"The Immaculate Deflection" or "The Tip"

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Immaculate needs to be part of the reception, not recycled. The Immaculate Reception was chance at its best. What happened Sunday was not chance.

What happened Sunday was preparation, teamwork, hustle and focus. Sherman had seen it before, he practiced his craft to remove all doubt that he could make a play on that exact ball. He's done it twice now. No, what happened was a definitive moment. The Tip is a definitive name that separates it from the rest. We shouldn't want to take anything away from the Immaculate Reception. We should want to make history that stands on its own.

Of course, given the way the interviews went off after the game, we could just as easily call it The Smack.

rjas77

Reaction score
BWRyan":1mq2sfbw said:
The swat? The tip makes me think of... yeah.

So lets compromise and call it The Twat :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On a serious not. What Sherman did wasn't miraculous..he was in perfect position like he almost always is. "The Tip" is just fine.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Once upon a time, Joe Montana rolled right, lofted a wobbly lob, and basically pulled a miracle victory out of his back pocket against the Mighty Cowboys. When Dwight Clark came down with that ball in the back of the end zone, it was an epic defining moment in sports, and the 49ers went on to win their first SuperBowl. This came to define their team and led to them becoming a storied franchise known for excellence. To the tune of those 5 golden rings we keep hearing about.

There are many moments like this throughout sports history: Bird Stole The Ball, Michael Jordan's heroic buzzer beater jumpers, Kirk Gibson's hobbled Walk Off Homer, The Do You Believe in Miracles? USA Hockey Team, The Catch, and many many more...
However, something happened tonight that we all witnessed as special; a franchise defining moment in Seattle.

'The Tip' by Richard Sherman, into the waiting hands of Malcolm Smith, was the nail in the coffin 3rd turnover to seal the victory in tonights game over the 49ers. And is every bit of an epic sports moment for Seattle in 2014, as The Catch was for San Francisco way back in 1981. TBH I believe 'The Tip' will be the moment we all remember, that helped us break through to our first SuperBowl victory i.e. The Moment That Defines A Franchise. Tonight was special. May we all remember it forever. Go Hawks!

Attachments

• The Tip by Richard Sherman.jpg
    The Tip by Richard Sherman.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 826

Guardian

Reaction score
Nicknames for great plays are fun and all, but I'm not sure if this one really deserves it. Don't get me wrong, great play by Sherm, but it was more on Kaepernick actually TRYING to throw it. Nicknames are for Superbowls.

However, I'd be okay calling it "Kaep's small tip."