The Shield Takes from the Boobies to Give to the Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2mpo4q39 said:
With 1.2 some odd million police officers in this country, and 324 some odd million non-police officers in this country, it seems to me that properly training and holding to a higher standard the smaller, more concentrated & specific group would be much more efficient and effective.

That's just crazy talk Zeb.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd totes be down for 24/7/365 body cams on all cops. Not sure what is involved with ACTUALLY making that a reality, though.

That being said, Jesus, people need to stop acting stupidly in front of cops. I was pulled over once because my vehicle (at the time) matched a description of an armed robbery in North Seattle minutes earlier and I obeyed every word the cop said. I was definitely nervous, because I've been pulled over for speeding and a dead tail light a couple times, and this was NOT that.

I just don't have sympathy for anybody who does anything BUT completely and utterly comply with a cop's wishes when it comes to being pulled over, or initially questioned about something, etc.

By all means, lawyer up and don't answer awkward questions or whatever, but sudden movements and the like if a cop says freeze? I don't get it. It's just stupid.

Maybe the NFL can "loan" the money to police municipalities for body cameras, lol.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ebcdce0z said:
I'd totes be down for 24/7/365 body cams on all cops. Not sure what is involved with ACTUALLY making that a reality, though.

That being said, Jesus, people need to stop acting stupidly in front of cops. I was pulled over once because my vehicle (at the time) matched a description of an armed robbery in North Seattle minutes earlier and I obeyed every word the cop said. I was definitely nervous, because I've been pulled over for speeding and a dead tail light a couple times, and this was NOT that.

I just don't have sympathy for anybody who does anything BUT completely and utterly comply with a cop's wishes when it comes to being pulled over, or initially questioned about something, etc.

By all means, lawyer up and don't answer awkward questions or whatever, but sudden movements and the like if a cop says freeze? I don't get it. It's just stupid.

Maybe the NFL can "loan" the money to police municipalities for body cameras, lol.

Thread winner...makes a lot of sense to me.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The boobies got pink. What color will this get?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2enzk4mf said:
RolandDeschain":2enzk4mf said:

Thread winner...makes a lot of sense to me.

The problem with that is that even if you follow all directions, you can still be shot. But let's just ignore all of these types of instances because they don't fit a narrative.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 94ddf5b8fa

OP
OP
Osprey

Osprey

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2og7vxgt said:
The problem with that is that even if you follow all directions, you can still be shot. But let's just ignore all of these types of instances because they don't fit a narrative.

Obviously an extreme overreaction, however, he failed to comply with commands multiple times when given clear instructions.

Why the hell a LEO would make a perp crawl toward them is beyond me. There were at least two LEO there, why not have him stay prone and cuff him in place?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't know if this comment gets too political or not, but I would like to see it made easier to fire bad cops. I'm not necessarily down with convicting them of manslaughter, but I certainly don't think they should be cops anymore. We seem to have this weird divide where either the cops are bad and should be thrown in jail or they have a tough job and should be given every possible latitude. How about, "it's a tough job and only really good, qualified people should be doing it". And if a cop demonstrates that they aren't, they shouldn't be cops anymore.

OP
OP
Osprey

Osprey

Reaction score
HawkGA":2hx3wkuy said:
I don't know if this comment gets too political or not, but I would like to see it made easier to fire bad cops. I'm not necessarily down with convicting them of manslaughter, but I certainly don't think they should be cops anymore. We seem to have this weird divide where either the cops are bad and should be thrown in jail or they have a tough job and should be given every possible latitude. How about, "it's a tough job and only really good, qualified people should be doing it". And if a cop demonstrates that they aren't, they shouldn't be cops anymore.
We are seeing that a bit in the Alton Sterling case: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/us/alton-sterling-investigation-police-hearing/index.html

Officer fired for escalating the situation, but not criminally liable. I'd think the firing will make a good argument for a civil wrongful death case.

replicant

Reaction score
Osprey":iu9pbs4i said:
OkieHawk":iu9pbs4i said:

Obviously an extreme overreaction, however, he failed to comply with commands multiple times when given clear instructions.

Why the hell a LEO would make a perp crawl toward them is beyond me. There were at least two LEO there, why not have him stay prone and cuff him in place?

It looked like the cop was playing Simon Says, and the guy made the mistake of reaching behind and pulling up his shorts.

OP
OP
Osprey

Osprey

Reaction score
replicant":ynyzeqm3 said:
It looked like the cop was playing Simon Says, and the guy made the mistake of reaching behind and pulling up his shorts.
Yeah, ridiculous set of instructions, but technically he did disobey a few times. It's an easy argument that the LEO was acting unreasonably, especially if he knew the perp had been drinking.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Osprey":3m9mqc7o said:
replicant":3m9mqc7o said:
Yeah, ridiculous set of instructions, but technically he did disobey a few times. It's an easy argument that the LEO was acting unreasonably, especially if he knew the perp had been drinking.

So "disobeying" conflicting instructions is what you were drawn to? I'm just making sure I'm understanding your view here.

Rocket

Reaction score
A quick followup. A slate article re: the US Supreme Court in Graham v. Connor and how it effected the Tamir Rice case. In essence, simplified, the Supreme Court outlawed Monday Morning Quarterbacking in split-second use of force decisions. I'm not sure how this will play in civil court cuz the Rice case has to go to civil court. He was a kid with no gun that appeared to be a young adult with a gun who busted the Baldwin rule.

(again, in essence, simplified )

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... eness.html

OP
OP
Osprey

Osprey

Reaction score
OkieHawk":qjknpct3 said:
Osprey":qjknpct3 said:
replicant":qjknpct3 said:

So "disobeying" conflicting instructions is what you were drawn to? I'm just making sure I'm understanding your view here.
You asserted he followed all instructions and was still shot. In fact he failed to follow instructions repeatedly. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything that was conflicting in the instructions although I did find them ridiculous.

In short, the LEO created a situation that was nearly guaranteed to end badly.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
We should disarm (guns only, batons and tasers are fine) the police and make sure it is understood that it is a dangerous job and if you're not willing to risk your life doing it then you shouldn't do it. Offer them free college or Sunday Ticket or something to make sure it's worth it.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":lqeu917n said:
We should disarm (guns only, batons and tasers are fine) the police and make sure it is understood that it is a dangerous job and if you're not willing to risk your life doing it then you shouldn't do it. Offer them free college or Sunday Ticket or something to make sure it's worth it.
Wow...if that were to happen your country better also change its 2nd amendment then. How about start with enhanced gun control for everyone first? Why is there a right you can pack concealed handguns and open carry machine guns on the street?? I think the belief LEOs have down there is that everyone is packing so any funny business and shots get fired. I didnt agree with above posted video either but I tried to rationalize his actions and it's likely because he feared he was going for a gun....because everyone has them in your country. It still should not have happened and in my country I would not want to be that LEO. I do wonder why they were called to begin with..had to be something about guns. I see tons of YouTube vids where gun owners purposely carry their assault rifles on the street in hope the cops get called and challenge them and then they can throw out their 2nd amendment crap on video. I used to think our countries were one in the same but having done some trips to the further south states I could not have been more wrong. Washington state is much more like a place in Canada it seems but then again I only go for Hawks games. Go Hawks!

Not intended to be a my country is better than yours because it isn't as we got our issues here as well. We have the CFL Celine Dion and Justin Bieber...nuff said

Mindsink

Reaction score
"Machine guns"? "Assault Rifles"? Someone's been drinking the gun control movement kool-aid.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1jynr3uh said:

Great idea. But what are you gonna do when Simon Phoenix gets thawed out and wreaks havoc in your joy joy city?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Osprey":nog0evvj said:
In short, the LEO created a situation that was nearly guaranteed to end badly.

Agreed, and he got away with murder. In the beginning of the video the other officer could have cuffed the young man and woman when they were laying face down. There was absolutely no reason other than wanting to be a "big man" to do what they did. The etching on the shooters rifle says it all really.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This is a forum to discuss subjects as they relate to Seahawks players or the team or team officials off the field of play and in our community. Every time you guys go off topic, these threads will get shut down. This is NOT a political sub-forum. The only allowable political discussions need to relate directly back to the Seahaws team, officials and/or players.

Status
Not open for further replies.