The Tundra Post (game observation)

Tundra

Reaction score
First off I'm not Kearly! Second these are my observations and in no way am I an expert. I have been around this site for years and have posted sporadically. I thought I would take a shot and post my observations during the pre-season. So let's begin.

1. Tyler Lockett. WOW! everything advertised about him was true and then some. He really had great vision finding and hitting the holes last night on returns. His 103 yard return TD was great to watch! It looked like he was just running at a speed no one else on the field had. It seemed you could actually see his gears shifting in his gait as he accelerated(I know total exaggeration).His speed is something this team needed. There has not been a speedster on this team like that since Harvin. I think Lockett will turn out better than him. Last night he put on a demonstration on how to debut in the NFL. Let's hope we see more inthe return game and a transition of that display when he plays WR.

2. D-line. If what we seen from this unit last night continues to grow during the rest of the pre-season,the rest of the NFL should be worried. The line was very disruptive and there was a deep pool of players all game that contributed. Frank Clark and Cassious Marsh really stood out. They were constantly getting pressure in the back field and almost recorded a few sacks. Those will come in time I believe. You could see Marsh is more experienced this pre-season than last and Clark just has the tools and ability to be a beast in the NFL. What was more impressive to me was there pursuit of the plays downfield pass the line of scrimmage. On two separate plays I notice both of them tackle a running back from behind. Clarke was about 5 yards past the line and Marsh was about 9-10 yards past. You got to love that type of motor and mentality from a D-line men. One negative that I must say, and this is more personal, I did not notice Rubin except coming off the field once. I was hoping to get a sample of his play and I have not re-watched it yet to really notice. I'm keeping an eye on him since the team let McDaniel go. Other than that I'm feeling very comfortable with the d-line after this game.

3. O-line. I really don't want to touch this one! Let me just say this, the O-line performance left me feeling like I was running for my life from my couch! They were constantly being abused( bull rushed, knockdown, and blown past) all night long. It was like watching a game in reverse. At the beginning of a pre-season game the starting QB's are protected and in the fourth quarter the 3rd stringer is just running for his life and hoping he is going to survive the game to pick up his game check. It was the exact opposite this game. Our third stringer Archer had a better pocket than Wilson. I do have faith in Cable to get this group together though. I mean come on he has been doing it the last few pre-season.

4. Other stand outs. Who is Ty Smith(#22?) he is one of the DB's filling in last night for the LOB. The whole group got dinked and dunked by Oswieler for a good portion of the game.(more on that in a bit) Smith stuck out to me though. He always seemed around the ball. He had a nice deflection where he got burned and then recovered and showed nice closing speed to catch up to the Denver receiver and rip his arms right when the ball was dropping for a big completion in the second quarter I believe. I'm going to be watching for him the rest of pre-season.

5. Injuries. Chris Matthews left the game with a shoulder injury and T-Jack left with an ankle injury. The reports coming in today are that they are both types of sprains to the respective areas and they will be out a few weeks maybe( I have not seen an official report from the Hawks yet at the time I'm writing this). I hope they take Matthews out of gunner position it looked like he was in during punts. That was the type of play he hurt his shoulder on. Actually it was a weird fluke as he was diving for a fumble that the Denver punt returner dropped if I remember and got his shoulder rolled it seemed. He has a lot of promise coming off that SB performance and I want to see more. Maybe this is a sign that Ricardo Lockett is on the bubble? Maybe.

6. Short passing game. I mentioned earlier that Denver did this. After the SB I think the rest of the NFL thinks this is the way to attack the Hawks defense and they are right, to a point. In the SB we had a run down LOB and they were negated by Brady and the short passing game. I believe we are going to see more of this type of game plan from opposing teams. But, I also believe with a healthy LOB this game plan will not work. The key is a hearty LOB. But I also believe that this D-line can be a force that will help negate this type of game plan. I'm just saying get used to seeing the short passing game from opposing teams till this team proves it is not going to work.

7. Jimmy. Almost forgot about Jimmy! I should just stop now for doing that but I won't. He finished with 1 catch for 12 yards. But boy what a catch. The play was a QB bootleg to the left and Jimmy made both the linebacker and the DB covering look stupid. He started the route from the tightend position off the left tackle and got off the line and started his route going towards the middle of the field. He then made a nice cut between the LB and the DB while Wilson rolled out to his left and was hit for a 12 yard gain. I can't remember if the catch was behind him a bit or in front of him but he showed that he has a huge catch radius on that play. I know we all know what we got when the trade happened but it was exciting seeing it on the field even if it was just one catch. Oh yeah, it was in the red zone too(I think).

This was the first pre-season game and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more. It's just great to have football back and not be talking solely about contracts and extensions. I will end and say that I'm happy with the first game all in all and I think that we will see better depth in most positions than last season. (Just fix the O-line) With that being said, if you have followed me to this point than you are definitely bored this morning! Just kidding. I throw this out to the wolves and am ready for what comes.

GO Hawks!!

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Good post. I watched the whole game as well, once through, and basically came away with the same observations.

Our DLine is deep as HELL. Marsh was my favorite pick last year and I'm finally glad to see him do his thing again. But Frank Clark stole the show. He is going to dominate the league assuming he keeps his head straight and stays healthy.

I thought our depth at defensive back looked pretty solid. Ty Smith looked the part. On that play down the sideline his technique looked solid and he kept his confidence and like you said, he closed in and made a fantastic play to break up that catch. The others all looked solid, and all had good/ great plays as well. Saw some very nice, physical play. Nobody was overmatched back there.

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and have been following Tyler Lockett since watching him play at Booker T. in HS here. I'm not good enough to know by watching guys if their talents in college will translate to the league...but he has great pedigree, great athleticism, and is very football smart. Imagine what he looked like when I saw him in HS. He dominated like when Corey Dillon played BEHS (my HS alma mater) in the '93 state AA playoffs. LMAO. Sorry, derailed a bit. I love Tyler Lockett.

I'm not sure what to think about the OLine. I know what I saw last night, and it appears that they stink. I'll give that group another game or two before I really start to form a solid opinion one way or the other.

I hope like HELL CMatthews is ready for the season. He stamped his ticket for me last night. Smith and Kasen Williams look raw, but definitely athletic enough to play the part. I'd imagine both will be on the PSquad roster if they clear waivers. Surely they will.

Of the RBs, Smith and Rawls looked best to me. Not sure if my bias against Turbin and CMike has anything to do w that...but our new guys seemed to look and perform better than the status quo.

Jimmy be Jimmy. Love him.

Bottom line for me...we're a machine...a perfect one if we figure out the OLine sitch.

OP
OP
T

Tundra

Reaction score
I forgot to give a shout out to Jesse Williams!! How amazing is it that this guy played a game 3 months removed from losing a kidney!! I hope he can stay healthy and make this team. I want to be able to yell Monstar!!! when he makes plays in games that matter.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TundraApe":27v2q74f said:
6. Short passing game. I mentioned earlier that Denver did this. After the SB I think the rest of the NFL thinks this is the way to attack the Hawks defense and they are right, to a point. In the SB we had a run down LOB and they were negated by Brady and the short passing game. I believe we are going to see more of this type of game plan from opposing teams. But, I also believe with a healthy LOB this game plan will not work. The key is a hearty LOB. But I also believe that this D-line can be a force that will help negate this type of game plan. I'm just saying get used to seeing the short passing game from opposing teams till this team proves it is not going to work.

Thanks for taking the time, Tundra.

Regarding #6, I think we saw a lot of that quick/short passing game all of last year as well. It's not new, it's just that Brady does it better than anyone. Most teams make a mistake somewhere between the 20's and have to settle for a punt or FG rather than the TDs you saw out of New England in XLIX.

The defense had a tougher time getting to QBs last year precisely because teams were getting the ball out so quickly (and to me it seemed like they took fewer chances through the air).

chris98251

Reaction score
Good write up, glad to see a few of you bringing your thoughts, there is information to ponder from each of your assessments. !

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TundraApe":6nrkbjn1 said:
6. Short passing game. I mentioned earlier that Denver did this. After the SB I think the rest of the NFL thinks this is the way to attack the Hawks defense and they are right, to a point.

I agree, but dink-and-dunk is generally a last-resort option. Only the best QBs on their good days can regularly pull off touchdowns with that sort of stratey. The best answer for it is a strong running game designed to keep them off the field, which is exactly what we have. :D

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MontanaHawk05":rvx3vcst said:
TundraApe":rvx3vcst said:
6. Short passing game. I mentioned earlier that Denver did this. After the SB I think the rest of the NFL thinks this is the way to attack the Hawks defense and they are right, to a point.

I agree, but dink-and-dunk is generally a last-resort option. Only the best QBs on their good days can regularly pull off touchdowns with that sort of stratey. The best answer for it is a strong running game designed to keep them off the field, which is exactly what we have. :D

Isn't dink-and-dunk (with a decent run game) essentially the West Coast Offense? That was basically Mike Holmgren's take on a good offense, with or without Shaun Alexander, and it was what the Broncos were doing last night.

OP
OP
T

Tundra

Reaction score
I look at as short quick underneath routes or dump offs out of the backfield myself when describing that. I like how Montana described it as a last resort. I guess the Denver passing game looked a lot like a last resort used first and foremost as their game plan if you know what I mean. That was reminding me a lot of what we saw in the fourth quarter in the SB from the Pats. We all know how that went but I think with our improved D-line and a healthy LOB, even resorting to that game plan is going to be ineffective against this defense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TundraApe":23d16a5e said:
I look at as short quick underneath routes or dump offs out of the backfield myself when describing that. I like how Montana described it as a last resort. I guess the Denver passing game looked a lot like a last resort used first and foremost as their game plan if you know what I mean. That was reminding me a lot of what we saw in the fourth quarter in the SB from the Pats. We all know how that went but I think with our improved D-line and a healthy LOB, even resorting to that game plan is going to be ineffective against this defense.

Well, how many screens did they catch our overly aggressive pass rush with? In the preseason you have a lot of guys trying to stand out and both teams took advantage of that at various points in the game.

Pete's big thing is to prevent the big play and we rely on guys getting to the ball quickly to limit YAC. Sometimes (particularly when 2nd and 3rd stringers are playing), that takes more time and we give up more yardage. Honestly not something i'm worried about at this point (and it doesn't sound like you are either).

I just think teams have learned to take what they can get against this defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Dink in dunk is negated by hit and hit harder, when they are listening for footsteps they are not concentrating on the ball as well, Wagner and Kam as well as Earl bring that, pass rush and push up the middle also hurries things up.