The Shield Takes from the Boobies to Give to the Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The NFL is committing $90 million to a new social justice initiative that supports efforts and programs to combat social inequality.
The initiative comes in response to player demonstrations during the national anthem before games.

It's too bad those pesky protests were so ineffective. :yawn:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Such BS. Take money away from a legitimate cause for one that is completely made up. Show me JUST ONE person in this country that is truly "oppressed". Being poor and impoverished or being made to do something that you don't want to do like obeying the law is NOT being oppressed.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":sidjqnbj said:
The NFL is committing $90 million to a new social justice initiative that supports efforts and programs to combat social inequality.
The initiative comes in response to player demonstrations during the national anthem before games.

It's too bad those pesky protests were so ineffective. :yawn:

Well it will be interesting to see how much actual “change” 90 million will buy.

I haven’t clicked the links provided but I think I heard that the money will be allotted over a 10 year period. If we’re all alive and well, we’ll have to take a look back.

Also seem to recall some of the players calling BS, said the NFL was trying to buy their silence, or compliance.

I question how much of that money will actually go to the cause after the CEOs and administrative staff of said charities get their slice.

It’s a start but in terms of “change”, I’ll reserve judgment on “effectiveness”

YMMV

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The anthem protests did their job; they raised awareness and created a dialog. The NFL, as a direct result of those protests, has moved to take action to address the issues at hand. Now whether they do so honestly or effectively remains to be seen. I'm sure many will see this as an obvious acquiescence, which it may well be. Whether it helps to affect any type of change on a broad scale or not, we shall see. We shall see.

renofox

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2f9wewf7 said:
The anthem protests did their job; they raised awareness and created a dialog. The NFL, as a direct result of those protests, has moved to take action to address the issues at hand. Now whether they do so honestly or effectively remains to be seen. I'm sure many will see this as an obvious acquiescence, which it may well be. Whether it helps to affect any type of change on a broad scale or not, we shall see. We shall see.

I'm still confused. Maybe you can help me.

What, exactly, is the issue? I don't mean generalities like "oppression" or "social justice" which are nebulous concepts that can be defined in different ways by different people. I don't mean "racism" or "disparity" which can never be fixed, or even seriously reduced, by government intervention. (Granted, if you're a fan of statist totalitarianism you can make meaningless political gestures to no effect, while making almost everybody's life worse).

If you can give me a specific issue and a viable plan which is effective I'm all on board.

As it is, the only issue I see is with the excessive police misconduct in this country committed by a very small percentage of officers, but enabled and condoned by the vast majority of officers. Making this a "racism" issue is a losing strategy. Why are protesters negating the experience of so many non-blacks (who, in absolute numbers, are the majority of police misconduct victims) by injecting "racism" into a problem that is so much broader?

You want to make a positive change to address this problem. Push for legislation that makes it a felony punishable by 20 years in prison for any police officer who fails to promptly report misconduct by another officer. Give the officers who want to do the right thing the cover they need to pierce the "blue wall of silence" without facing severe consequences from their fellow officers.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
If you've ever been pulled over and checked out , stopped in a store by security , or any of a million other situations all the while having done ZERO wrong just because they didn't like your look or color you would know that this isn't something that can be fixed with a few million a year.
It's going to take a change of attitudes across the country and sorry to say we are a hell of a long way from that actually happening.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The first step in solving any problem is admitting one exists.

Most people have not admitted all the truths about the nature of this problem, and until that happens, there's no chance at solving it.

original poster

Reaction score
hawxfreak":a2mj1aeh said:
If you've ever been pulled over and checked out , stopped in a store by security , or any of a million other situations all the while having done ZERO wrong just because they didn't like your look or color you would know that this isn't something that can be fixed with a few million a year.
It's going to take a change of attitudes across the country and sorry to say we are a hell of a long way from that actually happening.

RolandDeschain":a2mj1aeh said:

Most people have not admitted all the truths about the nature of this problem, and until that happens, there's no chance at solving it.

These two posts X100.

There is a huge problem but unfortunately I don't think this section of the forum is the place to debate.

This post would be much better served in the Off Field Seahawks forum, although you could argue it doesn't belong there either.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm personally curious what Roland thinks about the true nature of the problem. ;)

sutz

Reaction score
original poster":1mpzh99t said:
hawxfreak":1mpzh99t said:

RolandDeschain":1mpzh99t said:

These two posts X100.

There is a huge problem but unfortunately I don't think this section of the forum is the place to debate.

This post would be much better served in the Off Field Seahawks forum, although you could argue it doesn't belong there either.
Even in this forum, we can't really talk about the solutions, since they tend to involve politics. :229031_shrug:

OP
OP
Osprey

Osprey

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1kzby42f said:

Absolutely true, however...

Presentation resides on a spectrum. It's equally non-productive to dramatically overstate the severity as it is to ignore it.

Cops are always justified vs.
Cops are looking to kill Minorities vs.
We have an issue of excessive use of force and Minorities are disproportionately impacted

Rocket

Reaction score
I would suggest that, since the money was yanked from another program, the knee, and the NFL, failed.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Rocket":1sm8dbsc said:
I would suggest that, since the money was yanked from another program, the knee, and the NFL, failed.

I'd bet you'd do more than suggest it.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
The NFL has alienated roughly 35% of its viewer base with the social justice bullshit. How do they respond? More social justice bullshit, of course.

Rocket

Reaction score
I know what to do with the NFL social program fund. But we'll need background first.

If we as the non-police would just follow the teachings of the father of Doug Baldwin, relayed to us by Doug Baldwin, we'd make a significant dent in the overall number of police shootings, both by race and overall. Grossly oversimplified, bite your tongue, eat your pride, follow directions and MAKE NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS. If you do this you'll lower the fear factor on the cop end, which is the cause in the first place, it ain't racism nor bigotry, it's simple fear.

We should teach this in schools. Save some lives, it has to be a great feeling. The NFL could help fund that.

And get the darn DOJ to fund more body cameras, they're not THAT expensive, and ensure their use. Or the NFL could fund more body cams by taking from other social endeavors. I daresay we are all familiar with boobies.

I know some, and you know who you is, will balk at asking the "victims" to take the first step, but a step that leads to life is a fine step indeed. Communication is a wonderful thing, and not all communication is verbal. Communicate by your actions.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
With 1.2 some odd million police officers in this country, and 324 some odd million non-police officers in this country, it seems to me that properly training and holding to a higher standard the smaller, more concentrated & specific group would be much more efficient and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.