The Titanic, the Seahawks and Hubris. (warning': long)

kearly

Reaction score
Rocket":vgagjzcp said:
I don't think Cable's cheerleading was for his bosses, it was for the kids who had to change positions, 'twas pure psychology on Cable's part. I doubt he was preaching to the boss, the boss knows. He was also rubbin' the fan's asses. Yep, us.

THANK YOU for the Sherman comment. He's quiet, he's reserved and his arrogance seems to be left on the floor in one of his many closets. Arguably it pertains to Russ as well... he's got a boatload of new closets too.

KUDOS to Vet and Kearly for phenomenal thoughts as usual.

I think the Seahawks FO tried to build the OL on the cheap this offseason and relied on Cable to make it work. The moving players to new positions thing mostly happened after FA and the Draft. Seattle's original plan on the line had Lewis at Center, Bailey at guard, and Britt at RT. Zero position swaps. But when it became apparent in the early weeks of the preseason that the cheap/young OL wasn't going to work, they moved guys around as an act of desperation.

Anyway, Seattle could have sign Wiz from Oakland for probably about $2 million, and they could have probably signed Mathis for maybe $5 million, but they declined both options because they thought they could trust Cable to coach some kids up. Its also possible that this was something Cable assured the FO he could handle as the team passed over OL in the draft.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Great points all throughout this thread!

The school textbook version of Titanic history does seem to fit the Seahawks season. The other backstory versions of the Titanic, more plausible in some ways, are not such a great fit.

Some researchers suspect that the real story of the Titanic was about murdering John Jacob Astor IV, the financier of Nikola Tesla, plus two other powerful men who also opposed the creation of the Federal Reserve. Here's one article that lays out some points: http://www.truthistreason.net/did-jp-mo ... e-titantic Not presenting that as "truth", simply as some interesting questions that call the "official version" into question. And some researchers suspect that Astor was shot by assassins during the sinking, not that he refused to save himself. The psychopathic genius J.P. Morgan certainly was capable of such a plot. He wouldn't blink an eye at sacrificing a couple thousand innocents and a massively expensive ship. Note that as with 9/11 real estate/twin towers, there was insurance and a payout on the Titanic. With the $5M or $10M payout, it certainly was not a total loss for Morgan. A remorseless psychopath like Morgan would probably consider such minor sacrifices quite cheap for the outcome of eliminating powerful opponents with an "act of God" and largely avoiding suspicion. See a purported insurance document here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... neers.html

I have no idea how the alternative version of the Titanic backstory would map to the team's season; best case would be Bevell cast in the role of John Jacob Astor IV, i.e., "Fire Bevell!" ??