The Herd "Seattle has the worst off. & def. lines in NFL

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Mick063":1sfhnw8t said:
You manage your roster around a salary cap. For that reason, it is impossible to have an all pro at every position.

I would say that having an all pro at Safety, Mike, and Quarterback is sufficient for a winning formula. Then it is a matter of getting just enough competency from the remaining contracts and position groups. Bang for the buck. They don't have to be the best at their position. They just have to be worth their contract. It is about the sum being greater than the parts.
I look at it this way: Wilson's mobility and innate ability to avoid rushers devalues the necessity of a world-class OL. It goes from a must-have to a nice-to-have.

If we didn't have Wilson we would need a better OL, but we have Wilson, so we don't. I'm not particularly happy that it's an all-eggs-in-one-basket approach, but your point about salary cap and managing expenses is quite valid, and Wilson has proven to be very resilient.

So the people who say our OL isn't great are correct, as are the people who say that without Wilson we're a .500 team. But because we have Wilson, both of those arguments are moot.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":34naozxk said:
I tell you what, for a terrible offensive line,that screen play to Carson was a thing of beauty. Would have been 6 from anywhere on the field.

Oh, and 4th-and-6, when it HAS to be a pass, our OL gave Wilson time to hit Metcalf deep. So there's that.
They had a couple of good moments, but overall they had more poor moments. Shell in particular was really struggling today. Wilson also bailed them out a few times yet with his mobility. In the run game they got zero push no matter who was running it. The one bright spot today was the rookie who killed it on the screen play, and he also had a nice block in the run game where he laid his guy out.

Overall it wasn't a good showing here though. We ran a more quick hitting pass game, yet Wilson still was under duress quite a bit today even with a plan that was catered towards getting rid of the ball quickly. This line is going to be a major problem going forward. On the bright side the rookie looked like the best lineman out there today.

hawk45

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3jw8wdlu said:
KiwiHawk":3jw8wdlu said:
I tell you what, for a terrible offensive line,that screen play to Carson was a thing of beauty. Would have been 6 from anywhere on the field.

Oh, and 4th-and-6, when it HAS to be a pass, our OL gave Wilson time to hit Metcalf deep. So there's that.
They had a couple of good moments, but overall they had more poor moments. Shell in particular was really struggling today. Wilson also bailed them out a few times yet with his mobility. In the run game they got zero push no matter who was running it. The one bright spot today was the rookie who killed it on the screen play, and he also had a nice block in the run game where he laid his guy out.

Overall it wasn't a good showing here though. We ran a more quick hitting pass game, yet Wilson still was under duress quite a bit today even with a plan that was catered towards getting rid of the ball quickly. This line is going to be a major problem going forward. On the bright side the rookie looked like the best lineman out there today.
That’s what I saw as well.

We may be able to prosper with lower echelon pass blocking but they have to be able to at least run block adequately and I didn’t see it.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2bd1pqkq said:
Spin Doctor":2bd1pqkq said:
John63":2bd1pqkq said:
So based on today's game, he could be right. However outside of stupid penalties the oline was better than I expected. So we will see.
The offensive line did not play well. There was a lot of pressure on Wilson, and our run game was getting zero push. They did not play well.

They played well enough to allow Russ to dial up 38 points. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

against a not great defense, but better than I expected but again my expectations for the lines are low

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
John63":2dcsordi said:
Mad Dog":2dcsordi said:
Spin Doctor":2dcsordi said:
John63":2dcsordi said:
So based on today's game, he could be right. However outside of stupid penalties the oline was better than I expected. So we will see.
The offensive line did not play well. There was a lot of pressure on Wilson, and our run game was getting zero push. They did not play well.

They played well enough to allow Russ to dial up 38 points. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

against a not great defense, but better than I expected but again my expectations for the lines are low

I believe you will find Atlanta among the top 10 of defenses in the league this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
The run game Quinn knows is our heart and soul on offense typically and would sell out to stop it, we have a passing game to offset it now.

Give them credit for taking away a portion of the offense, give our guys credit for knowing he would do it and dialing up a passing attack.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2jpd47x7 said:
Can’t believe anyone still listens to that clown.
He seems to really like being the contrarian.
TBH, you're the one being rather contrarian, lol. Colin Cowherd throws Wilson a lot of love fairly consistently.

Threedee

Reaction score
If we grade Cowherd on a curve, he's a lot better than most other shows out there. Even if you dislike him.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Threedee":39118k99 said:
If we grade Cowherd on a curve, he's a lot better than most other shows out there. Even if you dislike him.

You begin alluding to an important point here: listeners get to grade Cowherd on his evaluation ability just like he grades the Seahawks on their play, even before they take the field.

Perhaps someone who listens to a lot of sport radio can give a prediction of how Cowherd will do this year compared to others of his species in the commentary business. We can make a tweet or Instagram and send it his way. Tell him people will stop listening if he doesn't turn it around.

Then, actually stop listening. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":4rgni20p said:
Sports Hernia":4rgni20p said:
Can’t believe anyone still listens to that clown.
He seems to really like being the contrarian.
TBH, you're the one being rather contrarian, lol. Colin Cowherd throws Wilson a lot of love fairly consistently.
Wrong! 8)
He gives Wilson credit, but that’s it.
He’s just another “Hot take” big mouthed often wrong talking head that loves the sound of his own voice.
If you can’t see that, then that’s on you my friend.
....oh and, don’t care if he’s from Seattle.

His prediction sure didn’t age well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":hco35o5j said:
Threedee":hco35o5j said:

You begin alluding to an important point here: listeners get to grade Cowherd on his evaluation ability just like he grades the Seahawks on their play, even before they take the field.

Perhaps someone who listens to a lot of sport radio can give a prediction of how Cowherd will do this year compared to others of his species in the commentary business. We can make a tweet or Instagram and send it his way. Tell him people will stop listening if he doesn't turn it around.

Then, actually stop listening. :2thumbs:
Just don’t listen to these clowns.

There is no middle ground in sports radio anymore.

You are either a contrarian or a homer.

The only exception and guy I can listen to on a regular basis is John Clayton.
No agenda, no biases.

All of the other shows either have a contrarian or a super homer.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Cowturd's prediction didn't age well, no?

My prediction is that he'll always pick Dal-ass. He will talk about them incessantly. For other teams, it's like throwing a dart at the wall.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":22vjk2s7 said:
Cowturd's prediction didn't age well, no?

My prediction is that he'll always pick Dal-ass. He will talk about them incessantly. For other teams, it's like throwing a dart at the wall.
There’s only 2 National guys that are not up *allas’s bum on a weekly basis. Stephen A, and Sharpe, but they are both insufferable to listen to.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cowturd will jump right back on if the Hawks continue winning. He always does. Not some of the time, ALL of the time.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If the game is won in the trenches and the Seahawks have the NFL's worst trenches, then how on earth will we not be the top drafting team in 2021?

Clearly if we win then we have to assume that either a) the game is indeed won somewhere else than in the trenches or b) we do not actually have the worst trenches in the NFL.

We are already 1-0. Number 4 in many power polls. So i suspect we don't actually have the worst trenches. What we have is league average trenches and all world players behind them. We'll see where that formula leads.

Tamerlane

Reaction score
Week 1 Trench Warfare:

#12 defensive line pass rush win rate (with one surpising standout on very limited snaps)
#19 offensive line pass blocking win rate

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1306734024040296451[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1305294902335602688[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1306732140982349827[/tweet]

Smellyman

Reaction score
Go Damontre Moore. Had 20 plays too, on a late pickup. Wonder if we will see even Mo(o)re of him.

RCATES

Reaction score
JS/PC combo has to historically be one of the if not the worst team ever drafting for O and D lines. Absolutely horrific. 2nd rounder Darrell Taylor is the latest failure. Every quality starter we have had came from another squad in JS/PC tenure. I will never consider JS an Elite GM.