after the first round, not sure what direction you wanted us to go if you didn't like the Pocic pick.

He's high motor, high character, versatile (guard/center) and can be a good lineman for 10 years.

Especially on team DESPERATE for O-line stability and depth, I'm fine with Pocic.........especially if we're talking "least favorite pick of recent years."

McDowell's a major bust, Ifedi's terrible 60% of the time and Prosise trips over his own shadow and ends up on the IR.
My plan would have included going into the draft without Cable, but assuming that still wasn't happening yet, I would have preferred one less trade down earlier to take Cam Robinson at 34. Either way, I'd probably have gone with Jordan Willis at 58. The list of OL I liked better than Pocic available there or later includes: Dawkins, Elflein, Feeney, Garcia, 2 Johnsons, Siragusa, and more. I just don't see the quality of football player you do in Pocic and I see issues in Ifedi that are far more fixable.

mikeak

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3j2nvsv1 said:

I think the issue that most people had was picking a center for an O-line that ONE player that didn’t need to be replaced.....

So it was more a dislike in picking a backup for Britt vs picking a starter for the rest of the O-line

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":2gs2qpa4 said:
Well Cable took the most technically sound lineman in the draft and managed to make him worse at the end of the year then he was in Pre Season.

Of course. That been his specialty 4+ years running. He ruins good linemen, and takes 3 years to make bottom of 32 on the rest. Good luck Gruden! :mrgreen:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think I remember this right... Dave Wyman quoted Bill Parcells saying that "Chuck Knox is the guy that TOUGH players want to play for!"

And then he said when I think of tough football players, the first name that comes to mind is Ethan Pocic. All he says is "I just want to play football."

I took this to mean that Pocic isn't about fame and money, but just wants to punish and slobberknock people.

He NEEDS to be on the offensive line. I would like to see Duane Brown, DJ Fluker, Justin Britt, Germaine Ifedi, and Ethan Pocic. And then just leave them there! Jesus Jones on a motorcycle! Enough rotating guys that can't even play the position they are starting!

But I believe our running game is going to make huge improvements this year. And it will be because of Solari, Rashaad Penny, a healthy Chris Carson, and a steady offensive line consisting of the aforementioned players. No more Cute Cable Cock and Bull!

AHHH!!! This is going to bug me until we hit 4 yards per carry. I think the frustration stems from seeing things that work year and year out, simple stuff, being replaced by nonsense that even fans can recognize is BS. Ray Roberts couldn't get over how the linemen got worse once they got here Duane Brown's play deteriorated in Cable's "system."

It's okay, I'll survive, thanks to Penny in the 1st :)

ivotuk

Reaction score
. The Parade High School All-American enrolled at LSU a semester early, and it paid off when he played in six games the following fall, starting once.

He got the full-time gig in 2014, lining up nine games at right guard and three more in the pivot.

Pocic received second-team all-conference recognition as a junior, leading the Tigers in knockdowns with 132.5 in just 12 games.

He finished off his career with a first-team All-SEC nod in 2016, as well as multiple second and third-team All-American honors.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eth ... id=2557891

The thing that worries me though, he was 310# at the combine, and the Seahawks list him at 309? My guess, they won't update those weights until training camp starts.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":synkoi4j said:
I think I remember this right... Dave Wyman quoted Bill Parcells saying that "Chuck Knox is the guy that TOUGH players want to play for!"

And then he said when I think of tough football players, the first name that comes to mind is Ethan Pocic. All he says is "I just want to play football."

I took this to mean that Pocic isn't about fame and money, but just wants to punish and slobberknock people.

He NEEDS to be on the offensive line. I would like to see Duane Brown, DJ Fluker, Justin Britt, Germaine Ifedi, and Ethan Pocic. And then just leave them there! Jesus Jones on a motorcycle! Enough rotating guys that can't even play the position they are starting!

But I believe our running game is going to make huge improvements this year. And it will be because of Solari, Rashaad Penny, a healthy Chris Carson, and a steady offensive line consisting of the aforementioned players. No more Cute Cable Cock and Bull!

AHHH!!! This is going to bug me until we hit 4 yards per carry. I think the frustration stems from seeing things that work year and year out, simple stuff, being replaced by nonsense that even fans can recognize is BS. Ray Roberts couldn't get over how the linemen got worse once they got here Duane Brown's play deteriorated in Cable's "system."

It's okay, I'll survive, thanks to Penny in the 1st :)
:2thumbs:

Latest posts