The qb3 situation

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Today, Bengals signed Reid Sinnett. He had last played on the San Antonio Brahma’s of the xfl before getting hurt there after Belichick signed their ps to the roster.

So the ps ab market is already being drained As teams recognize the value of it. Why are we ignoring it? Sign Ahlers preferably, but if not have an option.

kidhawk

Reaction score
With our list of injuries we need depth elsewhere. If Ahlers is on the field it’s already a lost cause. Might as well get depth for our number 1 guy to play with.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm sure we can work something out with our farm team in Denver.

You mean, like signing DiNucci To our 53? Don’t you have to pay three game checks when you poach regardless of if you Release them After the game?

Yeah, odds are we lose if a Ps qb goes in there for meaningful snaps but that’s not the point. When qb1 goes down, qb2 and qb3 have to play. Rodgers, Richardson already.

The majority of the league plans for this by having a qb3 either rostered or ps. And the majority of the league also does not have its starting tackles out and a qb turning 33 in two weeks. We need insurance more than most.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
And Dolphins…see Skyler Thompson.

The latest ps qb pickup played two games for the xfl before getting hurt. Which tells me that well is pretty thin. Most teams have insurance in a qb3 And we have higher exposure with a 33 yo qb and both tackles out.

Boohman14

Reaction score
You mean, like signing DiNucci To our 53? Don’t you have to pay three game checks when you poach regardless of if you Release them After the game?

Yeah, odds are we lose if a Ps qb goes in there for meaningful snaps but that’s not the point. When qb1 goes down, qb2 and qb3 have to play. Rodgers, Richardson already.

The majority of the league plans for this by having a qb3 either rostered or ps. And the majority of the league also does not have its starting tackles out and a qb turning 33 in two weeks. We need insurance more than most.
It was just a joke...But maybe we could get Russell after Peyton completely demoralizes him and has him holding for the kicker.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It was just a joke...But maybe we could get Russell after Peyton completely demoralizes him and has him holding for the kicker.

On a serious note, why don’t we just get Mannion back if no interest in this kid as insurance? The Bengals own ps qb got poached just before burrow got hurt ad this is the result.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If we had a third QB, would you want them to be on our gameday roster for MNF? Both Geno and Drew are available and have been consistently available during their time here. Meanwhile, we have injuries at a ton of other positions and nearly ran out of OL on Sunday when Ben Brown looked shaken up for a minute.

If you agree that the third QB isn't worth a spot on the gameday roster, then why the urgency to bring one in before we need one? If Geno or Drew get hurt on Monday then we have two weeks to find another backup. We could always poach a QB off a practice squad if we were desperate.

There are a lot of QBs kicking around in that bottom tier and a fixed number of gameday roster spots. We're not going to be in position where we can't find a third string QB.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If we had a third QB, would you want them to be on our gameday roster for MNF? Both Geno and Drew are available and have been consistently available during their time here. Meanwhile, we have injuries at a ton of other positions and nearly ran out of OL on Sunday when Ben Brown looked shaken up for a minute.

If you agree that the third QB isn't worth a spot on the gameday roster, then why the urgency to bring one in before we need one? If Geno or Drew get hurt on Monday then we have two weeks to find another backup. We could always poach a QB off a practice squad if we were desperate.

There are a lot of QBs kicking around in that bottom tier and a fixed number of gameday roster spots. We're not going to be in position where we can't find a third string QB.

It is better to have a qb3 option in place, a guy who has practiced with the team and will slide in once qb1 is out and it’s qb2 and qb3, meaning for now there is a plan.

The Cards, Rams, Bengals, Raiders, Saints, Jets, Colts, Panthers have already been in this situation By week 3. Which is why they all hedged against it successfully. And why they’ll be doubling down.

That’s a fourth of the league already. We can’t assume we will be the exception.

Let’s imagine if the 49ers had just not had a third qb. Jimmy would have been resigned by default and beat Lance who would still hang on. The whole reason why they aren’t that is Mr irrelevant.

Josh Dobbs was a qb3 brought in to compete with McCoy. He won against the cowboys.

Stetson Bennett left the Rams for a personal reason that starts with r, rehab. At least Brett Rypien is there as their qb2 until Stetson returns or doesn’t.

If all our Opponents have gained advantage by cultivating a qb3, I can’t see whtpy we don’t.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Each team has their own situation going on. I'm not opposed to a developmental QB with long-term upside if we like the prospect. However, if you break down those teams you've listed I don't think many of them have actually been helped in 2023 so far by carrying a higher quantity of QBs.

Cards: Without Murray it makes sense for the Cardinals to try a variety of QBs out. Note that they got rid of McCoy when they decided to go with Dobbs. Dobbs had 2 career starts and Tune is a very raw prospect, so in my view they were smart to carry a veteran QB on the PS just in case. If they get more confident in Dobbs and Tune then Driskel's job could disappear.

Rams: How did keeping Bennett help the Rams exactly? They certainly haven't rushed to replace him. At any rate, he was obviously there so they could kick the tires on a potential development QB in case Stafford is nearing the end, not because they needed another emergency QB for this season.

Bengals: The Bengals only signed a third QB after Burrow's injury so that works against your position. Moreover, when their PS QB was poached they were able to go out and sign another guy. And then they were able to sign a fourth QB when they weren't sure about #2 or #3. Despite all that, Burrow played hurt in week 3 since they had lost both games without him and otherwise the Bengals would likely have started 0-3.

Raiders: I do like the Raiders keeping a third QB, but that's because Aidan O'Connell is a developmental guy who I quite liked coming out. He's on the Raiders roster now because they want to see what he has long-term. I'd be all for adding him if he becomes available, but that's because I like the prospect.

Saints: The Saints are an example where it clearly didn't help, because their third QB was suspended for the first six games for a failed drug test. When Carr got banged up they were just able to go sign Jake Luton off the Panther's practice squad.

Jets: The Jets were able to promote their PS QB (Tim Boyle) to the active roster, but how has that helped them? He hasn't played despite Zach Wilson being the worst QB in the league through the first three games. This Jets team is not a good team without Aaron Rodgers and having two backups did not soften the blow of his injury in any way.

Colts and Panthers: These are examples of why having good backup QBs like Gardner Minshew and Andy Dalton can be helpful. The Colts keeping Sam Ehlinger around as a third QB hasn't helped their season any yet, and the Panthers don't even have a third QB right now because the Saints just poached their PS guy. This also highlights the downside that even if you do carry a good development QB on your practice squad, they can always be signed by somebody else.

49ers: Purdy is coming off a major injury so I agree it made sense for the 49ers to hang onto Brandon Allen. It hasn't helped them yet, but it's a good risk mitigation.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Each team has their own situation going on. I'm not opposed to a developmental QB with long-term upside if we like the prospect. However, if you break down those teams you've listed I don't think many of them have actually been helped in 2023 so far by carrying a higher quantity of QBs.

Cards: Without Murray it makes sense for the Cardinals to try a variety of QBs out. Note that they got rid of McCoy when they decided to go with Dobbs. Dobbs had 2 career starts and Tune is a very raw prospect, so in my view they were smart to carry a veteran QB on the PS just in case. If they get more confident in Dobbs and Tune then Driskel's job could disappear.

Driskel will be the next ps pickup, but in that case it’s a panicked signing to some team’s 53, a team where he’s coming in cold on the playbook. With a relative unknown, we wouldn’t carry that risk.
Rams: How did keeping Bennett help the Rams exactly? They certainly haven't rushed to replace him. At any rate, he was obviously there so they could kick the tires on a potential development QB in case Stafford is nearing the end, not because they needed another emergency QB for this season.

Bengals: The Bengals only signed a third QB after Burrow's injury so that works against your position. Moreover, when their PS QB was poached they were able to go out and sign another guy. And then they were able to sign a fourth QB when they weren't sure about #2 or #3. Despite all that, Burrow played hurt in week 3 since they had lost both games without him and otherwise the Bengals would likely have started 0-3.

The Rams had Rypien on qb3 they weren’t panicked by losing Stetson. The Bengals should have known Grier would have been poached given the last Dallas preseason game, which won’t happen with the two xfl qbs they have on ps right now.