The greatest Seahawk of all time!!!

kidhawk

Reaction score
suppaball":30xdgi10 said:
Eveyone saying Allen forgot to read between the() in the first paragraph. It clearly states ( not counting Nordstam or Allen.). Anyway I agree Pete all the way he is the greatest Seahawk of all time.

Yes, but what's the point of making qualifiers to a statement where he is supposedly trying to eliminate the qualifiers.

He is saying that when talking about the greatest, people always add greatest coach or greatest player qualifiers, but then he goes on to say that he wants to get past that and anoint Pete the greatest SEAHAWK of all time...then he adds his personal qualifier of not Allen or Nordstrom. Seems senseless to me. Why not just say the best Seahawks of all time are:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

and fill in the blanks and let people have at it?

Also, threads are supposed to be discussion points, if you want to start talking greatest of all time, people are going to chime in. I think it's quite a valid discussion. I think Paul Allen is the top of the list and it moves down from there. Personally I would lean towards Nordstrom and Pete being tied for number 2, because they both brought firsts...Nordstrom by getting the Seahawks started in Seattle and Pete by bringing the first Lombardi home.

drdevin

Reaction score
Walt- greatest LT of all time. Largent was one of the best slot recievers but not the best at his position of all time (that would go to J. Rice by a mile).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3odbzvbp said:
Yes, but what's the point of making qualifiers to a statement where he is supposedly trying to eliminate the qualifiers..

He just wanted to exclude all the choices that might have trumped his choice of Carroll.

Name the greatest Mariner of all time, and you can't pick Griffey, Edgar, Felix or Ichiro!....................I think it's Lou.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vo5n6da said:
kidhawk":1vo5n6da said:
Yes, but what's the point of making qualifiers to a statement where he is supposedly trying to eliminate the qualifiers..

He just wanted to exclude all the choices that might have trumped his choice of Carroll.

Name the greatest Mariner of all time, and you can't pick Griffey, Edgar, Felix or Ichiro!....................I think it's Lou.
With all due respect, anything that is subjective and is based upon opinion can have qualifiers as to what is being discussed. If I had wanted to have a post about the greatest owner of all time that would have been a different discussion.

I was referring to people who have been "seahawks" which was about people who have played and worked for the team not who owned it. If you took the time to actually read the whole post and put it into context with what was said, then the exclusion of Nordstrom and Allen was appropriate.

PS I agree Lou did the most for the Mariners IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rainger":zgm0v4gp said:
Sgt. Largent":zgm0v4gp said:
kidhawk":zgm0v4gp said:

With all due respect, anything that is subjective and is based upon opinion can have qualifiers as to what is being discussed. If I had wanted to have a post about the greatest owner of all time that would have been a different discussion.

I was referring to people who have been "seahawks" which was about people who have played and worked for the team not who owned it. If you took the time to actually read the whole post and put it into context with what was said, then the exclusion of Nordstrom and Allen was appropriate.

This was the question you posed twice in your opening post.

OK what single person in the history of the Seahawks has done more than Pete for the team, the city, the region and ultimately you and me the fans?

You can't say this, then say "not Nordstrom or Allen".....because it contradicts your question. So don't blame us for going off the rails with owners when you didn't explain yourself until the 10th post.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fd1mfxi said:
rainger":1fd1mfxi said:
Sgt. Largent":1fd1mfxi said:
kidhawk":1fd1mfxi said:

This was the question you posed twice in your opening post.

OK what single person in the history of the Seahawks has done more than Pete for the team, the city, the region and ultimately you and me the fans?

You can't say this, then say "not Nordstrom or Allen".....because it contradicts your question. So don't blame us for going off the rails with owners when you didn't explain yourself until the 10th post.

Way to Cherry Pick the post. You obviously only read the last sentence of posts. The sentence you refer to comes at the very end of the post whereby it is subject to the first sentence of the post which has already excluded Allen.

Rather than nit pick how about you read the post and comment on the idea that Pete has been the best "seahawk" not including Allen in the discussion.

But I have come to expect this. People seldom actually read what people say and go off on a tangents on most posts.

The Radish

Reaction score
two dog":1td20txx said:
Single greatest Seahawk, Paul Allen for sure.
Single greatest Seahawk PLAYER, gotta be Steve Largent. That's not stated as a fact, just a strongly held opinion.

I'm close on this but think Walter is the greatest player at this time. Largent was great for sure but Walter absolutely dominated his position for many years.

Please note I said "at this time".

There are others upcoming for sure. We all love Russell Wilson but he will have to be a bit more flashy over a few years to make this list honestly. Remember Trent Dilfer won a SuperB owl but never will get a sniff of the HOF cause he was pedestrian at best most of the other times. Russell will need to carry the team on his back now and then and keep his bad stats down to minimum. Do I think that's possible? You bet!

:les:

AVL

Reaction score
Goat conversations should wait until time expires.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hcntj7n said:
kidhawk":3hcntj7n said:

Had to agree with the main basis on this post. Qualifiers are like statistics, you can make them what you want them to be. The numbers dont lie, it is how you manipulate them......

Lou....Ferrigno??? Did not know he played a part in Seattle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is the greatest Seahawk of all time. Paul Allen is the best owner in the NFL, but he doesn't make day-to-day football decisions. And that's a good thing.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
themunn":3v51zu99 said:
Without Jim Mora sucking so bad we would never have had Pete Carroll

I'll go one further and say had we won XL, Allen might have been more patient with Mora/Ruskell and maybe we would have never even sniffed the Carroll/Schneider/Wilson/Sherman/Thomas era.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Paul Allen and it isn't even close. For all the reasons others have mentioned above and for outlasting just about all of the guys I rank behind him on my personal list!

But this Wilson dude... he's moving up that list in a hurry.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tiama and it's not even close, I have yet to see any of the others listed get off the ground.

Seriously, take any given time frame in our history and you can make a arguement for that period. Pete and his vision and JS are what made things work, Paul Allen and Todd Liewiski for going after Pete, Nordstroms for bring the Seahawks to Life, Holmgren for getting us on the Map so to speak. Knox for setting the precedent of our initial trip to the playoffs and love of a good defense. Then we have the players which can be argued till were blue in the face, Largent was better the Rice, he had less support around him and still got open and put up his numbers and didn't have Young and Montana throwing to him, although Zorn and Kreig are not as bad as people try to make them out to be.

two dog

Reaction score
The Radish":3etpdtw7 said:
two dog":3etpdtw7 said:
Single greatest Seahawk, Paul Allen for sure.
Single greatest Seahawk PLAYER, gotta be Steve Largent. That's not stated as a fact, just a strongly held opinion.

I'm close on this but think Walter is the greatest player at this time. Largent was great for sure but Walter absolutely dominated his position for many years.

Please note I said "at this time".

There are others upcoming for sure. We all love Russell Wilson but he will have to be a bit more flashy over a few years to make this list honestly. Remember Trent Dilfer won a SuperB owl but never will get a sniff of the HOF cause he was pedestrian at best most of the other times. Russell will need to carry the team on his back now and then and keep his bad stats down to minimum. Do I think that's possible? You bet!

You make some very good points. Walter was probably the most consistent player that I have ever seen play.
The case could also be made for Cortez Kennedy who was a league best player on some notably inept teams.

Thinking about this though, coach Carroll started from rock bottom and in four years brought home the Lombardi.
That's a pretty compelling argument. Maybe those 1000+ players who came through and didn't stick were as
valuable as any because none of them are still here stinkin' it up.

:les: