ANYWAYZ....back to basketball......

We have had nice free agents before.

Were they all second tier?

Kenny Anderson
Steve Smith
Scottie Pippen
Rod Strickland
(I wont list CTC Sheed)
Gerald Wallace (he was so disappointing)
Shawn Kemp
Brian Grant
Buck Williams (awesome)
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Wesley Matthews
Andre Miller
Jamal Crawford
Nicolas Batum

Yeah actually EVERY SINGLE ONE of these guys were 2nd-3rd tier FA's :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys got Pippen in the last stage of his career.. not like he took off to Portland after MJ retired the first time.

But to be perfectly honest, if we're following the Warriors model of how their roster is built.. you already have a superstar on your team (Lillard). You already have his very good complement (McCollum). You have the nice defensive big man who is a monster on the glass (Plumlee). The Blazers have pieces in place. They need these 2nd-3rd tier guys to complement the superstar player.

The Warriors won 73 games with a deep roster that has no weaknesses and flows so perfectly through their superstar (Steph) and the excellent secondary guys (Klay, Green, Barnes, Bogut, Ezeli, etc).

That's what Portland should be gunning for.. because I'm sorry unless you have an absolutely miserable year and luck yourselves into the next LeBron .. marquee FA's aren't chomping at the bit to play in Portland. It's the same problem 90% of the NBA faces.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Atradees":10gd34xz said:
You may check my spelling if you like.

ANYWAYZ....back to basketball......

We have had nice free agents before.

Were they all second tier?

Kenny Anderson
Steve Smith
Scottie Pippen
Rod Strickland
(I wont list CTC Sheed)
Gerald Wallace (he was so disappointing)
Shawn Kemp
Brian Grant
Buck Williams (awesome)
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Wesley Matthews
Andre Miller
Jamal Crawford
Nicolas Batum

Like Hasselbeck said, non of those guys were stars when we got them.

Steve Smith, Scottie Pippen, Rasheed Wallace, Gerald Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Buck Williams, Shareef Abdur Raheem, and Nicolas BAtum werent even free agents. They were all traded for.

I actually think we have the tinyest of tiny chances with Durant. He seemed to really like Portland going thru the draft process (of course that all could have been in an attempt to become the #1 pick), but he seemed sincere about it. But even with that, i'd put it at about 0.5% chance he comes to Portland, and thats just the optimist in me.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah all those guys you listed Atradees are 2nd or 3rd tier FA's. While Pippen and Kemp have flashy names, at that point in their career they were over the hill. KD and LeBron would never go to Portland. KD will either stay in OKC, or go to Washington, Boston or SA (if they can clear enough cap for him).

I got a feeling Portland lands Horford. It would be a nice pickup.

On a side note, congrats to Mr Sonic, Nate McMillain, looks like he will get hired as the new Pacers head coach.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2jsbcwgp said:
Please NO Dwight Howard! Cousins tho, that would work for me.

Cousins is a coach killer and a cancer, hell no.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
CPHawk":3mg41iso said:
hawksfansinceday1":3mg41iso said:
Please NO Dwight Howard! Cousins tho, that would work for me.

Cousins is a coach killer and a cancer, hell no.

Cousins just needs the right coach, but he is arguably a top 5 NBA talent. He doesn't even really have to try and he can get you 25 points and 15 rebounds. Dwight on the other hand seems like a lost cause, but there will be a few NBA teams willing to pay him max money.

OP
OP
Atradees

Atradees

Reaction score
I know....I know......looking back at my list though. All those guys are better than the talent on the roster save 2 of them.

Sigh, I miss the Drexler era. I think can find some Buck Williams types that would be great.

As it is we have a hand full of guards.

Shawn Kemp........I think he actually gave the club 25 million or so back?

So, I think Cousins would want to play in Portland. Do we have any method of constructing any kind of trade?

I dont see the ammo.

“Patience- n. A minor form of dispair, disguised as a virtue." Ambrose Bierce

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Atradees":3khqdog5 said:
So, I think Cousins would want to play in Portland. Do we have any method of constructing any kind of trade?

I dont see the ammo.

Yeah.. you don't have it. The Kings are going to ask for a (no pun intended) kings ransom. And if he ever hit FA, can't see him picking Portland over other suitors.

Horford would be a nice signing if you pull it off, but Boston has quietly been recruiting him since the deadline.

Hawk-Lock":3khqdog5 said:
Yeah all those guys you listed Atradees are 2nd or 3rd tier FA's. While Pippen and Kemp have flashy names, at that point in their career they were over the hill. KD and LeBron would never go to Portland. KD will either stay in OKC, or go to Washington, Boston or SA (if they can clear enough cap for him).

If LeBron leaves Cleveland again its career suicide. So I just can't see that happening. The first exodus out of Cleveland made sense.. a second one, that would really leave a black mark on his legacy.

As far as KD. May sound crazy, but I really think its going to come down to OKC and Golden State. And depending how the WCF goes.. that could push him one way or the other. The Warriors just have to move a couple pieces and agree to give up all rights to Harrison Barnes in FA this year and they'd have room to give KD a max deal.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":30b498jh said:
Atradees":30b498jh said:

I dont see the ammo.

Yeah.. you don't have it. The Kings are going to ask for a (no pun intended) kings ransom. And if he ever hit FA, can't see him picking Portland over other suitors.

I imagine they'd have to give up CJ or Lillard to even start the conversation. I could see them doing Cousins for Lillard straight up, but if you're Portland you can't do it, and I'm not sure why Sacramento would do it unless they really just can't stand Cousins and they want to rebuild with a different superstar. If you could get them to bite for just CJ, you'd definitely do it, but they'd probably also want multiple draft picks. Which unfortunately we don't have.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ugzxavf said:
Atradees":3ugzxavf said:

I dont see the ammo.

Horford would be a nice signing if you pull it off, but Boston has quietly been recruiting him since the deadline.

Hawk-Lock":3ugzxavf said:

If LeBron leaves Cleveland again its career suicide. So I just can't see that happening. The first exodus out of Cleveland made sense.. a second one, that would really leave a black mark on his legacy.

As far as KD. May sound crazy, but I really think its going to come down to OKC and Golden State. And depending how the WCF goes.. that could push him one way or the other. The Warriors just have to move a couple pieces and agree to give up all rights to Harrison Barnes in FA this year and they'd have room to give KD a max deal.

Yeah LeBron isn't leaving Cleveland, that would be career suicide.

Yeah I've heard GS could make a push for Durant too. Sounds like all they have to do is make a couple of moves. Unless OKC finds a way to get past GS in the WCF series, I think Durant bolts OKC like Aldridge did last year. I get the feeling he ends up in either GS or SA. Can't see him leaving OKC for another average team like Boston or even his hometown Wizards. If he is leaving OKC, it is to win a championship.

OP
OP
Atradees

Atradees

Reaction score
Stotts got an additional three years at 5 million per.

I liked how he went with the hot hand and appeared mostly to use a regular rotation. That really cant be underplayed.

Surprising really that some NBA coaches cant figure that out.

Old Blazers coaches:

Nate McMillan

Rick Adelman

P. J. Carlesimo

Mike Dunleavy

Maurice Cheeks

Sometimes Rick was frustrating beyond a doubt. To his credit the bench players were awful. He would sub the whole bench at once.

Nate McMillan err..........maybe he was still learning.

P. J. Carlesimo actually had some misfits winning games. (Met PJ at Psycho Safeway! He was fun (Jefferson St))

Mike Dunleavy was pretty good.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Atradees":2ngnip8n said:

I liked how he went with the hot hand and appeared mostly to use a regular rotation. That really cant be underplayed.

Old Blazers coaches:

Nate McMillan

Rick Adelman

P. J. Carlesimo

Mike Dunleavy

Maurice Cheeks

Sometimes Rick was frustrating beyond a doubt. To his credit the bench players were awful. He would sub the whole bench at once.

P. J. Carlesimo actually had some misfits winning games. (Met PJ at Psycho Safeway! He was fun (Jefferson St))

I liked adelman a lot. Mo cheeks was terrible, the players just ran right over him. McMillan was the perfect guy to get us out if the jail blazers era, and he was the perfect guy to teach Roy and Aldridge how to become pro's, but he was a terrible in game coach.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2p3myn7l said:
Atradees":2p3myn7l said:

Old Blazers coaches:

Nate McMillan

Rick Adelman

P. J. Carlesimo

Mike Dunleavy

Maurice Cheeks

I liked adelman a lot. Mo cheeks was terrible, the players just ran right over him. McMillan was the perfect guy to get us out if the jail blazers era, and he was the perfect guy to teach Roy and Aldridge how to become pro's, but he was a terrible in game coach.

Whatever he taught Aldridge, it had nothing to do with being a leader and making clutch plays.

OP
OP
Atradees

Atradees

Reaction score

I concur......it was a difficult era. Lary Bird said they hired Nate because he was "oldschool". He did preach a strong defense and was discipline oriented. I am sure "that" crew hated every minute of it.

Aldridge........a seven footer with a turn around fade-away jump shot? Just weird I tell you.

Latest posts