The OL Gettin' Some Love

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
On ESPN's NFL Rewind today they had a segment called Line of the Week, and they gave it to our boys.

I know there's a lot of love on .NET today for our team's current success and the least of that success is certainly not the OL. They are ballin'! TWO ROOK TACKLES just man-handling. "900 pounds! That's a lot of BEEF!!"

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I think Andy Dickerson deserves some credit here anytime a team starts two rookie tackles and have the success they have had its a definate sign of GREAT coaching. Yes Lucas and Cross have talent but there is way more that goes into it than just talent.. way more.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Dickerson must be working some magic and I think it was smart to pair him up with Waldron and have it fit the system. Lucas has looked like a first round pick and I think Cross is doing fine considering the position. He needs to get a little stronger. I think the guards can improve but nice to see this unit be a strength and looking good. It helps to invest some high end capital into the position.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Agree with those appreciating coaching. Tom Brady was always kept clean because of their OLine coach. Dude retired 3 or 4 times and they kept talking him out of retirement with big dollars

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Speaking of O-Linemen…….did anyone notice the image of OG, Phil Haynes walking off the field after his concussion…….talk about meat hooks for arms. Jesus! That guy should be a road grader! Hope he recovers fast.

Echawks

Reaction score
ya if they do a redraft for this draft in a couple of years.. I am thinking we are going to have a good amount of players in the first round

Kinger95

Reaction score
ya if they do a redraft for this draft in a couple of years.. I am thinking we are going to have a good amount of players in the first round
If they did a redraft this very moment woolen goes top 10. Cross and Lucas probably middle of the 1st and walker doesn’t get past 25. Bryant goes 30-40 imo .

5 near 1st rounders is a hell of a draft

Scout

Reaction score
I think Andy Dickerson deserves some credit here anytime a team starts two rookie tackles and have the success they have had its a definate sign of GREAT coaching. Yes Lucas and Cross have talent but there is way more that goes into it than just talent.. way more.
Don't forget a new center. Three new starters on the line isn't easy to coach up into a cohesive unit.

Own The West

Reaction score
Geno getting the ball out on time is helping this group a lot as well. We still have lots of room to improve though. Did anyone else notice our LG literally get knocked on his ass in the 3rd quarter last week?

Geno stays on his spot and trusts his OL (sometimes to a fault) which helps them a lot too. I’ve really appreciated the difference. I don’t get the Benny Hill theme in my head every 3rd down anymore…

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Very excited by what they are building. Damian Lewis getting owned bothers me. He showed so much promise when he started out. Praying that he rights the ship.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Don't forget a new center. Three new starters on the line isn't easy to coach up into a cohesive unit.
I totally agree. An especially impressive bit of coaching knowing there was a whole new and difficult blocking scheme being implemented at the same time. If one were to look through my post history they would see I'm an actual Andy Dickerson fan boy. As a former O Lineman and from the limited glimpses I've seen of him working with the group, I just love the way he teaches the game and relates to the players. He's got the sauce and I'm happy to see the results being reaped on game day.

One caveat to what Scout was saying: I think Austin Blythe has actually been a cheat code for Waldron and Dickerson at center, rather than another new player to coach up. It seems more to me that his years of playing all 3 interior positions for the Rams under Waldron and Dickerson as assistants are rendering Blythe as almost an in-game extension of the coaching staff. He's a non-stop communicator and teacher and is a strong leader who makes excellent line calls.

If yall have the time watch Austin Blythe's Mic'd Up segment from the Arizona game, I can't recommend it enough. I think you'll see the reason why he was the center chosen for this era of the retool.