The hate i see is unjustified

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3em2c1zx said:
xCalibur":3em2c1zx said:
I think what most here are worried about are not what we have lost. But what we have done to replace them. We have not replaced anyone and we have at least 8 to replace and maybe more to come after losing these 8 players - Rice, Tate, Clemons, Bryant, Maragos, McDonald, Schofield and Giacomini....you cannot blame some for being somewhat concerned. The draft alone cannot replace this many players. I think we all want the same thing, we want another winning season and want to see a little action from the front office towards keeping this team strong. The 8 we lost have lowered our strenght slightly...not many where not really full-time starters anyways...but lets get busy replacing these guys.

Here's how I see the replacements shaking out:

Rice = draft (Harvin has theoretically taken his place as the #1 WR already)
Tate = Baldwin
Clemons = possibly Allen/Mayowa
Maragos = draft an ST/DB role player/backup
McDonald = Hill
Schofield = draft
Giacomini = draft.

So long as we have enough to re-sign Wilson, Sherman and Thomas to long term deals we should be OK. I also think Bennett was a vital player to lock up, and they've done that.

Tate was one of my favourite Seahawks but when they invested so much in the way of cash/picks in Harvin the writing was on the wall. Harvin's durability is a concern, but the upside is off the charts so it's hard to fault the move, for me.

The FO needs to keep finding FA bargains and hitting in the draft as well, and so far they've given us no reason to suggest that they won't.

A draft pick to replace Breno? Somehow I think either Bailey or Bowie is much more qualified to step in. And I'm really understating that. ;)

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":38n9lm2s said:
Here here, yeah I knew we would lose some guys, but we don't seem to be in a rush to replace any of them and that it what concerns me the most.

Rush? The 2nd day of free agency just ended. You are unbelievable.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
We're not exactly losing Hall-of-Famers here, people (honestly, does a repeat depend on Breno and his three flags per game coming back?). You'll be singing a different tune when all this available money goes to Thomas and Sherman.

This FO won us a Super Bowl. Read that sentence again. As far as I'm concerned they have nothing to prove anymore. Just kick back and enjoy the show.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I trust in John and Pete. You build a consistent winner in the NFL by not overspending for mid-range guys and drafting smart. This is all part of the plan.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2r4524mh said:
Hawkspur":2r4524mh said:
xCalibur":2r4524mh said:
I think what most here are worried about are not what we have lost. But what we have done to replace them. We have not replaced anyone and we have at least 8 to replace and maybe more to come after losing these 8 players - Rice, Tate, Clemons, Bryant, Maragos, McDonald, Schofield and Giacomini....you cannot blame some for being somewhat concerned. The draft alone cannot replace this many players. I think we all want the same thing, we want another winning season and want to see a little action from the front office towards keeping this team strong. The 8 we lost have lowered our strenght slightly...not many where not really full-time starters anyways...but lets get busy replacing these guys.

Here's how I see the replacements shaking out:

Rice = draft (Harvin has theoretically taken his place as the #1 WR already)
Tate = Baldwin
Clemons = possibly Allen/Mayowa
Maragos = draft an ST/DB role player/backup
McDonald = Hill
Schofield = draft
Giacomini = draft.

So long as we have enough to re-sign Wilson, Sherman and Thomas to long term deals we should be OK. I also think Bennett was a vital player to lock up, and they've done that.

Tate was one of my favourite Seahawks but when they invested so much in the way of cash/picks in Harvin the writing was on the wall. Harvin's durability is a concern, but the upside is off the charts so it's hard to fault the move, for me.

The FO needs to keep finding FA bargains and hitting in the draft as well, and so far they've given us no reason to suggest that they won't.

A draft pick to replace Breno? Somehow I think either Bailey or Bowie is much more qualified to step in. And I'm really understating that. ;)

I expect a draft pick to take Breno's place as a starter on the line, anyway. I expect Bowie and a rookie to be LG and RT, but I'm not sure who would do which. Bailey could well step in too, but you'd have to think that Carpenter has a LOT to prove in camp to earn his spot back.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
volsunghawk":jx2xtc70 said:
It could be argued that Maragos' replacement is Shead.

Good call. What is he like on special teams?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1x4bwzue said:
volsunghawk":1x4bwzue said:
It could be argued that Maragos' replacement is Shead.

Good call. What is he like on special teams?

Not sure, honestly. I don't remember him being called out for bad plays, so that's something. It's clear, too, that the team is very high on him, as he was the only PS guy who was paid commensurate with being on the active roster.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3l449bdz said:
I think people should be able to say the way they feel which is what this board is for.

There are no mechanisms in place to prevent people from doing that. Of course, with that said, I also think people should be able to state when they feel people are acting in an immature, hyperbolic, short-sighted, and ridiculous manner. Not saying you're doing that, but I think those words could be applied to plenty of posts we've seen in the last few days.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":wpkip430 said:
Here here, yeah I knew we would lose some guys, but we don't seem to be in a rush to replace any of them and that it what concerns me the most.

Oh young Blitzer, after 4 years and a Lombardi you still don't know that the Draft > Free agency

Largent80

Reaction score
Not everyone views/says things the same way, so that is how discussions happen, it is always that way. Telling someone they are being a certain way has no affect except for the person telling the other people how they feel, they "got it off their chest"....So?

TwilightError

Reaction score
Golden, Breno and Red are the concerning ones. But I am sure we will be making moves in FA, just not at the peak of the silly season ie. very first days. There will be affordable quality available when the big fishes have been signed. We have a good core and keeping key guys in is the first priority. It takes a lot of cap, so most important offseason thing is succeeding in the draft. Building through draft means we can get quality players with little cost, not having to pay to dollar for big name FAs. I trust our FO geniuses to make the needed moves, however, I think we really had an exceptional All Star team last season. It is not realistic to have a similar team every year. Pats, Packers etc. quality teams keep the core together, that is often done in expense of depth and a few crowd favourites. It is what we have in front of us too.

Tate is a big loss. Such playmakers are not easy to find. I really hope we can now extend Baldwin.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Do you notice the teams making the most moves at the start of FA year after year?

TJH

Reaction score
It's not so much that I am worried about replacing what we lost, I am worried that for the second straight offseason we neglect one of the leagues worst Olines.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
So, which 7th rounder with limited experience do we want starting at right tackle? Right next to the converted d-tackle at guard, also a 7th rounder...

Largent80

Reaction score
Addressing O-Line in F.A. is NOT the way the Hawks should be thinking. BTW, neither Bowie nor Bailey are rookies anymore, and they gained valuable experience and playing time last year.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I would like to know who's been signed so far that everyone is so butthurt about missing out on? I'm the biggest Tate fan and sad to see him go but he wasn't worth that kind of money to this team. Exactly which other free agents are off the market that we were hoping to land?

seems like breno leaving was the straw that broke the .nets back. Really? An average tackle?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Its the 3rd day of FA people. You let the desperate teams feed on the initial frenzy. The smart ones wait until all of this dies down and gets great value on the remaining guys

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong about a "fan" reacting emotionally to a favored playing leaving. Obviously at some point reason takes over. It's no big.

I think the Breno signing has more impact because of the obvious o-line issues. I think it takes some serious blue and lime green colored glasses to see losing him as an improvement in the short term (outside of payroll issues).