This D is going to SHOCK you. It's going to be GREAT

Fade

Reaction score
Welshers":3npt9rld said:
Everyone calm down AND TRUST THE PLAN. Pete is a guy who formed maybe the best D in NFL history. He won us a SB and is going to get us back on track.
That was seven years ago. An eternity in the NFL. The defense has literally ranked worse for 7 consecutive seasons. They have now bottomed out to worst in NFL history. No matter how many draft picks, trades, or UFAs they bring in they get worse. All signs point to --> No.

"TRUST THE PLAN" What is the plan?

So far it has been blitz and play 15 yards off the LoS giving up easy, quick completions. The other option they love to deploy is some soft zone, outside leverage, praying while rushing 4 in hopes they can get there. Declaring pre-snap exactly what they are going to do. It has looked like a high school defense at times. Opponents are laughing at them.

-Dunbar playing injured was a HUGE part of why we were so bad. We basically were minus a guy on D.
The same brain-trust that watched him perform kept him out there instead of pulling him for DJ Reed. Let that sink in.
If Pete can't see that, how is he supposed to fix an entire defense?
-We will be getting our best corner back in Shaq.
The scheme on the backend is such a trainwreck you could line up pro-bowlers across the board and it will still bring terrible results. Adams a 1st team All-Pro DB played and they got worse. And they were still worst in NFL History when Griffin was in there. Let that sink in.

-We will also be getting the guy who was our sack leader before yesterday back in Mayowa. Don't forget about guys like Amadi.
7 sacks last game, didn't seem to fix anything. Let that sink in.

-Everyone needs to realize that this was Adams first game back and Dunlap's first with the team. Pete even said Carlos only knew about half the guys out there. He played great.
He played great and they got boat raced. Let that sink in. Also too, D-Line, there isn't much of a learning curve schematically. Veterans are plug-n-play, with some minor refinements.

-We got 7 sacks, the most we have got in quite a few years.
"We" You're not on the team are you? The Seahawks, not you. 7 sacks didn't seem to fix the problems now did it?

-We will make adjustments, just look at how we played in the SF game after our Arizona loss.
Make adjustments???? What team have you been watching the last 10 years? They play their brand of ball and force teams to adjust to them. Outside of some rope-a-dope here and there, they do what they do. You're putting too much stock into them owning Jimmy the Gigolo.

-Pete never quits and said there are all sorts of reasons for hope.
Doesn't matter how hard you compete if you're doing the wrong things. Try running as fast as you can into a brick wall for example. Meanwhile, I will just casually walk around it, while whistling dixie.

Keep trusting in this team guys. This D will be GREAT in the 2nd half of the season. Mark my words.
Would you bet your life on it? Define "GREAT."

Finally, they should get right enough against the tomato cans on the schedule, upcoming: NYJ, WAS, NYG, SF, PHI. But that will just simply be a mirage. The 2 games against the Rams, and the 1 against AZ will be the real barometer.
As to gauge what their ceiling is in the playoffs.

I appreciate the optimism, but the problem with optimism is that it quickly devolves into lying to yourself.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
Who's telling the DB;s to play so far off? The scheme sucks, not the DB's.

Fade

Reaction score
Leee-roy":2c90o8qh said:

Pete.

He thinks it's 1995, when it was hard to move the ball. So Offenses would eventually screw it up if you just stayed on top.

In 2020 the rules have tilted so far in favor for offenses that, that strategy is now a fool's errand.

Pete is trying to adapt by blitzing more. Given the new rules, the best defense is one that confuses opponents, masks coverages, brings blitzes from everywhere.

In the 2020 NFL, Defenses have to fool offenses. You cannot play them straight up, or that will be a penalty, or a TD.

Pete is an old dog, you cannot teach him new tricks. So I have been proposing on this site, that he hires a professional DC, and gets out of his way, and solely focus on being just the Head Coach.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":2su2qkea said:
Leee-roy":2su2qkea said:

Pete.

He thinks it's 1995, when it was hard to move the ball. So Offenses would eventually screw it up if you just stayed on top.

In 2020 the rules have tilted so far in favor for offenses that, that strategy is now a fool's errand.

Pete is trying to adapt by blitzing more. Given the new rules, the best defense is one that confuses opponents, masks coverages, brings blitzes from everywhere.

In the 2020 NFL, Defenses have to fool offenses. You cannot play them straight up, or that will be a penalty, or a TD.

Pete is an old dog, you cannot teach him new tricks. So I have been proposing on this site, that he hires a professional DC, and gets out of his way, and solely focus on being just the Head Coach.

The only problem with that theory is that it's not just scheme. they have players good enough to have a good D the problem has been they missed pre season those games are important to Carrolls process.. Now they have been riddled with injury and the D has not had time to gel to learn to play together... 2 things they need to get healthy and then they need to play together to learn each other... the talent is there to be competitive. it just takes time...

LTH

onepicknick1

Reaction score
LTH":164lphk0 said:
Fade":164lphk0 said:
Leee-roy":164lphk0 said:

Pete.

The only problem with that theory is that it's not just scheme. they have players good enough to have a good D the problem has been they missed pre season those games are important to Carrolls process.. Now they have been riddled with injury and the D has not had time to gel to learn to play together... 2 things they need to get healthy and then they need to play together to learn each other... the talent is there to be competitive. it just takes time...

LTH

I have to agree with most it is scheme you can throw short crossing routes all day long are LB are to slow to cover them and they play to far off if it's 3rd and 15 everyone drops back 25yds if they're luck they stop them at 14yds. Hardly ever do they cover the back coming out of the backfield on a pass. I think they lack leadership someone who makes them accountable for bad play someone getting on them. I think Adams has the best chance of stepping up to be the leader as of this point when the other team scores they just walk off the field probably thinking wow I needed a break.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Fade":30muzmj3 said:
"We" You're not on the team are you? The Seahawks, not you. 7 sacks didn't seem to fix the problems now did it?
What was the point of this? Plenty of fans call the team they support "we". I have contributed to the mechanisms of the team for years by paying for tickets and merch. Part of the 12th man mentality is saying "we". I mean you're just nitpicking. People do it for every sport. Obviously I am not a member of the team.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":moozc62e said:
Leee-roy":moozc62e said:

Pete.

That's exactly what needs to happen for the defense to be successful, not just this year, but for the next 5 years PC is apparently going to be here. They need a DC that has full autonomy because Pete's schemes are frankly moronic in today's NFL. There's no other way to say it.

Problem is, Carroll is a control freak and I have a hard time believing he would ever go for that. I think he still believes he's some sort of defensive guru.

It's absolutely embarrassing when teams like the Bills are literally laughing at us on the field.

hawker84

Reaction score
Welshers":2b0v9csw said:
Everyone calm down AND TRUST THE PLAN. Pete is a guy who formed maybe the best D in NFL history. He won us a SB and is going to get us back on track. There are all sorts of reasons we will turn it around:

-Dunbar playing injured was a HUGE part of why we were so bad. We basically were minus a guy on D.
-We will also be getting the guy who was our sack leader before yesterday back in Mayowa. Don't forget about guys like Amadi.
-Everyone needs to realize that this was Adams first game back and Dunlap's first with the team. Pete even said Carlos only knew about half the guys out there. He played great.
-We will make adjustments, just look at how we played in the SF game after our Arizona loss.

Keep trusting in this team guys. This D will be GREAT in the 2nd half of the season. Mark my words.

I'm going to assume this is a joke?
I'll believe it when I stop seeing our linebackers covering slot recievers... and when our dbs are within 5 yards of a receiver when the catch is made.. they may improve, but they'll never see top 20 this year.....

OP
OP
W

Welshers

hawker84":27ncu6r2 said:
Welshers":27ncu6r2 said:
Everyone calm down AND TRUST THE PLAN. Pete is a guy who formed maybe the best D in NFL history. He won us a SB and is going to get us back on track. There are all sorts of reasons we will turn it around:

I'll believe it when I stop seeing our linebackers covering slot recievers... and when our dbs are within 5 yards of a receiver when the catch is made.. they may improve, but they'll never see top 20 this year.....
Just wait. Trust the plan.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The DC is getting less from more better than he ever has. He's totally great at it. Another way of describing it would be galactic failure. It's scheme or the abject inability to adjust from a D which telegraphs (actually screams it's intentions and coverages). The DC has nothing new to add b/c even perfect execution of a flawed scheme leads to failure. This D has a lot of genuinely talented players who are not being used to their capabilities. This D is on pace to set an all time abjectly awful record of futility in pass yardag given up and it's by a huge and totally indefensible margin. The blame is not fairly to be put on the players as the talent is here but is being incompetently deployed.

The only way they are going to be great is if they change their DC to someone who can see what they are doing wrong, and put them in position to succeed. The later seems beyond Norton's ability.

At this point the only thing the D is great at is being the collective joke of the NFL and it's worst ever defence. They are great at being demonstrably unable to stop anyone. For a Head Coach who has built veryy good D's to continue to support a DC that has no answers is inexcusable. He needs to solve this problem or take control from Norton.

Until real change happens I do not share the OP's positive and wishful enthusiasm. I am by nature a positve thinker but see little to be positive about except for the knowledge there is genuine talent on the team in it's secondary. Sadly the talent is not being well used and the schemes employed are now totally figured out and no answers have ben forthcoming after 8 games.

FPD

Reaction score
Welshers":jo335fba said:
Fade":jo335fba said:
What was the point of this? Plenty of fans call the team they support "we". I have contributed to the mechanisms of the team for years by paying for tickets and merch. Part of the 12th man mentality is saying "we". I mean you're just nitpicking. People do it for every sport. Obviously I am not a member of the team.
No doubt. 99.9% of fans say "we".

This D will probably stay all-time bad at the end of the year. I don't care. It's better than an inept offense. I Experienced Tom Flores in Seattle (in 1992, we never scored more than 17 points in a game). :pukeface:

cymatica

Reaction score
Welshers":jl3kcitv said:
hawker84":jl3kcitv said:
Welshers":jl3kcitv said:

Just wait. Trust the plan.

Trust the plan that has produced the worst defense in the league.

Fade

Reaction score
Welshers":w2u1wrk4 said:
Fade":w2u1wrk4 said:

The point? It shows you're too emotionally involved. You, me, and others, need to do the best they can to remain as objective as possible. Only then can the information be digested well enough to get an idea of what is going on.

I've watched fan after fan get impaled on the sword of defending the Seahawks honor, making total fools of themselves. Due to going with emotion, over logic and facts.

"We" is a huge tell, just sayin'.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":63cwgpl9 said:
Welshers":63cwgpl9 said:

LOl seems I have been hearing that since 2016, like the oline that still is bad

But the offensive line is currently not bad. Are you saying the defense will eventually improve to be an above average unit?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fade":3o20t4wh said:
Welshers":3o20t4wh said:
Fade":3o20t4wh said:

The point? It shows you're too emotionally involved. You, me, and others, need to do the best they can to remain as objective as possible. Only then can the information be digested well enough to get an idea of what is going on.

I've watched fan after fan get impaled on the sword of defending the Seahawks honor, making total fools of themselves. Due to going with emotion, over logic and facts.

C'mon, man. Going after the usage of "we" just detracts from the fairer, more objective points you'd already made in the reply.

FWIW, I agree with you on the "we" thing, but you'll see just as much "we friggin' suck!" and "I'd rather cut my own legs off than watch another down of our defense!" as you will "it's okay, we'll turn it around!" type stuff.

I don't think it's necessarily such a big tell.

Fade

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2o98zaeh said:
C'mon, man. Going after the usage of "we" just detracts from the fairer, more objective points you'd already made in the reply.

FWIW, I agree with you on the "we" thing, but you'll see just as much "we friggin' suck!" and "I'd rather cut my own legs off than watch another down of our defense!" as you will "it's okay, we'll turn it around!" type stuff.

Hmm… who would you believe and take serious?

The fan droppin' "we" reeking of kool-aid. :179422: Saying, "The D is going to be great, just trust the plan."

-or the fan who posts well reasoned arguments, backed by logic and facts. that's a tough one. :lol:

If a poster says, "we", especially multiple times. l am not going to take what they post very seriously just due to history. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…

Personally, I am after info/insite, and laughs. If they cannot provide the former, I am going to have a ball with the latter. If they don't want to get dunked on, they shouldn't post poorly disguised cheerleader threads, trying to give analysis that makes no sense.:irishdrinkers:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fade":1mtl8eba said:
Maelstrom787":1mtl8eba said:

Hmm… who would you believe and take serious?

The fan droppin' "we" reeking of kool-aid. :179422: Saying, "The D is going to be great, just trust the plan."

-or the fan who posts well reasoned arguments, backed by logic and facts. that's a tough one. :lol:

If a poster says, "we", especially multiple times. l am not going to take what they post very seriously just due to history. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…

Personally, I am after info/insite, and laughs. If they cannot provide the former, I am going to have a ball with the latter. If they don't want to get dunked on, they shouldn't post poorly disguised cheerleader threads, trying to give analysis that makes no sense.:irishdrinkers:

I gotcha. It's a pet peeve of mine, too. I still slip up and use it sometimes just because I used to do it so much.

Just saying that I don't know how much of a tell it really is since the usage of "we" is so pervasive and used by so many posters who are as negative as this post is positive.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Welshers":268l5i4e said:

We have "marked your words"!!!! In his Wednesday remarks, Dunlap basically said, "I didn't know half of the people on this team." "I was just 'winging it' ". I agree with most on this site that the Defense needs to play together longer. I'm hopeful that we can limit the Rams to 28 points this Sunday....while we score 35.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":35kc3fqp said:
Welshers":35kc3fqp said:
Fade":35kc3fqp said:

Fade, you're one of the posters I have respected the most on this board for your intelligent posts and knowledge of the game. I like to think I'm reasonably knowledgeable on the game as well, and am typically in complete agreement with the points you make.

But in this particular instance, I could not disagree more with you about the "we" thing. Frankly I think you're being a little over the top about it. I've used the term "we" many times because I'm emotionally invested in this team. If we're not emotionally invested, why even bother watching the games, or posting in a forum such as this? And just because I'm emotionally invested does not mean I can't view things objectively.

I would argue that everyone that posts here or even reads this forum is emotionally invested, and that includes YOU. Otherwise why would you even bother to take the time to post here versus just going on with your day-to-day life.

Just my 2 cents. In the grand scheme of things, this whole argument is kind of pointless